Nintendo announces Wii plans

Buehrle>Wood

$249.99 on November 19(launching head-to-head with PS3. Nice move.)

One remote, and One nunchuck will be packaged in. (Dissapointing, I'd say. Should be 2 Wiimotes in there since some games will require it. Also, no Virtual Console Controller?)

Wii Sports will be packaged in and Bowling and Boxing have been added to the package to bring it up to 5 sports. (Awesome! Can't remember the last time someone packaged in a game at launch.)

Over 25 Launch games(Again, Awesome! Nintendo showing early that it can easily take the gen's software race.)

Virtual Console Prices:

N64- 10$

SNES- 8$

NES- 5$

(Just about everyone saw this coming)

49.99$ max on new games.(Expected, but still good).

Wiimote-40$

Nunchuck-20$

Virtual Console Controller-20$

(Again, about expected)

Photo channel was announced to come in the system. This will be used for sharing digital photos.

Wii will also come with it's own channels. This will include a weather channel, a news channel and a "Mii Channel. (This is very odd, but potentially very cool. A game system has never done anything like this.)

The Opera will be the standard browser for internet viewing.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
Nintendo once again making a great system. I didn't mind the Game Cube but I felt it was clearly inferior to other systems just because they didn't have a lot of the games that interest me besides sports ones. But this is great, I love the old Nintendo games, it'll be fun to play them again.

Nintendo has never really made games that break the bend. They have Mario, Metroid Prime and Zelda...outside of that they rarely, if ever, have a big hit.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
Nintendo has never really made games that break the bend. They have Mario, Metroid Prime and Zelda...outside of that they rarely, if ever, have a big hit.

I'm going to have to disagree. Pokemon has been a huge money making machine for them recently. Nintendo also has Star Fox, Donkey Kong, and Kirby to name a few more successful franchises. They made a lot more successful games than Microsoft and Sony combined.

QUOTE(chaerulez @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
I'm going to have to disagree. Pokemon has been a huge money making machine for them recently. Nintendo also has Star Fox, Donkey Kong, and Kirby to name a few more successful franchises. They made a lot more successful games than Microsoft and Sony combined.

Yes. Four out of the top ten selling console games of all time are Pokemon titles.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
Nintendo once again making a great system. I didn't mind the Game Cube but I felt it was clearly inferior to other systems just because they didn't have a lot of the games that interest me besides sports ones. But this is great, I love the old Nintendo games, it'll be fun to play them again.

You should check out some of their lesser known titles, they have a lot of "clever" games, for lack of a better word. Games like Chibi-Robo, Pikmin, Viewtiful Joe, and Harvest moon among others are just a bit different than games that PS and Xbox offer. Basically, Nintendo forgoes graphics and overall console power for innovation and intelligence in games. This is a tradeoff that I dont mind one bit.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)

I disagree here. There are a ton of great Gamecube games that aren't Mario, Metroid Prime, and Zelda, some of them also made by Nintendo, some of them not. Sure, probably not as many as PS2 or Xbox, but it's still a significant number. You just have to get past the most mainstream stuff and search beneath the surface. This goes for all consoles. People miss out on incredibly fun and well-made games like Psychonauts, Harvest Moon, Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, Chronicles of Riddick, and Tales of Symphonia because they only look at the most popular stuff.

Edited by Sox It To Em

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 01:37 AM)
Yes. Four out of the top ten selling console games of all time are Pokemon titles.

I think my kids have just about all the pokemon games made. I've played a few of them once or twice. It seems to me they are all pretty much the same, just named with a different color. Walk a little ways, fight with another Pokemon, choose, "attack" or "run", capture Pokemon, repeat...

Personally, I prefer games that involve a little more thinking/strategy.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I think my kids have just about all the pokemon games made. I've played a few of them once or twice. It seems to me they are all pretty much the same, just named with a different color. Walk a little ways, fight with another Pokemon, choose, "attack" or "run", capture Pokemon, repeat...

I agree with this. The single-player portions of Pokemon games are like a "my first RPG." However, for multiplayer competitive battling, they are immensely deep and strategic (if you're in to that sort of thing). But the point is kind of moot because the games aren't yet online.

Edited by Sox It To Em

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
I agree with this. The single-player portion of Pokemon games are like a "my first RPG." However, for multiplayer competitive battling, they are immensely deep and strategic (if you're in to that sort of thing). But the point is kind of moot because the games aren't yet online.

I have two daughters and they both have GBAs so they probably do this as well. They also have a cousin and another friend that they always link up with when they get together.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 05:45 AM)

Mario

Zelda

Metroid

Smash Brothers

Donkey Kong

Pikmin

Nintendogs

Pokemon

The Touch Genration Series

Brain Training/Brain Academy

Animal Crossing

To name just a few. Nintendo has more franchises than any other gaming comany in the world. And all of these ether created its own genre or made great innovations in its genre to help these games sell millions and millions of copies. Sony are the ones who make the pretty straight forward games(Not really a bad thing, either). Microsoft doesn't really have any good 1st party games to speak of, hold Halo.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
i can't see it competing with PS3 or X360

they're not really rying to. They went a completely different direction with this system and it was a great move on their part. They're not going after the "great graphics" crowd, but more with the mini-game/retro game crowd.

As for me, i really only play sports games, so I'm not that interested in the Wii, i'm extremely happy w/ my 360

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
i can't see it competing with PS3 or X360

I'd say it will. It'll basically run the monopoly of home video game systems in Japan. This will lead to the Japanese developers to jump on(although most are already on), which will help out in other regions.

For US/Europe, if the DS, which is the best selling system ever, is an any indication, thatn I'll say it'll do just fine. Over the years, they seemed to have gathered up a nice marketing department and are reaching out to the demographics that usually don't play video games.