Where you live, what you make, and your race = how long you live.

Steff

:unsure:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060911/ap_on_...rican_longevity

Some examples from the article...

Asian-Americans, average per capita income of $21,566, have a life expectancy of 84.9 years.

_Northland low-income rural whites, $17,758, 79 years.

_Middle America (mostly white), $24,640, 77.9 years.

_Low income whites in Appalachia, Mississippi Valley, $16,390, 75 years.

_Western American Indians, $10,029, 72.7 years.

_Black Middle America, $15,412, 72.9 years.

_Southern low-income rural blacks, $10,463, 71.2 years.

_High-risk urban blacks, $14,800, 71.1 years.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
:unsure:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060911/ap_on_...rican_longevity

Some examples from the article...

Asian-Americans, average per capita income of $21,566, have a life expectancy of 84.9 years.

_Northland low-income rural whites, $17,758, 79 years.

_Middle America (mostly white), $24,640, 77.9 years.

_Low income whites in Appalachia, Mississippi Valley, $16,390, 75 years.

_Western American Indians, $10,029, 72.7 years.

_Black Middle America, $15,412, 72.9 years.

_Southern low-income rural blacks, $10,463, 71.2 years.

_High-risk urban blacks, $14,800, 71.1 years.

Wow. American Indians in the west, many of whom live on reservations in squalor and who tend to drink and smoke a lot, outlive many black subgroups. That's pretty amazing.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Wow. American Indians in the west, many of whom live on reservations in squalor and who tend to drink and smoke a lot, outlive many black subgroups. That's pretty amazing.

That did not surprise me at all. They may live in squalor.. but they see happy as clams. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
That did not surprise me at all. They may live in squalor.. but they see happy as clams. :huh

Its funny, I think part of it is stress. Most people living out there in the backcountry of NM, AZ, etc., have very simple lives. Less stress of many sorts (though more stress to survive).

Note that many counties in Colorado are among the highest life spans, and many states are out west in general as well. Better weather, more recreation opportunities, and a more relaxed lifestyle.

And, for example, why would New Mexico (low income levels, highest incidence of alcoholism) be ranked above Illinois with its strong healthcare and high income levels? Lifestyle? Weather? Chile peppers (helps the heart)? I think use city folk are burning ourselves out.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
Its funny, I think part of it is stress. Most people living out there in the backcountry of NM, AZ, etc., have very simple lives. Less stress of many sorts (though more stress to survive).

Note that many counties in Colorado are among the highest life spans, and many states are out west in general as well. Better weather, more recreation opportunities, and a more relaxed lifestyle.

And, for example, why would New Mexico (low income levels, highest incidence of alcoholism) be ranked above Illinois with its strong healthcare and high income levels? Lifestyle? Weather? Chile peppers (helps the heart)? I think use city folk are burning ourselves out.

Oh I definitely agree 100% it's the stress free life that makes the difference. They have so little. They do so little (by that I mean they don't work 80 hours a week). Money isn't the root for them. And they seem to be totally happy and content. It's amazing.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Oh I definitely agree 100% it's the stress free life that makes the difference. They have so little. They do so little (by that I mean they don't work 80 hours a week). Money isn't the root for them. And they seem to be totally happy and content. It's amazing.

Link

On a scale of 1 to 7, where 1 means "not at all satisfied with my life" and 7 means "completely satisfied," the people on Forbes magazine's list of the 400 richest Americans average 5.8—the same as the Inuit people in Greenland and the cattle-herding Masai of Kenya, who live in dung huts with no electricity or running water. Calcutta's slum dwellers score only a little lower, at 4.6.

Saw that a couple of weeks ago, and seemed very relevant to Steff's point.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Link

On a scale of 1 to 7, where 1 means "not at all satisfied with my life" and 7 means "completely satisfied," the people on Forbes magazine's list of the 400 richest Americans average 5.8—the same as the Inuit people in Greenland and the cattle-herding Masai of Kenya, who live in dung huts with no electricity or running water. Calcutta's slum dwellers score only a little lower, at 4.6.

Saw that a couple of weeks ago, and seemed very relevant to Steff's point.

Cool article. Thanks Soxy.