Juan Uribe

DBAHO

Thought I would start a thread on Juan Uribe. He's been discussed by quite a lot of people over the past couple of months (myself included) the main question being asked is whether he has a place on our team for next season.

Now let's 1st of all look at the stats;

2004 - .283/.327/.506

2005 - .252/.301/.412

2006 - .234/.258/.433

As you can see since he's been here, he's become more of a free swinger and his plate discipline has decreased. His Gross Production Average has gone from .273 to .234 to .220. Now for that .200 is lousy and .265 is about average, so he's become a below average hitter for the last 2 seasons. His P/PA has decreased from 3.8 to 3.4 so he's seeing less pitches in the count.

But of course he's not here to provide offense, it's too provide quality defence. And even Juan himself would probably admit this season hasn't been his best defensively.

So my question is, with his offense decreasing, can you afford to keep Juan Uribe and pay him over $4M next season? Are the Sox wise to make a move for a guy like Rollins who offers more speed, has a +.100 OPS than Uribe and a GPA of .258, despite the fact his contract is not very friendly?

Or as someone like Keith has said, would you move someone like Iguchi instead, if he bring something nice in return, and you could get a young stud second baseman like Howie Kendrick?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
who would the angels really take from us to give upa stud like kendrick?

as you said uribe's defense has been poor and we all remember the royce clayton era so SS is a definite spot we should look to upgrade this offseason at least for a guy with better plate discipline who isn't so streaky

The Joe Crede deal, say Figgins + Kendrick for Crede has been mentioned by a couple of people I think.

Personally I don't see that taking place though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
So my question is, with his offense decreasing, can you afford to keep Juan Uribe and pay him over $4M next season? Are the Sox wise to make a move for a guy like Rollins who offers more speed, has a +.100 OPS than Uribe and a GPA of .258, despite the fact his contract is not very friendly?

Yes, i think the sox would be very wise to pursue Rollins or Lugo, or anyone who can make the routine plays and back it up with a decent stick to above average stick.

Juan has a slick glove but between him, anderson and podsednik strugling it didn't cripple the team the first half but it was maddning to watch. In this second half between Juan and Pods it just isn't cutting it. we need a new SS and a new LFer for the '07 season, i'd like to see our LFer come from with in our system (fields/sweeney).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
The Joe Crede deal, say Figgins + Kendrick for Crede has been mentioned by a couple of people I think.

Personally I don't see that taking place though.

i have heard the crede deal but i think hendrick is too valuable to trade especially at a typically weak position such as 2B

Jimmy Rollins would be a perfect fit for this team, assuming we can rid ourselves of Pods. Then you can pursue another bat for left field (can one dream of Carl Crawford?)... a package of Pods, Josh Fields, and Lance Broadway would assuredly be looked at for Crawford...

Then, your order looks like

Rollins

Crawford

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Crede

Iguchi

Anderson

also allowing Iguchi to move down in the order for good, where I still think he could excel given enough time.

However, none of this will happen, so who cares?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Jimmy Rollins would be a perfect fit for this team, assuming we can rid ourselves of Pods. Then you can pursue another bat for left field (can one dream of Carl Crawford?)... a package of Pods, Josh Fields, and Lance Broadway would assuredly be looked at for Crawford...

Then, your order looks like

Rollins

Crawford

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Pierzynski

Crede

Iguchi

Anderson

also allowing Iguchi to move down in the order for good, where I still think he could excel given enough time.

However, none of this will happen, so who cares?

I think Crawford is gonna be a free agent at the end of the year. Hes gonna make alot of money.

signed 4-year deal worth 15.25M on 4/1/05 that superceded deal for 2005 season- + he receives a 500K signing bonus and salaries of 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006, 4M in 2007, and 5.25M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25M or a 2.5M buyout- + if the 2009 option is exercised, then a Team Option for 2010 worth 10M or a 1.25M buyout is added- + 2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators, including one for AL MVP votes

--this is from mlb4u.com

Edited by Finkelstein

That scrub makes over 4 mil a year? Cheeses-H-phawking-Cripes! I thought he made 1 to 1.5 mil. Get rid of that turd.

Garcia will be gone after the season. That's what 10 million saved? Pods is gone, he would have been at around 4 mil with arbitration so you save that much. Get rid of that chump, Uribe and you save another 4.15 mil. That's a total of about 18 mil. Sweeney replaces Pods, and I think he'll do at least as much as Pods has done this season, certainly hit more than 3 HR's. Hate to keep Anderson but I don't see an alternative. BMac will take over Garcia's spot. That leaves SS open for a quality player who can be aforded about 15 mil. I know it would break the bank but Miguel Tejada could help a ton here. How much is he? He's getting 11.8 mil this year, a PHAWKING bargain. But I think he'll be asking over 20 mil, that's just too much, IMO. I think Julio Lugo of the DevilRays would be perfect in White Sox garb, and he'd only be at half of what Miggy would get. Who else can we get?

Edited by cgaudin

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:46 AM)
That scrub makes over 4 mil a year? Cheeses-H-phawking-Cripes! I thought he made 1 to 1.5 mil. Get rid of that turd.

Garcia will be gone after the season. That's what 10 million saved? Pods is gone, he would have been at around 4 mil with arbitration so you save that much. Get rid of that chump, Uribe and you save another 4.15 mil. That's a total of about 18 mil. Sweeney replaces Pods, and I think he'll do at least as much as Pods has done this season, certainly hit more than 3 HR's. Hate to keep Anderson but I don't see an alternative. BMac will take over Garcia's spot. That leaves SS open for a quality player who can be aforded about 15 mil. I know it would break the bank but Miguel Tejada could help a ton here. How much is he? He's getting 11.8 mil this year, a PHAWKING bargain. But I think he'll be asking over 20 mil, that's just too much, IMO. I think Julio Lugo of the DevilRays would be perfect in White Sox garb, and he'd only be at half of what Miggy would get. Who else can we get?

First of all, no one is going to give Miguel Tejada $20 million a year.

Secondly, Miguel Tejada is not a free agent. He is signed through 2009. He would only be available via a trade.

Third: Given that the Angels reportedly offered Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar for Tejada, and the O's turned it down, it's doubtful that we actually have anything that could acquire Tejada, unless the O's rank McCarthy far ahead of E. Santana.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
I don't buy into the statement that uribe's defense is poor. He is avery good defensive SS. Hitting is another thing. I liked Uribe more as the super sub infielder. Maybe he should return to that role.

Uribe's throws on double play balls have been bad; that's it, IMO. Best shortstop otherwise.

The one thing that bothers me a little bit about Uribe is that his salary gets a little more expensive in 2008 than I think he's worth. $5 million option that season, with a $300k buyout ($4.15 million in 2007).

If his defense doesn't stay a little more consistent than it has been this season, he might not be worth that. But I would still be quite willing to live with him out there if he could get himself finally into a defensive groove like we've seen from him before.

We can afford to have 1 or 2 positions that aren't producing dominant numbers for an entire season on offense as long as our others are doing so. Uribe's numbers this season would not look nearly as bad had it not been for the horrid start by Anderson and the terrible season by Podsednik. Hopefully those 2 should be corrected by next year, via winterball and a new LF.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Uribe's throws on double play balls have been bad; that's it, IMO. Best shortstop otherwise.

^^^

Uribe's taken a lot of crap for his defense this year, yet he's still one of the best out there. He's just had one too many errant throws this year, and, the dropped pop-out didn't help matters.

I wouldn't lose my mind if we sent Uribe away, but I'm not dying to see him go, either. Listen, man, he's a shortstop with some pop, and he's the best defensively. A little iffy this year, but he's still been great. Really, he needs to work on turning double plays, and that's about it.

Uribe has had one good hitting season at the plate. That's it. And that was in the last season without steroid testing. Since then, he has hit horribly. .252 with a .712 OPS is bad, even for a SS. And that was 2005. This year it is .234 with a .691 OPS. Even worse.

His defense has obviously fallen off this year as well. In the very least, he's not a "great" defensive SS. So basically Uribe is a very good defensive SS who can't hit worth a damn. That is basically a replacement level player. The minor leagues are full of good defensive SS's who can't hit. If the Sox are content with that level of play, they can get one for league minimum.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Uribe has had one good hitting season at the plate. That's it. And that was in the last season without steroid testing. Since then, he has hit horribly. .252 with a .712 OPS is bad, even for a SS. And that was 2005. This year it is .234 with a .691 OPS. Even worse.

His defense has obviously fallen off this year as well. In the very least, he's not a "great" defensive SS. So basically Uribe is a very good defensive SS who can't hit worth a damn. That is basically a replacement level player. The minor leagues are full of good defensive SS's who can't hit. If the Sox are content with that level of play, they can get one for league minimum.

Uribe has the best arm of any shortstop in baseball, IMO. I think he could nail people from any outfield spot at the plate. Which means I want him to play CF: he did it a couple times for the Rockies! His range is extraordinary, and he makes all the little plays he has to make. His sole problem is DP balls that he rushes, and that's it.

The same people complaining about his dropped popup would never say, "Crede sucks because he cost us a game when he dropped Manny's popup last year!" Give me a break. Uribe embarrassed himself that one time, and has thrown a few balls away by rushing. That's about it, and it happens way more often than not to other players.

As for you going on about Uribe's hitter, I never said he was a good one. I said he has some pop. And he does. For a few weeks, he's Pujols, but for the rest of the way, he's an excellent number eight or nine to have, considering everything.

Uribe has the best arm of any shortstop in baseball, IMO. I think he could nail people from any outfield spot at the plate. Which means I want him to play CF: he did it a couple times for the Rockies! His range is extraordinary, and he makes all the little plays he has to make. His sole problem is DP balls that he rushes, and that's it.

The same people complaining about his dropped popup would never say, "Crede sucks because he cost us a game when he dropped Manny's popup last year!" Give me a break. Uribe embarrassed himself that one time, and has thrown a few balls away by rushing. That's about it, and it happens way more often than not to other players.

As for you going on about Uribe's hitter, I never said he was a good one. I said he has some pop. And he does. For a few weeks, he's Pujols, but for the rest of the way, he's an excellent number eight or nine to have, considering everything.

Uribe has the best arm of any shortstop in baseball

Uribe has the best arm of any SS in baseball? He might have the strongest arm, but not the most accurage (see his errors).

For a few weeks, he's Pujols, but for the rest of the way, he's an excellent number eight or nine to have

I think it is more accurate to say that he has some brief good strikes (not Pujols-like) and the rest of the time, he's one of the worst hitters in baseball. Overall, his numbers are near the worst of all MLB regulars. His OPS (that's on-base plus slugging) is 151st out of 162 major leaguers who have enough AB's to qualify for the batting title. That puts him in the bottom 7% of all major league regulars. That's awful. His "some pop" is pretty worthless when it adds up to a bad slugging pct. and a horrible on-base pct.

One could easily get this kind of offensive and defensive performance from a decent AAA SS. Probably a little worse defense and better hitting, but basically the same overall package, and for league minimum.

Again, why even consider keeping this guy?

I wonder if Juan is a headcase. You don't hear much about him.

It seems like he's pretty damn aggressive at the plate and when he hits his

occasional bomb ... wow.

In other words, can't our hitting coach get through to him?

Doesn't Juan appear to have the tools to be a much more productive hitter?

That said ... if we can upgrade we need to IMO.

I'd rather keep Iguchi.

I think we need an upgrade offensively at either ss or cf, keeping one of the 2

because of their defense and not getting rid of both.

Juan Uribe is a valuable player and I have absolutely no problem with him being our starting shortstop again next season. That being said, if we're going to play Sweeney or Fields(please no) in lf next season then we're going to need a leadoff hitter and the only reasonable position to replace would be the shortstop.