Internet Gambling Arrests Continue

Texsox

I can't believe how unbelievably stupid this guy was to step foot in the United States. Its astonshingly dumb.

These internet gambling sites are set up as off-shore corps for a reason. If he stays on the Isle of Man or the Cook Islands he's safe. Its probably reasonably safe if he resides in Britain....

The Isle of Man is nice.... the population is educated, there's practically no tax, the weather is tolerable, its less than an hour and half to London. As long as these morons avoid the U.S. no jurisidiction, beit Isle of Man, Cook Islands, or even England, is going to honor a U.S. arrest warrant. Basically, they have carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want.

By the way, I don't know if the Feds can get these guys under the Federal Wire Act. Its going to have to be states (with large gambling lobbys) like Nevada, Louisiana, New Jersey, etc. that do all the investigating, indiciting and trials. With all the elaborate appellate hoops their convictions would case, I'm sure it would have to go to SCOTUS. So this is a helluva long way from being over.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Just a general question but, do all states have the lottery?

No. Though I don't know which ones don't. And google doesn't seem to have a list of all that do or all that don't unless I'm just not using the right key words.

User error this morning.. ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
No. Though I don't know which ones don't. And google doesn't seem to have a list of all that do or all that don't unless I'm just not using the right key words.

User error this morning.. ;)

I'm quicker with Google than you...nyah nyah nyah.

From a 2004 report from someone...

Today 39 states have the lottery. A portion of their history can be found at the web site of the North

American Association of State and Provincial Lotteries (NASPL)4: http:// www.naspl.org

The eleven remaining states are struggling to keep their state government out of the lottery business:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma,

Utah and Wyoming.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Just a general question but, do all states have the lottery?

No, about a dozen do not and not so surprising, those states spend about the same, or more, on education. Most states without a lottery, IIRC are out west. North Carolina was the last east coast state to add a lottery and I believe they did it last year or early this year.

Also, states like Utah with strong religious groups will probably never have a lottery. Some poorer states like Mississippi and Arkansas have resisted because of the social implications. Aaska and Hawaii haven't the tax needs for a lottery, so they do not have them.

I'd assume that these gambling arrests have something to do with this email I just received a day or two ago from Doyle's Room (I no longer play there, but they still have my email from way back):

Dear DBPN player,

Your urgent action is needed! On September 12th the Poker Players Alliance with the support of leading poker blogs and forums, PocketFives.com, Wicked Chops Poker and others are organizing a “Phone March” on Capitol Hill. From 9:00 AM Eastern Time, until 5:30 PM Eastern Time on Tuesday, September 12th, we are asking all PPA members and anyone interested in defending poker to call this toll free number, (800)-289-1136 and be patched through to one of your two U.S. Senators in Washington D.C. When you call the 800 number you will hear a recording from fellow PPA member Greg “Fossilman” Raymer and then you will be prompted to enter your five digit zip code so you can be directed, free of charge, to your Senator’s office.

Note: The 800 number will only be active between 9:00 AM EST and 5:30 PM EST on Tuesday September 12.

Key points you should make:

-I am a voter in your state.

-I strongly oppose any legislation that would prohibit online poker, and urge the Senator to vote against such legislation.

-Poker is a skill game enjoyed by 70 Million Americans.

-The Senator should seek to regulate online poker much like the government regulates other forms of gaming, like lotteries.

-Prohibitions don’t work. Any legislation that tries to ban online poker will only drive those players underground.

Again, I urge the Senator to oppose any attempts to prohibit me from playing the great American game of poker on the Internet.

The threat to poker is real. Please forward this information to everyone you know who cares about poker and an American’s freedom to use the Internet. We need everyone possible to make their voice heard on September 12th!

Sincerely,

Doyle Brunson Poker Network

The Senator should seek to regulate online poker much like the government regulates other forms of gaming, like lotteries.

It already is regulated, it's illegal. What the government is doing is figuring out how to enforce the laws. Back in the last century, they used postal laws to stop illicit activities, The Internet does not allow for a nice neat solution if the government wishes to continue to enforce these laws.