Speakers

Felix

With my birthday just passing, I got some money that I'm supposed to invest on something I want, and hell, I've been thinking of buying speakers for years. Unfortunetly, I'm far from being an expert on the matter, and all I really know is that I would like a subwoofer. I've got up to $150, but would like to spend around $50-$60 on them so I have some left over.

I'm currently looking at these, but any suggestions?

Oh, I suppose I should specify that I'm looking for computer speakers :P

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)

^^^^^^^^^^^ x infinity

I got these speakers for Christmas fo $80, and I'd pay $200 for them.

They offer great sound for a great price, but make sure you upgrade your sound card to give you full speaker power. With a standard sound card, only the subwoofer and the front left/right speakers will work. This is the same for all 5.1 and up systems. Just something you need to consider.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^ x infinity

I got these speakers for Christmas fo $80, and I'd pay $200 for them.

They offer great sound for a great price, but make sure you upgrade your sound card to give you full speaker power. With a standard sound card, only the subwoofer and the front left/right speakers will work. This is the same for all 5.1 and up systems. Just something you need to consider.

Any suggestions on a sound card? I'd prefer not to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but preferably within the price range I mentioned before (with the speakers added in).

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
Any suggestions on a sound card? I'd prefer not to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but preferably within the price range I mentioned before (with the speakers added in).

Well, the kind you get depends on your motherboard. I use an old Mad Dog Predator 5.1 sound card because my computer is a few years old. A standard 6 channel Turtle Beach Riviera sound card will be plenty. It's $30 at Circuit City but you can find either on Amazon for under $25.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Well, the kind you get depends on your motherboard. I use an old Mad Dog Predator 5.1 sound card because my computer is a few years old. A standard 6 channel Turtle Beach Riviera sound card will be plenty. It's $30 at Circuit City but you can find either on Amazon for under $25.

This? Reviews don't look that promising, although it is a 4/5, meaning the votes that didn't include text were good.

Sound cards can be tricky based on your computer system. Make certain you have an open slot for one.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers.

You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers.

Don't you know about the record business, honey

You gotta be trendy if you wanna make some money

Now everybody's sayin' that he sure sounds funny

But it's still Billy Joel to me

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I have a PCI slot open. I've ordered the sound card and speakers that you suggested, hopefully all will work out fine. I'll update this thread once I get them and such, thanks for the help guys :)

Good luck.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I have a PCI slot open. I've ordered the sound card and speakers that you suggested, hopefully all will work out fine. I'll update this thread once I get them and such, thanks for the help guys :)

Glad I can be of some help. You'll enjoy them.

Oh wow.. these are spectacular. After a few idiotic moments of worrying about a rattling sound coming from the subwoofer (there was a piece of tape over the air hole that I completely forgot about), I've set them up and they are working perfectly. Thanks again for the help guys, its appreciated :)

:headbang For the money you have a nice set up and spending a bunch more probably wouldn't be noticable to your ears. Honestly, and since he will never read this, I have a friend who is a major audiophile. He has spent $$$$ on his computer sound system for gaming and entertainment. I can not tell the difference between his set up and what you have. I think he's crazy, but then again, he thinks my backpacking gear is crazy.

Can someone recommend some speakers for me? I'm looking for a simple setup with 2 satellites and a subwoofer for approximately $50-$75.

I was gonna buy these, but they got taken off the market before I could act :crying :

http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Labs_Insp...7-31347899.html

Edited by GaelicSoxFan

QUOTE(GaelicSoxFan @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
Can someone recommend some speakers for me? I'm looking for a simple setup with 2 satellites and a subwoofer for approximately $50-$75.

I was gonna buy these, but they got taken off the market before I could act :crying :

http://reviews.cnet.com/Creative_Labs_Insp...7-31347899.html

I actually have the JBL creature speakers, and I purchased them for a very fair price on ebay. They come in white, black and silver, and thump pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Creature-Compute...r/dp/B00006IRR4

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
I actually have the JBL creature speakers, and I purchased them for a very fair price on ebay. They come in white, black and silver, and thump pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Creature-Compute...r/dp/B00006IRR4

I've tried those in the store and I've had trouble getting the volume tap pads to respond.

I'm thinking maybe these: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-3-Wood-Gr...e=UTF8&s=pc

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Oh wow.. these are spectacular. After a few idiotic moments of worrying about a rattling sound coming from the subwoofer (there was a piece of tape over the air hole that I completely forgot about), I've set them up and they are working perfectly. Thanks again for the help guys, its appreciated :)

Glad you like them. :cheers