It's Tigers or bust now

whitesoxfan101

Last nights events put us 3 out in the loss column on Minny with 17 to go. We still also have to play up there for 3, with Liriano and Johan pitching 2 games. So in other words, we'll go 1-2 up there (and that's being optimistic), so that's 4 out in the loss column with 14 other games left. If we plan on forcing a playoff with them after that, we gotta go 11-3 in our other 14 games and have them split, going 7-7. Is this going to happen? Hell no it's not.

So in other words, our last chance is Detroit. We are 4 out in the loss column on them, and we get them at home for 3 next week, while avoiding Kenny Rogers. Our playoff hopes come down to at least winning (but more than likely having to sweep) those guys. Pretty sad what it's come to, what a pathetic waste this team is.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Being 2 1/2 behind the Twins and 4 behind the Tigers, we're going to need help to make the playoffs now. This has sure been a disappointing season.

True. The loss column (3 behind the Twins, 4 the Tigers) is what matters though. We have to sweep the Tigers, or get within 3 of them before we play them and win 2 of 3, if we want a shot though. I think our chances of beating out the Twins are gone, especially if Liriano is ok.

Agreed. The time for just winning series is gone now (Not that the Sox did a good job of that in the last two weeks anyway) It's a mandatory rule that they now go for series sweeps of the Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians and the goddamn Minnesota Twins to get into the playoffs. There are absolutely no exceptions to this rule and the winning 2 out 3 crap has no business here anymore since a series victory only gains them one game on the WC and division.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
I disagree w/ some of the negativity. I know we need to "turn it on", but did you all expect to sweep Anaheim @ Anaheim? I know I didn't. If we win 2/3 from Ana and Oak, I'm fine w/ that.

It may take a sweep of Detroit, but I think that is possible.

It's not a question of "Expecting" to do anything at this point.

It's a question of having no other choice remaining if we want to be a playoff team. We started off yesterday 1.5 games back of the Twins and 3 back of the Tigers with less than 20 to play. Simply winning every series is no longer good enough...because all the Twins and Tigers have to do is tread water above our heads and they'll get into the playoffs ahead of us.

In July, and even August...winning every series is still an acceptable goal. But when you're on the outside looking in and it's September...simply winning every series just isn't good enough any more.

QUOTE(JiveDaddy3 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
I really think we still have a shot, the starting pitching was been very good lately. I think we can rattle off a 5-6 game winning streak here and be right back in it. As long as our bullpen doesn't pitch much! By next week we'll have a slight lead in the wild card. Gotta be optimistic!

The starting pitching has been very solid, but it's foolish of you to think the top offense in baseball can turn it on. They suck and even with great pitching the season is over. I'm working on picking a date that it ends...this is so much fun...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
It's not a question of "Expecting" to do anything at this point.

It's a question of having no other choice remaining if we want to be a playoff team. We started off yesterday 1.5 games back of the Twins and 3 back of the Tigers with less than 20 to play. Simply winning every series is no longer good enough...because all the Twins and Tigers have to do is tread water above our heads and they'll get into the playoffs ahead of us.

In July, and even August...winning every series is still an acceptable goal. But when you're on the outside looking in and it's September...simply winning every series just isn't good enough any more.

Agreed, I just think the sweeps may come vs. Detroit, Sea, or Cleve, not @ Ana, @ Oak or @ Minn, but point taken

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
The starting pitching has been very solid, but it's foolish of you to think the top offense in baseball can turn it on. They suck and even with great pitching the season is over. I'm working on picking a date that it ends...this is so much fun...

#2 offense (runs scored) #4 in team batting average. They havn't been the top offense in baseball for quite awhile now.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
I disagree w/ some of the negativity. I know we need to "turn it on", but did you all expect to sweep Anaheim @ Anaheim? I know I didn't. If we win 2/3 from Ana and Oak, I'm fine w/ that.

It may take a sweep of Detroit, but I think that is possible.

We did it about five months ago.

Ozzie is not putting our guys in a position to succeed. For example, he leaves Mackowiak in when he's been struggling instead of going for Ross Gload, our hottest PH right now, when Anderson was coming in the next inning and PK was already scratched. I thought Gload was the man with the best chance to succeed in that situation.

And and they're not getting it done. Last night is another game where we were not only out-managed and out-maneuvered, but also mention out-played.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
#2 offense (runs scored) #4 in team batting average. They havn't been the top offense in baseball for quite awhile now.

It's even more dire now. The #2 offense in runs scored and #4 batting avg a whopping .03 point back of first has absolutely no shot. It's over this team has Kalapsed!!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
It's even more dire now. The #2 offense in runs scored and #4 batting avg a whopping .03 point back of first has absolutely no shot. It's over this team has Kalapsed!!

Post all star break, we're #13 in runs scored, and #9 in batting average. And .23 in BA behind the leader...Minnesota.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Bust.

I guess those of us who pointed out this team's faults in early June (and were subsequently flamed) were just being unfairly pessimistic.

The sad part though is that a lot of people in say, around June, were pointing at flaws like the batting average of Brian Anderson or the unreliability of Javier Vazquez as things we needed to correct. Those aren't the things we're fighting now though. Sometimes you just can't anticipate that everyone in your lineup will suddenly go cold, that Javier Vazquez will get hot, that Bobby Jenks will struggle for several games in a row after 39 saves, or that Brian Anderson would find his bat and Ozzie Guillen would punish him with less playing time down the stretch.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
The sad part though is that a lot of people in say, around June, were pointing at flaws like the batting average of Brian Anderson or the unreliability of Javier Vazquez as things we needed to correct. Those aren't the things we're fighting now though. Sometimes you just can't anticipate that everyone in your lineup will suddenly go cold, that Javier Vazquez will get hot, that Bobby Jenks will struggle for several games in a row after 39 saves, or that Brian Anderson would find his bat and Ozzie Guillen would punish him with less playing time down the stretch.

Listen to the sounds of silence...

Hey I wanted to personally congratulate some of you who pointed out the Tigers'

flaws back when they were winning every series, it seemed like every game.

They were winning so many I couldn't conceive of them struggling like they have.

As a reminder, who out there was proclaiming the possibility (probability) of

a Tiger collapse? I wanna know who on here I should be respecting more.

Good calls to those of you who predicted Tiger woes.

p.s. They ain't dead yet of course, but they have sucked of late.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Hey I wanted to personally congratulate some of you who pointed out the Tigers'

flaws back when they were winning every series, it seemed like every game.

They were winning so many I couldn't conceive of them struggling like they have.

As a reminder, who out there was proclaiming the possibility (probability) of

a Tiger collapse? I wanna know who on here I should be respecting more.

Good calls to those of you who predicted Tiger woes.

p.s. They ain't dead yet of course, but they have sucked of late.

I was!

In your face Kalapse, I told you :canada