Official NFL Thread

Look, most of you guys are die hard Bears fans so im not even gonna argue with you even though you are wrong..

You can sit there and talk about "What ifs" all you want but the facts are the Bears are not "Clearly" better than the Saints. I am as sick as the rest of you listening to everyone slobbing them but the fact is they arent just gonna roll over and let the Bears waltz into the Super Bowl.

You could also look at it like this... the 2nd ranked offense scored 24 points on the Saints D while the 18th ranked offense scored 24 points on the Bears D. Eh, it doesnt matter anyways itll all be settled Sunday.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
I wouldn't say they are clearly a MUCH better defense.. its the 11th ranked defense vs the 5th ranked defense.. Both of them pretty much give up the same amount of yards per game (294 to 307) and the ppg is only about a 4 point difference, its not like its lopsided in one direction here. If you want to talk about stuff being clearly much better, I would say the Saints offense is clearly much better than the Bears offense. With the Bears weak point being pass defense (Its still good, but they are better against the run) and the Saints being the #1 passing team in the league I wouldn't be shocked to see New Orleans win this game.

Actually the Bears' pass defense is better than their run defense. The Bears have pretty brutal against the run on more than one occasion this year (Gore, Brown, Alexander, Barber, C. Taylor have all run rough shot over this D) with the loss of Mike Brown who is an outstanding run stopping SS and Tommie Harris who is a better pass rusher than run stopper but still does an excellent job getting to the running back, the Bears have had some serious trouble bringing down the runner. Just watching the Seahawks game they were having some serious problems stopping Alexander late in the game, it was getting pretty pathetic there.

I don't know what the stats say and frankly I don't really care the Bears have been pretty good against the pass this season they may give up some yards but that has more to do with the bend don't break nature of the Cover 2 than anything else. They'll allow for the opponent to pick up 3-4 yards on a pass but they're going to immediately drop him, you'll rarely see the Bears give up big plays through the air that is saved for the running backs. At the end of the season with Tillman, Vasher and Todd Johnson went down they actually had Cameron Worrell and *gag* Devin Hester playing in the secondary at the same time this is a recipe for disaster seeing as how they're both terrible defensive players (studs on ST however) and will never see the field under normal circumstances.

Now that Todd Johnson, Tillman and Vasher are all healthy and the D-Line being mostly in-tact with the exception of Harris (huge loss) I fully expect the Bears to give Brees and the Saints passing game lots of trouble on Sunday. McCallister on the other hand could be a problem given this Defense's history of giving up huge plays to big backs (they tend to get lackadaisical and stop wrapping up, instead they go for the big hit and end up bouncing off the back.)

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Look, most of you guys are die hard Bears fans so im not even gonna argue with you even though you are wrong..

You can sit there and talk about "What ifs" all you want but the facts are the Bears are not "Clearly" better than the Saints. I am as sick as the rest of you listening to everyone slobbing them but the fact is they arent just gonna roll over and let the Bears waltz into the Super Bowl.

You could also look at it like this... the 2nd ranked offense scored 24 points on the Saints D while the 18th ranked offense scored 24 points on the Bears D. Eh, it doesnt matter anyways itll all be settled Sunday.

You won't here mee saying the Bears are clearly better than the Saints. I think this is a pretty even matchup. If the Bears have Tommie Harris and Mike Brown, we are clearly the better team but we don't and with that the Saints offense (which is the most balanced offense in the NFL, imo) will have a chance to score points on us and that means Rex and the offense will have to come through (and while the offense is fully capable of that, it hasn't proven that they can consistently do so).

So the defense is going to have to deliver, play at its best, wrap up guys, force turnovers and the offense is going to have to play very well (not turn the ball over, make the ocassional big play, & dominate the LOS). I really think we are going to see a darn good game on Sunday (in fact two of them).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
Actually the Bears' pass defense is better than their run defense. The Bears have pretty brutal against the run on more than one occasion this year (Gore, Brown, Alexander, Barber, C. Taylor have all run rough shot over this D) with the loss of Mike Brown who is an outstanding run stopping SS and Tommie Harris who is a better pass rusher than run stopper but still does an excellent job getting to the running back, the Bears have had some serious trouble bringing down the runner. Just watching the Seahawks game they were having some serious problems stopping Alexander late in the game, it was getting pretty pathetic there.

I don't know what the stats say and frankly I don't really care the Bears have been pretty good against the pass this season they may give up some yards but that has more to do with the bend don't break nature of the Cover 2 than anything else. They'll allow for the opponent to pick up 3-4 yards on a pass but they're going to immediately drop him, you'll rarely see the Bears give up big plays through the air that is saved for the running backs. At the end of the season with Tillman, Vasher and Todd Johnson went down they actually had Cameron Worrell and *gag* Devin Hester playing in the secondary at the same time this is a recipe for disaster seeing as how they're both terrible defensive players (studs on ST however) and will never see the field under normal circumstances.

Now that Todd Johnson, Tillman and Vasher are all healthy and the D-Line being mostly in-tact with the exception of Harris (huge loss) I fully expect the Bears to give Brees and the Saints passing game lots of trouble on Sunday. McCallister on the other hand could be a problem given this Defense's history of giving up huge plays to big backs (they tend to get lackadaisical and stop wrapping up, instead they go for the big hit and end up bouncing off the back.)

Strong post as usual.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)

Everybody slobbing on the Bears? Who? We're the worst 13-3 team ever. That's what the experts say.

Or you can recognize that Alexander and Hasselbeck both missed like half the year. Therefore hurting their overall rankings. Their offense is much better than 18th.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
Everybody slobbing on the Bears? Who? We're the worst 13-3 team ever. That's what the experts say.

I was talking about the Saints, thought that was pretty clear if you would have read the entire thing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)

Good post. I'd also like to point out that the Bears run D has gotten considerably better as the year has gone on. In fact, we're second in the NFC in run defense [6th overall], and before last Sunday, we hadn't allowed a 100-yard rusher since Tiki Barber back in week 10. That still doesn't mean we won't have our hands full Sunday. We most definitely will.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
I was talking about the Saints, thought that was pretty clear if you would have read the entire thing.

My bad. I'm multi-tasking over here. And I don't care who picks the Saints. My beef is, and this is just my opinion, that a good majority of people are picking the Saints because of the Cinderella bulls***.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
So, after that rainy last game with Cameron where we won the ol' oaken bucket, as a Bills fan, I'm not going to enjoy rooting against Cam. But hey, he couldnt' do jack sh*t with the defense while he was at IU, so I guess I can tolerate it.

Thats why we have Dom Capers as Defensive Coordinator, Cameron isn't going to have to mess with that and we will still be a top defense like we are almost every year. The thing I like best about Cameron is the offense that has come with him as a coach. Sure, Indiana sucks but they always suck and chances are they always will. However, he had that offense going. He was responsible for turning Antwaan Randle El into an all american. He has also helped develop guys like Brees and Rivers and Gates and so on.

Defense is not an issue here, Capers is running that and doing a damn fine job at it. Were going to have a competent offense now though, and Buffalo is most likely losing Nate Clements which brings a smile to my face.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
Thats why we have Dom Capers as Defensive Coordinator, Cameron isn't going to have to mess with that and we will still be a top defense like we are almost every year. The thing I like best about Cameron is the offense that has come with him as a coach. Sure, Indiana sucks but they always suck and chances are they always will. However, he had that offense going. He was responsible for turning Antwaan Randle El into an all american. He has also helped develop guys like Brees and Rivers and Gates and so on.

Defense is not an issue here, Capers is running that and doing a damn fine job at it. Were going to have a competent offense now though, and Buffalo is most likely losing Nate Clements which brings a smile to my face.

They've got some decent recruits coming in, and they were one win from a bowl this last season. We didn't lose much from this past season's roster. The Hoosiers are bowling this year; book it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
They've got some decent recruits coming in, and they were one win from a bowl this last season. We didn't lose much from this past season's roster. The Hoosiers are bowling this year; book it.

They were one win away from being bowl eligible, but, I am pretty sure that we aren't going to see any coach turn Indiana into a very good football program, and I am only saying this because of the competition in the Big 10 not as a knock against Indiana. They got crushed in a lot of those games.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
They were one win away from being bowl eligible, but, I am pretty sure that we aren't going to see any coach turn Indiana into a very good football program, and I am only saying this because of the competition in the Big 10 not as a knock against Indiana. They got crushed in a lot of those games.

I agree with you there. It'll take a long time before we're talking about IU competing for Big Ten championships, if ever. However, Coach Hep's done a good job improving this team from year to year in his two seasons, and it will almost be a disappointment if the Hoosiers don't get a bowl game this year. That's saying a lot, considering what kind of football program IU has (or doesn't). I can take solace in them at least taking steps in the positive direction.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)

As an Alum and a big fan of what Hoeppner has done...man am I looking forward to a chance at a bowl game with these Hoosiers. The thing I think I like the most; Hoeppner has made this team look like they have balls. And despite my constant begging for my team to show that they have balls, I think they have a chance to make noise based solely on that.

As a Pasadena Resident...god would I ever be thrilled if they could end up here in the next 2-3 years. But that's me dreaming. I'd seriously risk being arrested to high-five the band during the parade.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
I agree with you there. It'll take a long time before we're talking about IU competing for Big Ten championships, if ever. However, Coach Hep's done a good job improving this team from year to year in his two seasons, and it will almost be a disappointment if the Hoosiers don't get a bowl game this year. That's saying a lot, considering what kind of football program IU has (or doesn't). I can take solace in them at least taking steps in the positive direction.

Yep.. basically what I was getting at was a lot of things I heard from Dolphins fans was they didn't want Cameron because he failed at Indiana (something like 18-37 IIRC) but I don't see how any coach could go there and be successful (Like contending for titles not just 1-2 games over .500)

What I was impressed with was the offense he was able to generate there, they had a top 10 rushing attack and he was able to do some inventive things with his offense (Randle El)

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
Yep.. basically what I was getting at was a lot of things I heard from Dolphins fans was they didn't want Cameron because he failed at Indiana (something like 18-37 IIRC) but I don't see how any coach could go there and be successful (Like contending for titles not just 1-2 games over .500)

What I was impressed with was the offense he was able to generate there, they had a top 10 rushing attack and he was able to do some inventive things with his offense (Randle El)

My God, that offense was beautiful under Cam. Cam's problem at IU had absolutely nothing to do with the offense. I was a student with season tickets during Cam's years, and except for the occasional Michigan or Wisconsin game, Cam always made it entertaining. But after a few seasons of Cam's dominant offense, I think everyone at IU was begging for a defensive player or two, and Cam just couldn't recruit them. A top 50 defensive staff would have probably won the big 10 as good as Cam's offense was, but he couldn't even get top 100. Maybe he'll be better if he just ignores the defense and hands it off to Thomas and Jayson Tayler and their coaching staff, but it's hard for me to explain how abjectly bad Cam was in recruiting on defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
My God, that offense was beautiful under Cam. Cam's problem at IU had absolutely nothing to do with the offense. I was a student with season tickets during Cam's years, and except for the occasional Michigan or Wisconsin game, Cam always made it entertaining. But after a few seasons of Cam's dominant offense, I think everyone at IU was begging for a defensive player or two, and Cam just couldn't recruit them. A top 50 defensive staff would have probably won the big 10 as good as Cam's offense was, but he couldn't even get top 100. Maybe he'll be better if he just ignores the defense and hands it off to Thomas and Jayson Tayler and their coaching staff, but it's hard for me to explain how abjectly bad Cam was in recruiting on defense.

Thats the beauty of the NFL, he doesn't have to recruit per say because for the most part the NFL isn't structured like college football where you can be at a bad program and never be able to get the big recruits to come. Dom Capers did an excellent job as defensive coordinator last year and they should be a good unit again next year. As long as you have the money to pay the players, they are gonna come.

Also, they aren't going to be giving him total control like the past coaches have been given here (At least I haven't heard that, Finheaven has been down today and I haven't got the full details yet.) Which means Randy Mueller is going to be able to make the personnel decisions as far as looking for talent and what not so I am very excited about having Cameron here and I think hes going to finally be the guy to get us back on track.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
Also, they aren't going to be giving him total control like the past coaches have been given here (At least I haven't heard that, Finheaven has been down today and I haven't got the full details yet.) Which means Randy Mueller is going to be able to make the personnel decisions as far as looking for talent and what not so I am very excited about having Cameron here and I think hes going to finally be the guy to get us back on track.

Aren't the Titans pretty interested in making Mueller their new GM? Should be interesting to see what happens there.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 20, 2007 -> 05:38 AM)
Watching ESPN, one of the "experts" said that the Saints have been the most consistant team in the NFC, someone want to explain that to me?

Personally, I'd say that Detroit was by far the most consistent team in the NFC this year, but that's just me.