Interesting Trib Article

DBAHO

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Crede is probably top 3 3B in the league right now. I dont feel comfortable trading him and banking on a rookie. Crede needs to stay.

So here's the counter-point...think about the talent we could get for a Crede. We'd be talking top-20 in baseball prospect talent at the very least. How would Brandon Wood look at SS for us? Or Matt Cain in the rotation? I don't know how many teams would be willing to go with a "Win now" sort of trade and give us something that valuable for a guy as valuable as Crede, but we're literally talking about a major bat and an ungodly glove at an important position.

You don't move him for something stupid like Figgins...but basically you let people come to you, and if someone gives you the equivalent talent-wise, it doesn't hurt to be open.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
and if someone gives you the equivalent talent-wise, it doesn't hurt to be open.

I liked your idea until there.

Make them overpay for Crede.

If someone overpays for Crede, all is well. If someone just wants to give up the equivalent, tell them to screw off

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
I liked your idea until there.

Make them overpay for Crede.

If someone overpays for Crede, all is well. If someone just wants to give up the equivalent, tell them to screw off

Seriously, it's pretty damn hard to actually overpay for Crede. Other teams just don't have that sort of talent. A guy with 2 arb-eligible years ahead of him who will win a gold glove within a few years, and can go .290/30/100 at 3rd base? Hell, I can barely think of 3 guys in baseball who have that kind of talent, and the other 2 have had major injury problems the last year or two.

Let's put it this way...if we were to deal a Crede and go with Fields...basically it means that it has to make our team better for the next 10 years. That's Brandon Wood type talent, Milledge+More type talent, etc.