Official NFL Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
ESPN is reporting the Falcons have offered the head coach's spot to Ricky Petrino.

Would certainly be interesting to watch with Mike Vick in that high octane offense.

I'm not sure about this move with the recent track record of college coaches in the NFL.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
You've confused the football coach Bobby Petrino with the basketball coach Rick Pitino, and it looks like the falcons got him! ESPN

Shows how much knowledge the Aussie has of the College Football scene. :bang

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm not sure about this move with the recent track record of college coaches in the NFL.

There's probably good reason to be skeptical for just that reason, but on the other hand, someone, somewhere is going to have to figure out a way to make Vick into a success. There's just so much unfulfilled talent there, but so far, every single scheme has seemed to make him look worse. Stop with the freaking 7 step drops and roll him out of the pocket more!!!

Slate magazine is running a Dialogue (emails between its sports fan columnists) about this year's playoffs. I thought their take on the Bears was funny.

Chris, I'll take your bait and spend a moment on the Chicago Bears and their pea-brained, noodle-armed quarterback. What does Rex Grossman have to do to get benched? Since the fifth game of the season, the guy has 13 touchdown passes and 17 interceptions. Last week, Grossman explained that he played horribly—33 passing yards, three interceptions—in the Bears' regular-season finale because, alas, he wasn't really trying. This Sunday, I predict the Bears will overcome eight Grossman INTs to beat the Seahawks 28-24. (Four Devin Hester kickoff returns for TDs.) After the game, Rex will admit that he wanted Seattle to win because he felt bad about last year's Super Bowl, that he prefers New York-style pizza, and that he shot Tank Johnson's bodyguard. Yet Bears coach Lovie Smith will proclaim: "Rex Grossman is our quarterback." Indeed, he is.

This year's Bears have a lot in common with the 1997 Chiefs team that you mentioned, Chris—the team Marty Schottenheimer fouled up by playing the wrong quarterback. As you said, the 1997 Chiefs weren't the undefeated 1972 Dolphins, and the Chiefs' QB Elvis Grbac was no Bob Griese. The 2006 Bears aren't the 1972 Dolphins, either—they're more like the worst 13-3 team in NFL history. But the Bears' backup quarterback is … Bob Griese's son! Come on, Lovie, God's will be done!

Before I put the Bears to rest, can we all agree that the most compelling figure in this year's playoffs is Tank Johnson? This week, the barrel-chested Chicago defensive lineman pleaded not guilty to weapons charges resulting from a raid on his home that netted six guns and 550 rounds of ammo. As alluded to above, Tank's friend/bodyguard/associate was murdered less than 48 hours after the December weapons raid. Earlier this year, Mr. Johnson had these kind words for a local copper: "You ain't the only one with a Glock. If it wasn't for your gun and your badge, I'd kick your ass." Against all odds, Tank will play on Sunday. If I were a Seahawks offensive lineman, I'd tread very carefully.

Josh, I see few parallels between Tank Johnson and Michael Jackson. Although neither has been convicted of child molestation. So, there's that.

Regarding Playmakers: At this point, there's no way that any fictional NFL could out-crazy the real one. There's the Tank Johnson stuff, the tragic murder of Darrent Williams, the imprisonment of the entire Cincinnati Bengals roster, and of course the whole steroids situation. If I were writing a new season of Playmakers now, I'd just name one of the characters Roidy McGee. He'd jab syringes in his groin during defensive huddles. At halftime, he'd complain of hunger pangs, then rip off the arms of the clubhouse attendant and eat them. ("Oh, that Roidy!" says the indulgent head coach with a smile. Freeze frame on a laughing McGee—blood and tendons trailing from his mouth. Roll credits.)

Seahawks at Bears: I have irrational indifference for both of these teams. I just find them dreadfully dull to watch, even though I like Shaun "the Third Barber" Alexander,* going back to his days at Alabama. Plus, if you believe those Football Outsiders rankings, the Seahawks are the 25th-best team in football. The Bears? Josh is right: They remind me of the 1995 and 1997 Chiefs (or the 2001 Chicago Bears), with that inept offense and a ball-hawking, scoring defense. I can't bring myself to think much about them one way or the other. Is there a way they could "auto play" this game, like on Madden, so that it lasts about 10 seconds?

I've found that most people don't care about the Bears this weekend. Personally, I don't think they've got a chance to go all the way with Grossman, but we'll see. I'm still rooting for the Bears...but I think I'd rather see the Patriots go all the way.

The thing about the Bears QB situation is this -- what makes Griese so much better? Did that guy (quoted above) not watch the Green Bay game? Griese's two INTs were just as bad as Grossman's.

I also think more of the problem lies with Turner. Turner isn't as bad as I make him out to be, but why is this team never in the shotgun? You have a 5"9 (or whatever it is) QB who is pretty immobile and you're going to have him run five-step drops on every pass play? Is there a reason for this? Is Kruetz not comfortable with the shotgun snap?

So, I think there wouldn't be a huge difference in Griese vs Grossman. Ultimately it will come down to the gameplan. The Bears need to get a lead (even if it's a FG lead) early so they can pound the ball 35 times with Thomic Jenson (preferablly more Benson).

If this turns out to be a high scoring affair -- ie if the defense doesn't show up again -- then we're probably looking at one-and-done for the second year in a row.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
Slightly better? Maybe if the Bears were healthy. Going into the playoffs, the Ravens D is simply better than the Bears D right now.

It's been a while since we've seen that intimidating D from the Bears like we did early in the season.

Some of that may very well be the Bears defense simply knowing that they didn't need to win any more for the last few weeks of the year. Combine that with injuries, and the defense could look a lot worse than it really is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Some of that may very well be the Bears defense simply knowing that they didn't need to win any more for the last few weeks of the year. Combine that with injuries, and the defense could look a lot worse than it really is.

I've been thinking the same.

Not to mention they havent been playing their base cover two for the past 5 or so weeks. Had a lot of injuries and havent been under pressure to win games because of their weak schedule. I agree that Baltimores defesne is better. At the same time we have a much better offense. Were in about the same league talent wise, what we lack in experience we make up with youth as well.