#1 pick Anderson signed

southsider2k5

With college guys, the fastest reasonable timetable is:

Remainder of draft season in full season low A.

Start the next year in high A.

If they succeed by late June, promoted to AA.

September big league call-up if they succeed there.

Start the next year at AAA.

Permanent call-up when a roster spot opens .

This assumes success at every level, which is rare. But draft-to-Chicago in a touch less than two full years is doable.

Just a guess but I think we were just taking a chance on this kid. We got the guy we wanted with the first pick and we figured maybe since we stayed on our budget for the first guy that we might be able to free up some cash for Sweeney. Incidently 8 of our first 9 picks are now signed,

i know this is early but what would be the time table for him?  2/3 years?

He should move through the organization fast as long as he produces. I'd look for him to be on the same type of schedule as Jeremy Reed. Thats if Anderson can put up the numbers.

Is Sweeney signable, or are we just whistling "Dixie?"  Draft and follow for next year?

He's definately signable. Can't be a draft in follow or at least I don't think he can. I think thats only available for guys in junior college, but don't quote me on that.

They will have to give him the same amount of money if not a bit more then Anderson to get him signed. He was rated as being better then Anderson so we kind of got 2 first round picks.

He's definately signable.  Can't be a draft in follow or at least I don't think he can.  I think thats only available for guys in junior college, but don't quote me on that. 

They will have to give him the same amount of money if not a bit more then Anderson to get him signed.  He was rated as being better then Anderson so we kind of got 2 first round picks.

A lot of people would argue that Anderson was drafted higher than he should of been though, so I'm not so sure we got 2 first round picks.

Of course we would have had another great pick if KW wouldn't have traded Ray Durham for Jon "ERA" Adkins.

He's definately signable.  Can't be a draft in follow or at least I don't think he can.  I think thats only available for guys in junior college, but don't quote me on that. 

They will have to give him the same amount of money if not a bit more then Anderson to get him signed.  He was rated as being better then Anderson so we kind of got 2 first round picks.

A lot of people would argue that Anderson was drafted higher than he should of been though, so I'm not so sure we got 2 first round picks.

Of course we would have had another great pick if KW wouldn't have traded Ray Durham for Jon "ERA" Adkins.

Either way I think Anderson was slotted as a first round pick. I'm excited about the draft. As I do a lot of research on some of these guys I'm getting even more excited.

One player I'm really excited about now is our 16th round pick Cody Dickens. A real flame-thrower.

How about let's not even bother with him going to a D-1 school or going to junior college and we just sign him? How's that sound?

Also....if we do end up trading away some players this year at the deadline...that could also help restock the farm system.

ok, according to BA. anderson may take a little longer to develop, but they agree that he is a 1 rounder. a little higher, maybe but i don't know. the other guy is in the same boat, i think it was synder.

ref to sweeney, he was a sure 1 rounder no doubt. a top 20 but it was the ability to sign him that made him drop. i would pony up with the money to get this guy sign and get the kids thru 18 rounds sign.

i really like this draft this yr, better than last yr. look at the gems we got from that one.

If the Sox are going to burn down the house, then I want AA/AAA/Major-league ready talent.  We're a bottom heavy farm system right now, no need to overcrowd and rush.

That's what I meant in my post. I didn't make it clear.

I don't care if we trade for 5 Kris Honel's....Kris Honel is a high-A pitcher, and a high-A pitcher is not what I want.

We need a good SS prospect, we need some help catching, and we need some starting pitching....we can get a little bit of that this year.

Yes, only way Sweeney can be draft and follow is for him to go to JC and not to 4 year school.

Agree with Chisoxfn, good draft, will be excellent if we sign Sweeney and 2-3 of the following 4. Veal, Brooks, Hodges and the good Moviel (the 15th rounder).

I read Sweeney was a possible 1st round pick, but more likely a 2nd rounder. Apparently his stock dropped a little after a poor showing at some showcase in Florida last year.

Also hurting him was being from Iowa. Iowa does not begin their HS season until after the draft, so while all these other guys from around the country have had senior season to be evaluated in addition to everything else, Sweeney has/had not yet played it yet.

I think you can look at it as the Sox got two guys with similar talent levels in terms of draft status, one out of college and one out of HS. Since it appears the Sox got Anderson for reasonable money, then perhaps they will be able to get Sweeney too. Who knows, maybe the guy wants to play his senior season first?

One thing the White Sox are good at is gauging the signability of draft choice, particularly in the middle rounds. That's how they got Daniel Haigwood and Brian Miller, both slid in the draft for signability/commitment to school issues, and the Sox got deals done with both ... and both are highly regarded, based on their performance in pro ball to date.

Hopefully that's the case with Sweeney.

If they are going to white flag, after they are clearly out of it (10+ end of July,) they could work the likes of Colon, Koch, Konerko, Loaiza, White and Lee together along with minor talents (Honel, Reed, Rauch, etc.) to gain both minor league blue chips and major league talent,

i.e. Colon, Koch and Konerko to Boston; Fossum, Lyon, Sanchez to Florida; Pierre, Castillo, Penny to Chicago

The key here is Boston gets Colon signed long-term and the Yanks don't get a shot at him (Clemens is retiring.)

One trade I really like is Colon/Konerko for Johnson/Weaver.

Ah, I'm just being an ass.

If they are going to white flag, after they are clearly out of it (10+ end of July,) they could work the likes of Colon, Koch, Konerko, Loaiza, White and Lee together along with minor talents (Honel, Reed, Rauch, etc.) to gain both minor league blue chips and major league talent,

i.e. Colon, Koch and Konerko to Boston; Fossum, Lyon, Sanchez to Florida; Pierre, Castillo, Penny to Chicago

The key here is Boston gets Colon signed long-term and the Yanks don't get a shot at him (Clemens is retiring.)

One trade I really like is Colon/Konerko for Johnson/Weaver.

Ah, I'm just being an ass.

Now that would be one hell of a trade and would go for it. The only problem is again we would have 2 2nd basemen unless you moved DJ or Castillo to SS. Castillo does have a Strong arm so maybe he would work at SS.