Official NFL Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
He honestly deserves to be the feature back over Jones, but I can see why they are doing what they're doing. They want to keep Barber fresh for the 2nd half so he can just run over defenders. Pound for pound, I don't know if there's a harder runner than he is, he never gives up on any run.

Defensively the lack of a pass rush besides Ware is killing us, but also the lack of a quality coverage FS (hence teams are attacking Roy Williams over the deep middle) and Anthony Henry had a real bad day.

Jason Hatcher came into the lineup over Marcus Spears (bust) though, and gave us something on the pass rush.

And not a great day for the Bears even though you pulled out the win.

Not a great day....for 3 quarters we had them stomped defensively and Grossman looked tremendous. Not to mention we left the game without suffering any serious injuries.

I know it was a s***ty blown game, but overall we had two awful tackles that led to big plays and than a few passes where Rattay just made really damn good throws. Plus I think a lot of those points were scored because we pretty much were in the prevent.

That said I'm very concerned about our lack of pass rush.

I was at the game in prime seats, and here's what I saw:

#1. Ricky Manning Jr. had a bad game, and is a nickel back (I wouldn't play Vasher again until the playoffs, he HAS to be healthy) but Danieal Manning was FAR worse. He took 2 of the worst angles I've ever seen on the Galloway and Hillard TD's, and both of those plays are ended at about the 25 yard line if he hadn't been so dumb.

#2. Rex looked really good against an adequate defense, which is a good sign.

#3. Thomas Jones should not start, period. Cedric Benson is so much better it's not even funny, and he blocks just as well.

#4. The injuries are hurting the team moreso in terms of depth than pass rush. The pass rush wasn't as good, forcing some blitzes that made the depleted secondary vulnerable, but the depth was killer because the d line was dead tired in the 4th and that was part of the collapse.

The injuries SHOULD kill this team on defense (along with Rex still being wildly inconsistent), but since it's the pathetic NFC and the Bears have a bye and homefield, they have a great shot anyways. We'll see, but for that game to be that crazy against Tampa Bay, maybe the worst team in football, is terrifying.

Oh, and the "catch" by Davis to set up the game winning FG clearly hit the ground. So we won on an incomplete pass, yay.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
I was at the game in prime seats, and here's what I saw:

#1. Ricky Manning Jr. had a bad game, and is a nickel back (I wouldn't play Vasher again until the playoffs, he HAS to be healthy) but Danieal Manning was FAR worse. He took 2 of the worst angles I've ever seen on the Galloway and Hillard TD's, and both of those plays are ended at about the 25 yard line if he hadn't been so dumb.

#2. Rex looked really good against an adequate defense, which is a good sign.

#3. Thomas Jones should not start, period. Cedric Benson is so much better it's not even funny, and he blocks just as well.

#4. The injuries are hurting the team moreso in terms of depth than pass rush. The pass rush wasn't as good, forcing some blitzes that made the depleted secondary vulnerable, but the depth was killer because the d line was dead tired in the 4th and that was part of the collapse.

The injuries SHOULD kill this team on defense (along with Rex still being wildly inconsistent), but since it's the pathetic NFC and the Bears have a bye and homefield, they have a great shot anyways. We'll see, but for that game to be that crazy against Tampa Bay, maybe the worst team in football, is terrifying.

Oh, and the "catch" by Davis to set up the game winning FG clearly hit the ground. So we won on an incomplete pass, yay.

Huh...that catch didn't hit the ground? But maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. We did potentially make a holding penalty on the play but it looked like a clean catch to me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Huh...that catch didn't hit the ground? But maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. We did potentially make a holding penalty on the play but it looked like a clean catch to me.

I thought it hit the ground as well. When the Bears came to the line on the next play, you could see Gruden yelling at the refs in the background but no challenge came.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
I thought it hit the ground as well. When the Bears came to the line on the next play, you could see Gruden yelling at the refs in the background but no challenge came.

Ronde Barber who was covering said it definitely hit the ground, but no challenge from the booth came.

Offensively the Bears looked good and they would certainly be happy with that.

But this team is built on defense, and there's just signs with the secondary that they could be exploited again. Mike Brown has really been a BIG loss for you guys. A team like the Saints or Cowboys if they meet in the playoffs is really going to try and take advantage of that.

At least you have 2 fairly easy games coming up now though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 05:32 AM)
But this team is built on defense, and there's just signs with the secondary that they could be exploited again. Mike Brown has really been a BIG loss for you guys. A team like the Saints or Cowboys if they meet in the playoffs is really going to try and take advantage of that.

You've gotta give the secondary a little more of a break. I'm not saying they played well today, but they're also playing without their best cover corner and without a decent hitting safety in Todd Johnson.

I'm much more worried about the interior of our D-Line than our secondary...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
You've gotta give the secondary a little more of a break. I'm not saying they played well today, but they're also playing without their best cover corner and without a decent hitting safety in Todd Johnson.

I'm much more worried about the interior of our D-Line than our secondary...

It goes both ways I guess.

Without argubly the best DT in the game in Tommy Harris, it's going to impact the Bears ability to stop the run and rush the QB.

So to compensate that, the CB's and safeties have to step up their game. And when you don't have the likes of Brown, Johnson and Vasher like you said, it's going to be hard.

That's why it's crucial those guys in the secondary get healthy ASAP.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
Great game for Indy when they really needed it. The defense stepped up big, and it was nice to see Harrison get to have a big night.

If Peyton Manning goes into a playoff game with that same game plan, he can still beat any team out there no matter the defense they throw at him.

He's so in sync with those receivers that they can just absolutely dominate in the short passing game if they go to it. They just usually end up having the long passing game fairly open as well, so they stick with that, but then they run into some team that blitzes the hell out of Manning and he still tries to throw the ball 20 yards.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
If Peyton Manning goes into a playoff game with that same game plan, he can still beat any team out there no matter the defense they throw at him.

He's so in sync with those receivers that they can just absolutely dominate in the short passing game if they go to it. They just usually end up having the long passing game fairly open as well, so they stick with that, but then they run into some team that blitzes the hell out of Manning and he still tries to throw the ball 20 yards.

Yeah, it's nice to see Manning becoming so patient and versatile with the passing game. The short passes are really nice for the team (versus the quick bomb for the TD), as it keeps the offense on the field and the defense rested.

The Bengals made a mistake running early in the game, allowing for the Colts to play this exactly how they wanted. The Colts D is far from great. However, if Manning and the offense do what they're capable of and puts points up early, the D can be pretty effective.

As some know, I'm in the St. Louis area for the week. On their sports station, it is reported that the Rams have not sold a certain amount of tickets so the Rams/Skins game on Sunday maybe be blacked out this week. Which would be hella sweet for me because than they may show Da Bears!

But that would suck for local fans not to see their game on TV. Weirtz effect!