Gamethread: 9/12, Sox v. Angels

Gregory Pratt

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
The disappointing thing to me was just to see Gload's hustle on his double....and how we don't see that from our core players. I made the comment that we need more Pablo in extra innings. I think I'd rather see Gload and Pablo bat in extra innings than Thome and PK.

Same thing I felt last week watching Sweeney in Boston -- just that shot of energy from a guy who doesn't ordinarily play. It's something to see.

All I want this offseason is the following to start off with.

The dismisal of Cora and Walker.

The hiring of a vet third base coach who has a clue.

The hiring of a high OBP line drive hitting coach like maybe Paul Molitor.

The remodeling of US Cell to move the fences back so our meathead hitters dont get confused on the object of hitting next ASB.

The removal of pets of the manager, like Pods and Garcia.

The hiring of a vet bench coach that can assist ozzie with these tough baseball decisions.

A set lineup that plays more than 25 percent of the time.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I didn't mean it to be trite; I guess I've been thinking about that documentary all

day and inserted it in my Sox comments.

That's fine, it's just out of place. If I get fired from my job and dumped by my girl and evicted by my apartment and someone tells me that, hey, it's not the end of the world, why, look at all those Holocaust victims, I think he should get punched in the face. It could almost always be worse, and yeah it's just a game, but this still sucks.

man the pessimism is driving me nuts around here, I know things don't look good but the season is not over

it might be much harder to make the playoffs than we had hoped, but its not like we've dropped dead

I think if we can hang even with detroit until next week and sweep them then we have a damn good chance at making the playoffs

the recent play has been looking up, it just has not translated to wins

tonights game was not as disgustingly bad as people are making it out to be. K-Rod has not allowed a run in 3 months and people are mad we blew an opportunity to score off of him? And besides that inning we only blew 1 other opportunity (less than the angels did); we had some hard hit balls that got caught, the Angels played some good defense and ended up with the win

so yes it sucked, but the season isn't over

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Who do you have then.....Singletary and J.R. Reynolds?

One of the best backcourts in the country. And the new arena. Already have my season tix. Should be a fun year. Few Top 100 players coming in to help at the 3 and 4. Center will still be a lil bit of an issue, but there really aren't Many "centers" in the college game today anyway. They are in the NBA.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:29 AM)
man the pessimism is driving me nuts around here, I know things don't look good but the season is not over

it might be much harder to make the playoffs than we had hoped, but its not like we've dropped dead

I think if we can hang even with detroit until next week and sweep them then we have a damn good chance at making the playoffs

tonights game was not as disgustingly bad as people are making it out to be. K-Rod has not allowed a run in 3 months and people are mad we blew an opportunity to score off of him? And besides that inning we only blew 1 other opportunity (less than the angels did); we had some hard hit balls that got caught, the Angels played some good defense and ended up with the win

We've now scored in 3 innings out of our last 33 innings or so.

Far too often this season, they have been playing like they've dropped dead. This includes play in the stretch run of a pennant race. How could they be so down? I don't know, but they sure have been.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:31 AM)
Far too often this season, they have been playing like they've dropped dead. This includes play in the stretch run of a pennant race. How could they be so down? I don't know, but they sure have been.

No offense to the poster you're quoting, but when is it time to consider that each individual loss puts us too far out of reach?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:31 AM)
What, exactly, would you call their stellar play over the last two months?

Typical White Sox 2nd half baseball

No offense to the poster you're quoting, but when is it time to consider that each individual loss puts us too far out of reach?

Some fans are always confident that the Sox will overcome, turn it around and make it to the playoffs. They will feel this until the Sox are mathematically eliminated, no matter how flat they look and how bad they are playing.

The one solace I can take right now is that our starters are pitching great ball. In fact, if they'd pitched like this since even August 15th, we'd be looking down at the Tigers.

If Mike McD and Bobby are healthy, I still think we'll hang around. If not, we've got a problem.

It would be a lot easier if Podsednik could play well. It makes our offense totally different.

By the way, Ronge just reacted with shock when a caller suggested that MacD was hurt. He thinks going with Hermanson was a good move. I now have to get back to the planet Earth.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)

The problem with staying optimistic is that you start stretching the real possibilities of things happening with lots of ifs. For example sweeping the Tigers. Not that it can't happen, but when you go from just winning every series, to winning vs the Twins and then sweeping so and so. It gets more out of reach.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
We've now scored in 3 innings out of our last 33 innings or so.

thats true, but I don't necessarily think its because of lack of offensive approach that was infuriating me earlier in the year, its more of the fact that we just haven't been able to come up with hits (and keep in mind we've been facing good pitchers anyways)

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:33 AM)
By the way, Ronge just reacted with shock when a caller suggested that MacD was hurt. He thinks going with Hermanson was a good move. I now have to get back to the planet Earth.

Can we put him on the same one-way train as Pods and Cora?

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
thats true, but I don't necessarily think its because of lack of offensive approach that was infuriating me earlier in the year, its more of the fact that we just haven't been able to come up with hits (and keep in mind we've been facing good pitchers anyways)

You call those bozo's Boston tossed up at us good pitchers?

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:34 AM)

We're facing good teams....you're going to face good pitchers. We had a 3 week stretch where we faced mediocre pitchers, and our offense crapped the bed.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)

Julian Taverez, Runnynose Hernandez, anything that the Royals or Devil Rays have thrown out. None of these are good.