5 years ago today...

Steff

This is a long story so stay with me:

I lived in Alabama at the time. I was 17 at the time getting ready for school mom always had the morning news on and I was standing right behind the couch and I had my Organizer and was getting ready to walk out the door when the Fox 6 said "We have a breaking story out of New York" so I paused they said that a plane had the WC and they though it was an accident, I though to myself how in the heck does something like that happen but I knew that it was time for school and I left. I always had my radio on Rick and Bubba but for some reason (most likely because I was in hurry) I didn't turn it on until I got halfway there. They are now talking about a second plane hitting, I knew this was no accident and I got to school and couldn't believe that they were treating this like another day and I finally walked out of my room and into the English and it finally dawned on me that maybe they didn't know so I told them that this was a terrible day, they all looked at me including the teacher I further explained the teacher turned on the radio we started listening to it and was just horrified about not only what had happened but there was all the other threats like car bombs at the Supreme Court building and other threats. The Principal at the school came in asked that anyone who wanted to come to the auditorium and pray were welcomed to I went down there as I walking down there the first tower collapsed the other suffered heavy damage then in the auditorium which was unwatched usually would have been a field day most of time was eerie silent lots of sobbing and then someone came in and said the second tower I went back to the class room the Principal who was a jerk said there would be no more radio or TV or discussions about it and classes would go with no more discussion's about of course this was very hard to do even for the teachers and the English teacher who also lived close to campus he had the radio on low and always on the lookout he also had his wife tape some of the coverage and he played the tape of it. For some reason I remember the day part of 9/11 vividly but the days afterwards were a blur.

Sorry for the long story

Edited by BHAMBARONS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I am a day late on this, but I thought I would share as well. Also, sorry for the long story.

The Barons had just lost in the Divisional round of the Southern League playoffs, so that day was the first day of the offseason for the staff. Had the Barons won their previous game, they would have been scheduled to host the 1st game of the Championship Series that night.

I woke up as normal, and right as I was about to get in the shower, my roommate called my cell phone. He told me to turn on the TV. I turned it on and they were trying to figure out what had happened. At this point it was all speculation. I watched as the 2nd plane hit. For a split second I thought it was another replay until I realized it was the other tower. My jaw dropped and I remember whoever was on the news wondering if it was some kind of air traffic control screw up. I knew immediately when the 2nd plane hit that it was no screw up.

I finally pulled myself away from the TV and got ready for work. I knew something big was happening, but it is hard to truly understand the magnitude watching on TV. I'm sure it was something different for everybody that triggered what was really going on. What did it for me was when I was in the car on the way to the office, they said that all air traffic in the entire country was shut down. At that point, it made me realize that was MUCH more than just an NYC thing.

When I got to the office, everyone was crowded around the TV's, not even thinking about work. Fortunately, we did not have to think about whether we would be hosting a baseball game that night. At about 11, the GM brought everyone together and allowed anyone to make comments that wanted to. His comments were that business was done for the day and that he recommended every go do what they needed to do to deal with this, whether staying, going home or whatever. My roommate and I both left the office, forgot about baseball completely and went home and stayed glued to the TV the rest of the day.

The only other thing that stood out to me is the level of continuous coverage. Basically network programming was taken over for a week and coverage was non-stop. Never had I recalled such long-lasting event. Since, Hurricane Katrina rivaled that, but until that point, I had never witnessed anything of the sort.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Sorry I am a day late on this, but I thought I would share as well. Also, sorry for the long story.

The Barons had just lost in the Divisional round of the Southern League playoffs, so that day was the first day of the offseason for the staff. Had the Barons won their previous game, they would have been scheduled to host the 1st game of the Championship Series that night.

I woke up as normal, and right as I was about to get in the shower, my roommate called my cell phone. He told me to turn on the TV. I turned it on and they were trying to figure out what had happened. At this point it was all speculation. I watched as the 2nd plane hit. For a split second I thought it was another replay until I realized it was the other tower. My jaw dropped and I remember whoever was on the news wondering if it was some kind of air traffic control screw up. I knew immediately when the 2nd plane hit that it was no screw up.

I finally pulled myself away from the TV and got ready for work. I knew something big was happening, but it is hard to truly understand the magnitude watching on TV. I'm sure it was something different for everybody that triggered what was really going on. What did it for me was when I was in the car on the way to the office, they said that all air traffic in the entire country was shut down. At that point, it made me realize that was MUCH more than just an NYC thing.

I was there at the Barons game that Sunday night and being so down after the loss then came the Tuesday morning and Barons became a non thought.

Yeah I don't remember the channel but I remember them saying it looked like an accident. Then it was on the way to school when I heard Rick and Bubba talk about the second tower when I knew it was official. I was on the senior trip council and a week before we agreed that Washington DC would be our city that we were going to in May of '02 and I remember one of my friends come up to me and saying what will Washington be like and I said I really don't know. I will never forget that question and my answer. Such a rough time.