Figgins for Crede Article

DBAHO

As part of a package for Joe;

ANAHEIM - Chone Figgins says he feels at home in center field, a residency that could be short-lived depending on offseason maneuverings that could wind up with the utility man getting traded.

"I'm starting to love center field a little bit because it's just fun to get out there and run," Figgins said. "I never got to actually run around in baseball except for on the base paths. I've always watched guys go out there like (Ken) Griffey (Jr.) and those guys go out there and run in the outfield. I always thought it would be fun."

It actually ended up being hard work that has paid off.

"I've been doing a better job on getting jumps, doing a better job on throwing to the base, getting a chance to throw people out," said Figgins, who did lose a ball in the sun Sunday that allowed a run to score.

The Chicago White Sox, who are in town this week, could be a trade partner since they likely will be shopping for a center fielder, left fielder and shortstop this winter.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is on record as saying he is a fan of Figgins. Before Monday's game, Guillen said the team will be on the market for speed, a sign that arbitration-eligible left fielder Scott Podsednik likely won't be tendered a contract this offseason.

Figgins could be part of a package to land White Sox third baseman Joe Crede, who is arbitration eligible after this season and is the middle of a breakout season after a standout postseason. White Sox general manager Ken Williams has a tenuous relationship with Scott Boras, Crede's agent. Boras is an Angels season ticket holder and represents Jered Weaver and Chris Bootcheck.

Figgins, who is signed through 2008, would like to stay with the Angels, but there is a chance he could end up with a backup role if the team adds a center fielder and a third baseman. He likely would be dealt in that scenario.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

f*** that, Joe Crede is a franchise third baseman that you don't get rid of for a scrawny little slap-hitting leadoff guy...

we can do better, while not trading such a key to our team... Joe will be hitting 4th or 5th for this team when Thome is gone...

oh, Lord, I just realized that Paul "double play" Konerko is on this team for 4 more years after this one...

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
Crede for Figgins is just too much like Lee for Pods in terms of ability. I just can't see KW and JR wanting to get rid of Crede though.

no way in hell you think about this sort of deal unless Brandon Wood or Howie Kendrick is involved. Anaheim will not deal them either, so this is a no go.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
Crede for Figgins is just too much like Lee for Pods in terms of ability. I just can't see KW and JR wanting to get rid of Crede though.

There are two ways Crede could leave Chicago this winter.

#1 Borass wants something outrageous for a long term deal

#2 The Sox are really worried his back won't hold up as we are getting closer to having to give Crede some big years and dollars.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Irwin. :bang

OH GOD NO, NOT A MISSPELLING!!! HOLY CRAP, NOW I HAVE TO GO KILL MYSELF. :crying

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
no way in hell you think about this sort of deal unless Brandon Wood or Howie Kendrick is involved. Anaheim will not deal them either, so this is a no go.

Yeah, I'd do Figgins and Kendrick for Crede. I'm not thrilled at the thought of Figgins being an everyday player, but Kendrick is one helluva player, and is going to be an excellent second baseman, not to mention dirt cheap for the next five years.

If the Sox are shopping for a new LF, CF and SS, why would they create a hole by trading Crede. I mean, Fields COULD be good, but who knows if he is. Unless they put Figgins at SS, not that he's very good there.

Not gonna happen like this...but I won't say we won't get Figgins some way.

Has anyone else noticed the one other thing about Figgins this season...he's been abjectly awful? He was hitting 9th for the Angels last night for a reason...when Scioscia's leadoff hitter turns to crap, he drops them in the order.

Batting .256 this season. OBP is .327. Slugging .351.

SB: 48/62 (77.4%)

Versus Podsednik:

Batting .259, OBP .328, slugging .354.

SB: 39/54 (72.2%)

In other words...Figgins has basically been Podsednik with a few more chances to steal this season. He's been equally bad with the bat (more home runs than Pods, but fewer doubles and triples), he gets thrown out a lot...defense, he's committed 4 errors in about 100 games in the OF this season, which is a pace slightly better than Podsednik's 8 in 130 (although he does have somewhat better range).

In other words, why do I want another Podsednik?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Say it isn't so.

NEVER TRADE JOE!

f*** Boras. There has to come a time we deal with that guy.

If we trade Joe for some Pierre/Figgins type, we are a joke of an organization.

Why are you effing Boras...?? He hasn't done anything... yet.

f*** that, Joe Crede is a franchise third baseman that you don't get rid of for a scrawny little slap-hitting leadoff guy...

Unless you really like small-ball and grinders...

Yes, this is all speculation from a journalist, but unfortunately it makes all too much sense. I could easily see KW doing this.

Angels farm system is stocked.

They've got prospects at nearly every position.

Toss in one of their studs and it could happen.

I love Crede, but his back issues, the Boras factor and the presence of Fields makes me believe he could be the next piece out of town because he's got value.

But we have to get a top of the line prospect, plus Figgins.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Unless you really like small-ball and grinders...

Yes, this is all speculation from a journalist, but unfortunately it makes all too much sense. I could easily see KW doing this.

No... it really makes very little sense.

plus do we really need a new CF?

Ozzie thinks we do.

No... it really makes very little sense.

To you it makes little sense. To me it makes little sense. To most Sox fans it makes little sense. To KW and Ozzie, it might make a lot of sense.

Don't be surprised if one of the following two trades happens:

Crede for Figgins and an A- prospect

or

Crede for Figgins and a decent major league reliever.