Frank Thomas v. Jim Thome

Steve9347

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
Ummm...I don't think that I have ever posted about Frank being or not being a cancer. IMO, from what I have heard, I do not think that he was a cancer at all, and he is still one of my favorite ball players. I grew up watching Frank, and he was what turned me into a Sox fan early on. So, thanks for dismissing my "call".

Apologies. I mixed you up with Dixie Normus on the cancer call.

Common sense dismisses the other call. ;)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
Apologies. I mixed you up with Dixie Normus on the cancer call.

Common sense dismisses the other call. ;)

Actually, that is only common sense if you have more information about the player's situation than someone like myself does (as you do). What may seem like common sense to you, is not common sense to others because you have more information.

Your information and knowledge of the situation would actually be what dismisses the other call. ;)

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
UPDATE

4527.jpg

Frank Thomas

.280, 36, 98

17 games remaining

4762.jpg

Jim Thome

.291, 39, 99

16 games remaining

Thanks for the update Steve. I don't want to go through the 7 pages, but has anyone mentioned about the LEFT-HANDED hitter factor that we sorely needed. Thome makes our hitting lineup much more balanced. This doesn't mean that I am dissing Frank. I wish Frank can retire as a White Sox.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
Thanks for the update Steve. I don't want to go through the 7 pages, but has anyone mentioned about the LEFT-HANDED hitter factor that we sorely needed. Thome makes our hitting lineup much more balanced. This doesn't mean that I am dissing Frank. I wish Frank can retire as a White Sox.

Several hundred times...

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)

Yep.

Frank would be more valuable than Thome on a team like Minnesota, for instance. You could put him in between Mauer and Morneau.

But on the Sox, Thome makes much more sense.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
If they're so well documented why don't you rehash them? Because they're a figment of your shallow imagination.

Shallow imagination? I think you suffer from idol worship induced memory loss.

• In spring training 2000, a public shouting match between Thomas and manager Jerry Manuel.
  • He repeatedly bashed the club in the press for thier failure to retain Ventura and Belle.
  • Clashed with both teammates and management for his unwillingness to play through an ankle injury.
  • Refused to play first base wanting to DH so he could "concentrate on hitting". (ME FIRST!!!)
  • Thomas/Williams/Reinsdorf
Thomas, while a great player, was never a team guy. It boils down to this. If Frank Thomas plays with the 2006 CWS, Konerko is an Angel. I will take Paulie over the childish, selfish antics and no-show in the post season (.231 career post season BA), Frank Thomas every day of the week. I am done with this pissing match.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Shallow imagination? I think you suffer from idol worship induced memory loss.
  • In spring training 2000, a public shouting match between Thomas and manager Jerry Manuel.
  • He repeatedly bashed the club in the press for thier failure to retain Ventura and Belle.
  • Clashed with both teammates and management for his unwillingness to play through an ankle injury.
  • Refused to play first base wanting to DH so he could "concentrate on hitting". (ME FIRST!!!)
  • Thomas/Williams/Reinsdorf
Thomas, while a great player, was never a team guy. It boils down to this. If Frank Thomas plays with the 2006 CWS, Konerko is an Angel. I will take Paulie over the childish, selfish antics and no-show in the post season (.231 career post season BA), Frank Thomas every day of the week. I am done with this pissing match.

No links I see.

But for s***s and giggles...

1. Yep, Frank and his manager got into a pissing match. A manager the entire team hated... and a manager that wore egg on his face when Frank's injury came to light.

2. Questioning managements decision to break up a team that had the ability to be a postseason powerhouse... clearly cancerous behavior. :rolleyes

3. An injury that ended up being valid and nearly ended his career...

4. Wanted to be a DH because he knew, and told the team, that his injury was a hinderance to him playing 1st to the best of his ability...

5. Frank and Jerry are closer than most fathers and sons - Williams hated that relationship because Jerry always put Frank ahead of Kenny

Thomas was ALWAYS a team and fan guy. NEVER a management or leader guy. Big difference.

Frank Thomas isn't with the 2006 Sox, so what exactly was your point of, incorrectly by the facts, calling him out?

You're wise to be done. That puddle is just about at your ears.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
No links I see.

But for s***s and giggles...

1. Yep, Frank and his manager got into a pissing match. A manager the entire team hated... and a manager that wore egg on his face when Frank's injury came to light.

2. Questioning managements decision to break up a team that had the ability to be a postseason powerhouse... clearly cancerous behavior. :rolleyes

3. An injury that ended up being valid and nearly ended his career...

4. Wanted to be a DH because he knew, and told the team, that his injury was a hinderance to him playing 1st to the best of his ability...

5. Frank and Jerry are closer than most fathers and sons - Williams hated that relationship because Jerry always put Frank ahead of Kenny

Thomas was ALWAYS a team and fan guy. NEVER a management or leader guy. Big difference.

Frank Thomas isn't with the 2006 Sox, so what exactly was your point of, incorrectly by the facts, calling him out?

You're wise to be done. That puddle is just about at your ears.

Exactly. Wasn't it J who stepped in and renegotiated Frank's contract after KW exerciesed the diminished skills clause?

Frank gets a bad rap, but most of it is due to his inability to handle the media. All the incidents mentioned earlier painted Frank as the bad guy, but there was more to each of them. Frank should just speak with his bat.

Which reminds me of a quote, by either KW or Ozzie. Now that Frank has played in 2 consecutive games, is he free to talk now?

Bob

You love Frank, I get it. I don't and have listed several reasons why. I appreciate what he did on the field but the Sox are better off with Thome. I did not state anything incorrectly. All of those things I mentioned happened. You excuse them. One or two... yeah but over his entire career here he was about what was good for Frank over the team.

And what link would I give you that you would not blame some type of media bias?

Edited by My Dixie Normus

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
You love Frank, I get it. I don't and have listed several reasons why. I appreciate what he did on the field but the Sox are better off with Thome. I did not state anything incorrectly. All of those things I mentioned happened. You excuse them. One or two... yeah but over his entire career here he was about what was good for Frank over the team.

And what link would I give you that you would not blame some type of media bias?

This has been repeatedly denied by his teammates over and over and over, over the years.

I don't "love" Frank. I respect his ability. And that ability is well documented to be highly respected by his peers. That in itself disputes your OPINION on his behavior in the clubhouse.

What does who the Sox are better with now have anything to do with you slandering him?

Yes, they happened - someone say they didn't? Your logic behind why that happened is incorrect... from the mouths of his very own teammates, the injury, etc, etc... I didn't excuse anything. Did Paul Konerko apologize? Did a doctor tell Frank to "take it easy and not run" in spring training? Did Frank end up having a major injury that hurt his play at 1B? Yes, yes, and yes.

There is no media bias. Frank hates the media and they returned the favor in kind.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:08 AM)
This has been repeatedly denied by his teammates over and over and over, over the years.

I don't "love" Frank. I respect his ability. And that ability is well documented to be highly respected by his peers. That in itself disputes your OPINION on his behavior in the clubhouse.

What does who the Sox are better with now have anything to do with you slandering him?

Yes, they happened - someone say they didn't? Your logic behind why that happened is incorrect... from the mouths of his very own teammates, the injury, etc, etc... I didn't excuse anything. Did Paul Konerko apologize? Did a doctor tell Frank to "take it easy and not run" in spring training? Did Frank end up having a major injury that hurt his play at 1B? Yes, yes, and yes.

There is no media bias. Frank hates the media and they returned the favor in kind.

DBTH

What a predictable capper to our strange letdown of a season.

Chants of MVP, MVP as Frank beats us in two of the games.

My gawd.

I hope next season is better. Remember Boston at least made the playoffs

after winning the WS. Then they had a worse year this year.

We did not follow it up with a playoff berth.

Hope we can rebound next year.

As fathom said ... Frank embarrassed everybody in the sox organization

this weekend.

he got the last word. Good for the Big Hurt.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
What a predictable capper to our strange letdown of a season.

Chants of MVP, MVP as Frank beats us in two of the games.

My gawd.

I hope next season is better. Remember Boston at least made the playoffs

after winning the WS. Then they had a worse year this year.

We did not follow it up with a playoff berth.

Hope we can rebound next year.

As fathom said ... Frank embarrassed everybody in the sox organization

this weekend.

he got the last word. Good for the Big Hurt.

I think Kalapse said it in another thread, and I've been saying it for about two months. This season will go down as the most dissapointing in recent memory. Only the '94 season compares, IMO. This team simply fell apart starting with that last series with Boston going into the break.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
I think Kalapse said it in another thread, and I've been saying it for about two months. This season will go down as the most dissapointing in recent memory. Only the '94 season compares, IMO. This team simply fell apart starting with that last series with Boston going into the break.

I am waiting to hear KW speak about it the day after the regular season ends. Because I remember him getitng livid when Carlos Lee and Jose Valentin did the same thing swinging for the fences with RISP and less than 2 outs. Now we have a team filled with guys doing the same thing.

He hates this kind of crap.