This Deserves its Own Thread

greg775

Jon Garland is 17-4.

Say it over and over. Jon Garland is 17-4.

I hope those who call him Judy realize we would be completely f***ed

without him.

We'd be out of it, baby.

We may or make the playoffs but one thing is certain ... without Jon we

right now would be OUT OF THE RACE!

Go Sox!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:06 AM)
Fixed. :)

Hard to believe this wasn't even his best season, and he will probably win 20 games. That's baseball for ya.

I think he has been better this season than last year.. just some bad starts at the very begining otherwise he has been dominating

White Sox Show Ace

Chicago thought it had assembled the best starting staff in the league this offseason, but on June 8 Jon Garland was 3-2 with a 6.20 ERA. With Saturday night's 10-8 win over the Indians, the Sox starter has put together a 14-2 run with a 2.76 ERA, and the Sox remain one-half game behind the Twins for the AL wild card. Story | Watch

if he can do that for a whole season... or hell even 3/4th of a season we are talking cy young right now.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
White Sox Show Ace

Chicago thought it had assembled the best starting staff in the league this offseason, but on June 8 Jon Garland was 3-2 with a 6.20 ERA. With Saturday night's 10-8 win over the Indians, the Sox starter has put together a 14-2 run with a 2.76 ERA, and the Sox remain one-half game behind the Twins for the AL wild card. Story | Watch

if he can do that for a whole season... or hell even 3/4th of a season we are talking cy young right now.

If Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, and Jose Conteras never wind up winning a Cy Young award amongst them, I will simply be shocked. I was blatantly wrong this year, maybe because of the long playoff run last year, maybe because of poor coaching, maybe something else, but I thought 1 of those 3 was going to win the Cy this year before this season started. I think one of those guys has a real good chance of winning one of those tropies next year as well...if they find a way to heal up in the offseason.

On paper, right now, this is still the top rotation in the league in 2007, even if the key guys only do their career average numbers, and no one has a career year in 2007

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(T R U @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
I think he has been better this season than last year.. just some bad starts at the very begining otherwise he has been dominating

Eh, I really disagree with this. Jon was awful the first two months of this season and last year he was pretty consistant through out. I don't want to take anything away from Jon though, he's no doubt become our best pitcher.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
If Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, and Jose Conteras never wind up winning a Cy Young award amongst them, I will simply be shocked. I was blatantly wrong this year, maybe because of the long playoff run last year, maybe because of poor coaching, maybe something else, but I thought 1 of those 3 was going to win the Cy this year before this season started. I think one of those guys has a real good chance of winning one of those tropies next year as well...if they find a way to heal up in the offseason.

On paper, right now, this is still the top rotation in the league in 2007, even if the key guys only do their career average numbers, and no one has a career year in 2007

Dont look now, but Buerhle may be a large liablility. Whether it is mechanics or betwenn the ears, Beurhle spends too many innings throwing little more than batting practice to the opposition. I suggest if we elect to sign Buerhle, we do so with a reasonable guarantee of no more than 2K and the remainder subject to achieving numbers commensurate with big money. Take a look at Frank Thomas if you want to see what such a contract looks and can work like. Anyone that beleives Buerhle has earned his salary this year and is worth as much or more next year has no respect for $$$. Let's hope KW has learned something positive from the Frank Thomas situation.

java script:emoticon(':gosox1:', 'smid_15')

:gosox1:

azchisoxfan

Eh, I really disagree with this.

This is why this board is driving me to an early grave.

I sense deep down there are still Jon haters out there.

It frustrates me to no end. Repeat after me ... He is 17-4, he is 17-4, he is 17-4,

ad infinitum he is 17-4.

p.s. Go Brother Rice football!!! Crusaders Rock.

QUOTE(azchisoxfan @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
Dont look now, but Buerhle may be a large liablility. Whether it is mechanics or betwenn the ears, Beurhle spends too many innings throwing little more than batting practice to the opposition. I suggest if we elect to sign Buerhle, we do so with a reasonable guarantee of no more than 2K and the remainder subject to achieving numbers commensurate with big money. Take a look at Frank Thomas if you want to see what such a contract looks and can work like. Anyone that beleives Buerhle has earned his salary this year and is worth as much or more next year has no respect for $$$. Let's hope KW has learned something positive from the Frank Thomas situation.

java script:emoticon(':gosox1:', 'smid_15')

:gosox1:

azchisoxfan

You know, I understand the concern about Buehrle, after this season especially. But I think the overall odds are this: we're talking about a pitcher who has a career ERA, including his worst seasons, of 3.79, a career ERA of 1.25, and a best season of 3.12.

I just can't believe myself to believe that suddenly Mark has gotten so much worse that a 4.80 ERA is what we can expect from him instead of the >3.79 that we've seen in previous seasons.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
This is why this board is driving me to an early grave.

I sense deep down there are still Jon haters out there.

It frustrates me to no end. Repeat after me ... He is 17-4, he is 17-4, he is 17-4,

ad infinitum he is 17-4.

p.s. Go Brother Rice football!!! Crusaders Rock.

In my post I clearly bashed the hell out of Jon and made it known that I'm a Jon Garland hater. :huh: First off, I've never been a Jon Garland hater and second, just because I said he was better last year doesn't mean I was taking away from this season, which I thought I made clear in my post, but I guess not.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 02:09 AM)
Eh, I really disagree with this. Jon was awful the first two months of this season and last year he was pretty consistant through out. I don't want to take anything away from Jon though, he's no doubt become our best pitcher.

You're both right. Jon's best 15-16 game stretch last season doesn't match the run he's on right now, it's about half a run per game worse, with twice as many HR allowed.

But Jon's start was just so poor, that I'd take last year over this one.

That being said, the future looks bright. He should be able really put together a nice season again next year and be among the league's best pitchers again.

For s***s and giggles.... If you remove the starts from the calendar year 6/10/05-6/10/06, and, for no reason in particular, add the first part of last season with the second part of this year....

You have a pitcher who's gone 23-3 with a 3.02 ERA and a WHIP of 1.15 in 196 innings pitched. He allowed only 11 HR and just 33 BB in that stretch of 28 starts, averaging 7 innings per start.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)
You have a pitcher who's gone 23-3 with a 3.02 ERA and a WHIP of 1.15 in 196 innings pitched. He allowed only 11 HR and just 33 BB in that stretch of 28 starts, averaging 7 innings per start.

I want that pitcher. I agree that Jon could once again be among the leagues top pitchers next season. Like I said, I'm very greatful for what he's doing now, I'd just take the overall consistancy of last seaon over what he's done this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 01:55 AM)
I was going to argue but the numbers support you, this projects their individual life time winning percentages to a full season. Obviously nobody gets a decision every start but this shows where the team would end up 'on average'. This is something for guys who want to dismantle this group to think about, as usual, past performance is no guarantee of future results, but this is a fine group of starters. They need a tweak, not a rebuild.

Career  .    W    L    Wpct    Starts    Pro W    Proj L
Buerhle .    97    65    .599    33    19.76    13.24
Contreras    47    25    .653    33    21.54    11.46
Garcia  .    112   71    .612    32    19.58    12.42
Garland .    81    65    .555    32    17.75    14.25
Vazquez .    100   102   .495    32    15.84    16.16

Team    .                .571    162    94.48    67.52