Black Jack to do Saturday Game

Heads22

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't know where Hawk will be, but tomorrow will be the best broadcast of the year.
Hawk will be in Cooperstown. Hell of an honor.

Voices of the Game Series Continues Saturday with 'Hawk' Harrelson

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, the voice of the world champion Chicago White Sox, will visit the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum on Saturday, Sept. 9, as the fourth installment in the six-episode season-long Voices of the Game series, featuring legendary baseball broadcasters.

Harrelson, a two-time Illinois Sportscaster of the Year and five-time Emmy Award winner, has broadcast White Sox games for 21 seasons. A veteran of nine major league seasons with the Red Sox, Indians, Senators and A's, Harrelson totaled 131 career home runs in 900 major league games. He's also credited with bringing the batting glove to baseball.

The fifth installment of Voices of the Game is slated for the following Saturday, Sept. 16, with ESPN lead baseball broadcaster and voice of the San Francisco Giants, Jon Miller. On Oct. 21, the voice of the Boston Red Sox, Joe Castiglione, will conclude the 2006 season. During each one-hour session, the honored broadcaster will share memories and recollections in an interview conducted by renowned baseball broadcast author Curt Smith.

The discussions with will take place in the Museum's Bullpen Theater at 2 p.m. on their respective dates. Advance tickets are required and can be reserved exclusively by Friends of the Hall of Fame members in advance of each program by calling (607) 547-0397. Any available seats will be made available to non-member Museum visitors 15 minutes before the start of the program. In addition to its public presentation in Cooperstown, the series will be featured as part of XM Satellite Radio's Baseball Confidential series throughout the season on XM's channel 175, the Major League Baseball Home Plate Channel.

Edited by TLAK

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
No Hawk... :(

I like Black Jack alot though. :) He and Ventura would be a nice 1-2 in the booth.

I am listening now..now DJ is the talking one much like Hawk..McDowell is so laid back..

Could McDowell end up being a regular broadcaster for the White Sox?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
They do sound good.

DJ sounds more confident as a PBP guy, I think.

I think part of it is that DJ doesn't have to worry about stepping on Hawk's toes. These two just shoot things off each other as if they were just talking as friends.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
I tend to agree with Jason's idea that DJ can relax without worrying about cutting off Hawk.

DJ is also throwing some analysis into the gaps in the PBP, which is nice.

My guess is the casual fan likes this crew less, while the more diehard fan could definately get into having DJ and Black Jack because you get a lot more baseball knowledge. Than again both McDowell and DJ are pretty funny guys so I think with time they could be the type of crew that not only is intelligent but also pretty funny to listen to (and sometimes you need some humor, especially if the team is getting clocked).

I think Black Jack turned the gig down cause he'd only do TV (and even than I'm sure he's pretty busy with his band and other stuff) but I think we could be seeing the future duo, whenever Hawk retires (than again, that could be a long while).

Or you could see Hawk maybe do a few less games a year with Black Jack or someone else doing 15-20 with DJ.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
My guess is the casual fan likes this crew less, while the more diehard fan could definately get into having DJ and Black Jack because you get a lot more baseball knowledge. Than again both McDowell and DJ are pretty funny guys so I think with time they could be the type of crew that not only is intelligent but also pretty funny to listen to (and sometimes you need some humor, especially if the team is getting clocked).

I think Black Jack turned the gig down cause he'd only do TV (and even than I'm sure he's pretty busy with his band and other stuff) but I think we could be seeing the future duo, whenever Hawk retires (than again, that could be a long while).

Or you could see Hawk maybe do a few less games a year with Black Jack or someone else doing 15-20 with DJ.

Or dies.