It's Tigers or bust now

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(T R U @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
This is true but I told you they would come down which they have and ide say its more likely they dont finish first than it is they do..

I still :wub: you man

I should know better than to doubt you or anything you say. Some people just have a habit of being right all the time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
The sad part though is that a lot of people in say, around June, were pointing at flaws like the batting average of Brian Anderson or the unreliability of Javier Vazquez as things we needed to correct. Those aren't the things we're fighting now though. Sometimes you just can't anticipate that everyone in your lineup will suddenly go cold, that Javier Vazquez will get hot, that Bobby Jenks will struggle for several games in a row after 39 saves, or that Brian Anderson would find his bat and Ozzie Guillen would punish him with less playing time down the stretch.

Actually, that is exactly what was anticipated. I very much expected this lineup to go cold at some point and thought the starting pitching wasn't good enough to overcome a slump. And that is exactly what happened in July and August. Our starters are coming on just in time.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 01:54 AM)
Actually, that is exactly what was anticipated. I very much expected this lineup to go cold at some point and thought the starting pitching wasn't good enough to overcome a slump.

Doesn't every lineup in baseball go cold at some point? I mean, does it really take a rocket scientist to predict these things?

I'll give you credit for the response, though.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Doesn't every lineup in baseball go cold at some point? I mean, does it really take a rocket scientist to predict these things?

I'll give you credit for the response, though.

Yes, that's true. But I thought our lineup was particularly performing over their collective heads. We went from #1 in runs pre-ASB to #6 post-ASB (in the AL). This was my concern, that the offense couldn't carry the weak pitching for an entire year. That's basically what happened, imo.

Realistically, our only target is Minnesota. Right now (Saturday, Sept. 16), we are 4 games behind Detroit with 15 left to play. In order to just tie Detroit, a scenario like this would have to occur:

Detroit goes: 6-9

Sox go: 10-5

So, in order to force a one-game playoff, Detroit would have to fold and the Sox would have to go on a surge better than any they've had since before the ASB.

Is it possible? Of course. All kinds of things are possible. But this possibility looks extremely unlikely. From time to time, the Sox play really well, but they just can't string wins or a good hot streak together. I'd be surprised if they suddenly put it all together, given the many things that have been wrong with this team.

But we are only 2 games behind the Twins. Without Liriano, they are vulnerable, within reach and we will have the opportunity to take care of them head to head. I don't know if we'll overtake the Twins, but they are our best shot.

True, but I was thinking we would not go in the tank against the A's.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose all 3 now.

I thought we'd go 2-1 then could sweep Detroit at home and continue their slide.

But you are probably right. It's probably the Twins.

I just wish we'd play good ball more than 1 day at a time max.

Hypothetically, the Sox sweep the Tigers when they come to Chicago...

Tigers - 6-6

Sox - 7-5

It's not nearly as bad if the Sox can get lucky and play extremely well against Detroit

Sweeping Detroit would be a big step in the right direction. But does this look like a team that could sweep anyone right now? I would be shocked to see this team string three good games together.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
Heck, when was the last time they did that?

Well, it is kind of encouraging that the last time they actually swept a series it was against the Tigers over a month ago. The last time they won three straight games was Aug 27 - Aug 30, the final game of the Minnesota series and the first 2 games of the Tampa series.