Gamethread: 9/12, Sox v. Angels

Gregory Pratt

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
Nope...it's not over until Mr. Pessimism says so. Wait until after our Tigers series next week....that's when we'll know.

Definitely not over, but logistically doesn't look very good. Schedule favors the Tigers and Twins bigtime. Twins will run away with it though with Liriano back.

I think we have to go 2-2 over the next 4 and then sweep the Tigers and hope KC plays against them like they do against us.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:20 AM)
I guess I'd root for Maggs also.

Tigers and A's.

Maybe it's me, but I don't want to see Ordonez or Thomas win the WS if they're not on the White Sox. It would be like rooting for my fiance to marry a millionaire if we ever divorce.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
I knew somebody woudl take my 9-11 comment the wrong way.

Seriously watch that documentary. Best piece of TV I've ever seen.

It was so sad.

Not really the wrong way, just that the original comment was so absurd and trite that it actually was funny.

That's all.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:21 AM)
Its over. Im sick of seeing myself care more about these games then our manager and our hitters. Its disgusting.

This team isnt just going to turn "it" on. "It" left a while ago, and there is no reason to think "IT" is coming back.

Well...if you think we won't make it, then root for more games where Pods disgraces himself, just to make sure he doesn't come back next year. Also, I'll say a prayer that Ozzie goes off in the media again, and Garcia tells off his teammates again.

Real quick...please don't close this thread mods. It's very civil, and it's easier to keep the conversation going.

Good line, fathom.

Like Tony this is the first night I've felt deep down we are done.

Hope Sox can prove me wrong but for first time I feel like it is over.

Too late and we have shown no reason for optimism that we could overtake

Minnie. Maybe if Detroit keeps losing.

Oh ya...I still worry that Contreras or Thome will have major offseason surgery.

Those two guys are reasons that I'm not entirely optimistic about his team's future. Both of them are old players and could go down with major injuries at any time. Plus, skills tend to diminish at their ages.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
I think the Sox won't make it to the playoffs for the same reasons I've thought that for weeks:

1. The Sox are behind the Twins and Tigers in the race.

2. The Sox are a worse team than the Twins and the Tigers.

Bot the Twins and Tigers have proven themselves to be bette teams this year. And they have been considerably better in the stretch run.

Our record vs the Royals and Devil Rays. And our inability to hit at all in the 2nd half.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:20 AM)
Definitely not over, but logistically doesn't look very good. Schedule favors the Tigers and Twins bigtime. Twins will run away with it though with Liriano back.

I think we have to go 2-2 over the next 4 and then sweep the Tigers and hope KC plays against them like they do against us.

The Twins have given us no reason to think they won't keep playing excellent baseball.

R.I.P

Chicago White Sox Season

April 4, 2006-September 12, 2006

Well, that about closes the book on the 2006 season. I suppose some kind words for the team are in order, a sort of eulogy, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
The Twins will win the World Series this year. They have the perfect combination of 2 dominant starters, a sick bullpen, excellent defense and a good enough offense fueled by lefty thump and good average situational hitters.

I'll be curious to see what the arrival of Liriano does for them. He's great -- really great. But the fact is, they've gotten the pitching even without him. And sometimes when a team tells itself to keep playing until someone returns, they don't play quite as well when that guy gets back. It happened time and again with the Cubs and Prior in 2004 and 2005. They'd play reasonably well without him, saying "and just wait until he gets back" and then actually play worse when he arrived. I mean, it is the Cubs, but still . . . something to think about.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:23 AM)
Those two guys are reasons that I'm not entirely optimistic about his team's future. Both of them are old players and could go down with major injuries at any time. Plus, skills tend to diminish at their ages.

Bonderman, A. Miller, Zumaya, Santana, Liriano, Garza, Sabathia, and Sowers.

Those guys worry me about our team's future.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)
There isn't a chance in hell that Im going to stop rooting for this, or stop watching. And im sure this team will give us all another big tease, and 10 other idiots will do the same dumb ass thing im doing now.

Its just beyond frustrating, and I guess tonight was my breaking point.

The disappointing thing to me was just to see Gload's hustle on his double....and how we don't see that from our core players. I made the comment that we need more Pablo in extra innings. I think I'd rather see Gload and Pablo bat in extra innings than Thome and PK.

Bonderman, A. Miller, Zumaya, Santana, Liriano, Garza, Sabathia, and Sowers.

Those guys worry me about our team's future.

The disappointing thing to me was just to see Gload's hustle on his double....and how we don't see that from our core players. I made the comment that we need more Pablo in extra innings. I think I'd rather see Gload and Pablo bat in extra innings than Thome and PK.

And 2-3 years from now, you might add Teahen, Gordon, Butler, Hochevar to that list.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:25 AM)
But they don't have anything besides 2 starters. I thought they were done?

They have like 6 good relievers in their pen....not exactly like our 2 reliable guys now (might be 1 by the time the paper comes out tomorrow).

I'd like to see Liriano do something more than throw 50 pitches in AAA before I concede anything to the Twins.

Outside of Santana they have no starter who can shut down anyone (well except the Tigers recent pathetic hitting)

The Post season is all about pitching, and Detroit's is far superior without a 100% Liriano. I would take Chicago's starters over Boof and the Gang easily as well.