Juan Uribe

DBAHO

i would have no problem keeping uribe for 07. i understand that on the offensive side he is pretty poor, but i'd be willing to bet that he isn't this bad next year and his defense will still be one of the best in baseball.

Why? He's had the same bad year two years in a row. Why is he going to suddenly get better? Are you writing him an HGH prescription?

Juan Uribe is a valuable player and I have absolutely no problem with him being our starting shortstop again next season. That being said, if we're going to play Sweeney or Fields(please no) in lf next season then we're going to need a leadoff hitter and the only reasonable position to replace would be the shortstop.

What is Uribe's value? Don't you think you could easily find a very good defensive SS who can't hit worth a damn? They are a dime a dozen.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Uribe has the best arm of any shortstop in baseball

Uribe has the best arm of any SS in baseball? He might have the strongest arm, but not the most accurage (see his errors).

Nah. My own eyes and most statistics tell me that Uribe is the best shortstop in the game, and that his throws are usually right there. I'm not going to get into an argument over him now, however. I don't particularly care to debate how good he is.

I will say, however: where in the hell do you get the idea that there are plenty of minor leaguers good enough defensively to replace him? Name one with a cannon and some pop and his range.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Uribe has had one good hitting season at the plate. That's it. And that was in the last season without steroid testing. Since then, he has hit horribly. .252 with a .712 OPS is bad, even for a SS. And that was 2005. This year it is .234 with a .691 OPS. Even worse.

Suggesting that Uribe was juicing?

Difference being we wouldn't have to give up anything to keep Uribe. Which SS in our farm system exactly fits your description? You want to replace him for the sake of replacing him with a similar player that has less power? If we were leading the division this talk about Uribe being anything short than great defensively wouldn't exist either. He got robbed of a gold glove last year, and this year his defensive numbers are better.

To me it's not cut and dry whether Uribe should be on this team next year, a lot of that's going to be contingent on what other moves the team makes. What's the price going to be for slight overall improvement?

Edited by jenksd

If we replace Uribe it needs to be with someone who is as good or nearly as good in defense. Even though he has cost us a couple games with his errant throws, how many games has he protected and/or saved with his defense? Even though our pitchers have sucked this year they still give up a good amount of hits on good years.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Why? He's had the same bad year two years in a row. Why is he going to suddenly get better? Are you writing him an HGH prescription?

What is Uribe's value? Don't you think you could easily find a very good defensive SS who can't hit worth a damn? They are a dime a dozen.

His value is that he's one of the better defensive shortstops in the league who adds some pop to that position. No, he's not the greatest hitter in the world but he does have some power and can drive in some runs. Juan is a very solid player who imo is pretty underrated overall by Sox fans.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I wonder if Juan is a headcase. You don't hear much about him.

It seems like he's pretty damn aggressive at the plate and when he hits his

occasional bomb ... wow.

In other words, can't our hitting coach get through to him?

Doesn't Juan appear to have the tools to be a much more productive hitter?

That said ... if we can upgrade we need to IMO.

I'd rather keep Iguchi.

I think we need an upgrade offensively at either ss or cf, keeping one of the 2

because of their defense and not getting rid of both.

Or the Sox could of course upgrade offensively and defensively in LF for probably somewhere around $300K-$3 mill a year.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I wonder if Juan is a headcase. You don't hear much about him.

It seems like he's pretty damn aggressive at the plate and when he hits his

occasional bomb ... wow.

In other words, can't our hitting coach get through to him?

Doesn't Juan appear to have the tools to be a much more productive hitter?

That said ... if we can upgrade we need to IMO.

I'd rather keep Iguchi.

I think we need an upgrade offensively at either ss or cf, keeping one of the 2

because of their defense and not getting rid of both.

Walt Hrniak was brought in last year to see if he could get through to Uribe. He used a leg kick mechanism, and it kept Uribe back instead of lunging at the ball. It worked through September and the playoffs. Then Greg decided that he should ditch the leg kick, and go to a spread stance like Pablo uses. Because he thought the leg kick didnt do a thing. Now Uribe is hitting .230ish. Can we get Walt back to give Uribe another lesson in the leg kick, and tell Greg to help someone else.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
His value is that he's one of the better defensive shortstops in the league who adds some pop to that position. No, he's not the greatest hitter in the world but he does have some power and can drive in some runs. Juan is a very solid player who imo is pretty underrated overall by Sox fans.

Id have to disagree with that. At the end of last year he was being compared to the elite short stops in the AL, you really thing he deserves that? his play in the post season might have made him look like that but this season certainly hasnt.

That being said, I am pretty optimistic that he will be replaced in the offseason and replaced by a leadoff hitter at SS or he will be part of a package to get a leadoff hitter.

Regardless of us making the playoffs or not, KW knows the holes of the teams and knows he needs to upgrade. And Uribe is a hole on this team.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Id have to disagree with that. At the end of last year he was being compared to the elite short stops in the AL, you really thing he deserves that? his play in the post season might have made him look like that but this season certainly hasnt.

That being said, I am pretty optimistic that he will be replaced in the offseason and replaced by a leadoff hitter at SS or he will be part of a package to get a leadoff hitter.

Regardless of us making the playoffs or not, KW knows the holes of the teams and knows he needs to upgrade. And Uribe is a hole on this team.

He's an elite defender. Yes, he's made a few poor throws this year but for the most part he's a stud at short.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
He's an elite defender. Yes, he's made a few poor throws this year but for the most part he's a stud at short.

ill agree with you defensively, thats only half the game.

he is not a good hitter, yeah he has some pop, but overall he is not a good hitter.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Uribe has the best arm of any shortstop in baseball, IMO. I think he could nail people from any outfield spot at the plate. Which means I want him to play CF: he did it a couple times for the Rockies! His range is extraordinary, and he makes all the little plays he has to make. His sole problem is DP balls that he rushes, and that's it.

The same people complaining about his dropped popup would never say, "Crede sucks because he cost us a game when he dropped Manny's popup last year!" Give me a break. Uribe embarrassed himself that one time, and has thrown a few balls away by rushing. That's about it, and it happens way more often than not to other players.

As for you going on about Uribe's hitter, I never said he was a good one. I said he has some pop. And he does. For a few weeks, he's Pujols, but for the rest of the way, he's an excellent number eight or nine to have, considering everything.

Gregory Pratt = Up-And-Coming Soxtalk Stud :wub:

If we're talking position players, I want my major defensive assets at SS, CF, C, and to a lesser extent, 3B.

Really, this is why Kenny Williams kicks ass. He actually understands how to build. I love it when guys aren't philosophically-challenged.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)

If we're talking position players, I want my major defensive assets at SS, CF, C, and to a lesser extent, 3B.

Really, this is why Kenny Williams kicks ass. He actually understands how to build. I love it when guys aren't philosophically-challenged.

so theres no reason to get a SS thats just as good defensively but better offensively then right?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Where we gonna find that guy?

No offense, but Uribe is not the best defensive SS in baseball by any means. Yes he is very good and I have been amazed by him countless times, but there's no way any of you can say he's irreplacable. You don't think Jeter is better than him? I'm not saying to get Jeter because I know that couldnt happen, however I am making the point that he isnt light years above many people.

I wouldn't mind at all getting a SS that is a slght dropoff defensively that would bring more consistency to the plate. Are there really people out there that would rather have Uribe than Jimmy Rollins? come on be serious.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
No offense, but Uribe is not the best defensive SS in baseball by any means. Yes he is very good and I have been amazed by him countless times, but there's no way any of you can say he's irreplacable. You don't think Jeter is better than him? I'm not saying to get Jeter because I know that couldnt happen, however I am making the point that he isnt light years above many people.

Jeter ain't nothing special defensively.

All you have to do is watch a few games to find that out. His range is very, very limited. :)

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)

I wouldn't mind at all getting a SS that is a slght dropoff defensively that would bring more consistency to the plate. Are there really people out there that would rather have Uribe than Jimmy Rollins? come on be serious.

Ok, I never once said he was the best defensive shortstop in baseball and I never once said he was irreplaceable, I have no clue where the heck you came up with those conclusions. I was just wondering where we'd find a shortstop that was equal to Juan defensively and better than him offensively cause to be honest, there aren't many. As far as Rollins, I'd have no problem with Jimmy Rollins on this team but it'd be ridiculous imo to get rid of Juan just to get rid of him. Uribe is a solid overall player who seems to be underrated by a lot of sox fans because his defense isn't appreciated enough.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
Ok, I never once said he was the best defensive shortstop in baseball and I never once said he was irreplaceable, I have no clue where the heck you came up with those conclusions. I was just wondering where we'd find a shortstop that was equal to Juan defensively and better than him offensively cause to be honest, there aren't many. As far as Rollins, I'd have no problem with Jimmy Rollins on this team but it'd be ridiculous imo to get rid of Juan just to get rid of him. Uribe is a solid overall player who seems to be underrated by a lot of sox fans because his defense isn't appreciated enough.

I never said to get rid of Uribe just to get rid of him. Of course I'm looking to upgrade, also theres no way KW would get rid of him just to get rid of him so that's nonsense. I still don't see Uribe as underrated by sox fans. He is what he is and that's a good defensive shortstop.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
Jeter ain't nothing special defensively.

All you have to do is watch a few games to find that out. His range is very, very limited. :)

yeah but hes a playmaker. id rather have him on my field any day over uribe.

signed deal for 2005 season worth 3.85M on 1/18/05- + he can earn award bonuses- + later signed 5-year EXTENSION worth 40M thru 2010 season on 6/13/05- + he receives a 5M signing bonus that is payable in installments of 1M in July of each year of the deal- + he receives salaries of 4M in 2006, 7M in both 2007 and 2008, and then 7.5M in both 2009 and 2010- + the deal includes a Team Option for the 2011 season worth 8.5M or a 2M buyout- + bonuses he has earned: 75K for 2005 All-Star selection

Agent: Dan Lozano

8 M in 2007

8 M in 2008

8.5 M in 2009

8.5 M in 2010

+ another 2 million guaranteed.

Sure is a lot for a guy with a career OBP of .330. You also have to factor in the players we would have to give up, and who says he is on the market anyways?

Old or not, I'd much rather get Omar Vizquel unless Tejada really pisses of the Orioles managment further.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
signed deal for 2005 season worth 3.85M on 1/18/05- + he can earn award bonuses- + later signed 5-year EXTENSION worth 40M thru 2010 season on 6/13/05- + he receives a 5M signing bonus that is payable in installments of 1M in July of each year of the deal- + he receives salaries of 4M in 2006, 7M in both 2007 and 2008, and then 7.5M in both 2009 and 2010- + the deal includes a Team Option for the 2011 season worth 8.5M or a 2M buyout- + bonuses he has earned: 75K for 2005 All-Star selection

Agent: Dan Lozano

8 M in 2007

8 M in 2008

8.5 M in 2009

8.5 M in 2010

+ another 2 million guaranteed.

Sure is a lot for a guy with a career OBP of .330. You also have to factor in the players we would have to give up, and who says he is on the market anyways?

Old or not, I'd much rather get Omar Vizquel unless Tejada really pisses of the Orioles managment further.

who are you talking about?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)

I used to be an up-and-coming stud, before the injury derailed me.

I'm glad someone else gets it, and that there are quite a few of you in here.

yeah but hes a playmaker. id rather have him on my field any day over uribe.

I'd rather have Jeter on my team than Juan, but not because his D's better. Because Derek Jeter is a stud and a future Hall of Famer and is everything that is right with baseball. I'd also rather have Ozzie Smith at Short, Ichiro Suzuki batting leadoff, and Andrew Jones roaming centerfield.

We're talking about real, possible replacements for Uribe, and Jeter ain't one of them. Tejada isn't, either. Sorry.

I'm the one who thinks Uribe is the best defensive shortstop. Jeter is not better than him defensively. Sorry. There can be a case for some case -- Gonzales, who is Ozzie's pick -- but I can't think of anything that I think is better, and anyone that is is only marginally so.

Uribe's fine on my team. I'll bet Kenny isn't dying to get rid of him. Shortstop is the most important defensive position aside from, perhaps, catcher.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who are you talking about?

Jimmy Rollins. Looking at it some more, Rollins' career line is about par with Pods' first half this season, which wasn't that good to begin with. Rollins has the edge with SLG%, but OBP% is more important for a top of the order hitter.

Why would anyone want to guaranteed $35 million to a 2006, not 2005, first half Podsednik?

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)

Jeter is no where close to Uribe defensively. Fewer attempts than Uribe, more errors, RF and ZR massively in favor of Uribe. Using the stats ESPN gives me, Uribe has the #7 Range Factor and #3 Zone Rating in baseball this season. Jeter comes in at 20 and 21 in those 2 stats.

Uribe IMO has it within him to be even better than he was this season. He's had some silly errors/mistakes that have hurt his numbers, especially when it seems like he's distracted due to his performance at the plate. He has the potential to be the best defensive shortstop in baseball, and I think that in the 2nd half of last year he probably was, but he still has some work to go.

But there's absolutely no way on God's Green Earth that Derek Jeter is a better defensive shortstop than Juan Uribe. Jeter is the classic example of a guy who can make plays look hard that other people could make look easy. The numbers have said that throughout his career. There are even years where with the same pitching staffs, his backups wind up recording more outs/game than Jeter does.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
Jimmy Rollins. Looking at it some more, Rollins' career line is about par with Pods' first half this season, which wasn't that good to begin with. Rollins has the edge with SLG%, but OBP% is more important for a top of the order hitter.

Why would anyone want to guaranteed $35 million to a 2006, not 2005, first half Podsednik?

Rollins plays top notch D though. And even though .330 isn't that high, it is still better then pods. And he can hit for some power at least.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
I used to be an up-and-coming stud, before the injury derailed me.

I'm glad someone else gets it, and that there are quite a few of you in here.

I'd rather have Jeter on my team than Juan, but not because his D's better. Because Derek Jeter is a stud and a future Hall of Famer and is everything that is right with baseball. I'd also rather have Ozzie Smith at Short, Ichiro Suzuki batting leadoff, and Andrew Jones roaming centerfield.

We're talking about real, possible replacements for Uribe, and Jeter ain't one of them. Tejada isn't, either. Sorry.

I'm the one who thinks Uribe is the best defensive shortstop. Jeter is not better than him defensively. Sorry. There can be a case for some case -- Gonzales, who is Ozzie's pick -- but I can't think of anything that I think is better, and anyone that is is only marginally so.

Uribe's fine on my team. I'll bet Kenny isn't dying to get rid of him. Shortstop is the most important defensive position aside from, perhaps, catcher.

Once again Gregory, i never said the sox should get either of those players, I simply said id rather have him on my team. I agree you need a good defensive shortstop, I'm just saying my opinion is we should upgrade at ss and i realize you dont think we should.