The Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
The Road is great/ very depressing. McCarthy's style of writing is different but fit very well with the book. Time to dig into No Country For Old Men next.

Agreed about McCarthy's writing style. My first book of his that I read was No Country, and I really struggled to get through it, which is not usually a problem with me.

I picked up The Road about a year ago anyways, got about 3 pages into it, and gave up. I just can't read his writing style...

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 6, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
About 70 pages into The Blind Side right now. Figured I might as well read it since I went to a rival high school of Michael Oher's and know a bit about the story already. Plus, I saw the movie a few weeks ago.

Hell of a book. Michael Lewis is a talented writer.

Went to campus and got me Open Veins of Latin America. It’s an analysis of the underdevelopment and exploitation that Latin America has been under since its discovery and the unequal capitalist societies which exist to this day. I think first-hand experience is the best resource available when looking for answers to such realities and the author to this book provides just that.

I've been reading David Rice's Crazy Loco to my History class during our "DEAR" time. DEAR is Drop Everything And Read. The whole school stops at 8:45 and reads for 20 minutes. David is a local author, born here and raised in the town just north. Amazing how quiet they egt when we are reading something about them.