Interesting Trib Article

DBAHO

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh god, not a slightly off year!!!!!!!!!

Give it up, the guy is good, better than anyone in our middle IF right now. And better than our lead off hitter.

Look at the numbers, 2005 was the off year. 140 points is a HUGE dip. I should drop the "s" word like a lot of baseball fans are doing these days when a guy loses production. :D

I already said Young is better than our current situation, but my point is it probably isn't going to worth paying the price to get this guy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Look at the numbers, 2005 was the off year. 140 points is a HUGE dip. I should drop the "s" word like a lot of baseball fans are doing these days when a guy loses production. :D

I already said Young is better than our current situation, but my point is it probably isn't going to worth paying the price to get this guy.

my dream team next year

LF Crawford

SS Young

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Kong

C AJ

3b Crede

2B Guch

CF BA

Wake me up before I go go

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)

Doubt it. If the price is minor leaguers, then it is worth it. The guy is a stud offensively, and brings the mentality of hitting singles that this lineup needs to be more diverse.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
my dream team next year

LF Crawford

SS Young

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Kong

C AJ

3b Crede

2B Guch

CF BA

Beat this!

C Joe Mauer

1B Paul Konerko

2B Tadahito Iguchi

3B Joe Crede

SS Alex Rodriguez

LF Albert Pujols

CF Brian Anderson

RF Jermaine Dye

DH Jim Thome

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
So did Hicks say something about Young specifically or all the team's players in general?

Both.

"We need to be a little tougher," Hicks said on KTCK-AM. "We need to be mentally tougher. I think we missed David Dellucci [traded to the Phillies on April 1] this year. I think that leadership in the clubhouse part is really important, and we didn't have that after he left."

During the interview, Hicks also said that although general manager Jon Daniels did not think a managerial change was in order, Hicks had been trying to "dig around" to see if skipper Buck Showalter's style was affecting the players.

"Buck has a unique style that works," Hicks said during the interview. "He grinds pretty good, and I think that's why he's successful. But coaches in any sport with that style sometimes run their course with certain players. But, we might want to change players rather than change managers." ...

"Absolutely not," shortstop Michael Young told reporters when asked if he thought the team lacked toughness. "If anyone questioned my toughness or my ability to grind through a season, I'd have a big problem with it.

"We didn't win because we lacked toughness," Young added. "We didn't win because we got outplayed. But don't question my approach to the game. Any player that takes pride in the game would look at those comments personally."

Young's comments came after Hicks singled the shortstop out during his radio interview, saying that the All-Star Game MVP and reigning batting champ is a great player and leads by example but is "not a captain of the clubhouse kind of guy."

Hicks has since tried to back off the commments

Hicks was also busy Thursday trying to repair any possible riff with his three-time All-Star shortstop. Hicks made some comments on the radio during the last road trip about the Rangers needing to be more "mentally tough," and that they needed more vocal leadership. Hicks also said Young was more of a quiet leader than a "captain of the clubhouse."

Hicks, who greeted Young during batting practice and shook hands with him, addressed the issue by saying, "I was taken out of context and the wrong thing [was] said. I did leave him a phone message trying to make sure he understood from me personally that I certainly in no way meant anything derogatory about him. He's the glue of our team and he knows that."

Young wasn't so much concerned about what Hicks said about him as what the owner said about the Rangers' mental toughness.

"He assured me he wasn't trying to single me out, the things he said were not directed at me and he was happy with what I was doing," Young said. "But it's like my first comments, it was not about me, it's about defending my teammates. If my teammates are called out, I take it as seriously as it being directed at me.

"But I'm fine. It's a dead issue as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking ahead."

Young is a great player...and also a great teammate. I can't imagine the Rangers would trade him. The only type of player I could see them trading him for is a superstar starting pitcher, like Oswalt. A more likely option to be on the market, and who I could see KW making a run at, is Vernon Wells.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Young would make this lineup very very dangerous. He is a clutch hitter, and brings a high avg singles hitter into a lineup of power guys.

SSI would never be able to criticize his approach at the plate, as he's one of the best hitters in baseball in regards to shooting the outside pitch to right field.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
If we get Young, I hope it's to play second. He'd be a welcome addition offensively, but he'd hurt Buehrle and Garland a helluva lot, too.

I'm not totally sure how much Young would actually hurt Garland/Buehrle. Not nearly as much as the occasional Mack in CF has hurt them, I'm sure of that. Young is actually recording more outs/9innings than Uribe (does Texas throw out more sinkerballers than we do? I don't think so but I could be wrong). He's turned more double plays, has a fielding percentage slightly higher than Uribe. His ZR isn't spectacular, but it's not terrible either.

At his best, Uribe is probably quite a bit better than Young, especially with that cannon for an arm. But we haven't seen Uribe at his best very much this season, IMO.

How good would an infield of Crede, Uribe, Young, and Konerko be? Iguchi is a FA after 2007 IIRC.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
I'm not totally sure how much Young would actually hurt Garland/Buehrle. Not nearly as much as the occasional Mack in CF has hurt them, I'm sure of that. Young is actually recording more outs/9innings than Uribe (does Texas throw out more sinkerballers than we do? I don't think so but I could be wrong). He's turned more double plays, has a fielding percentage slightly higher than Uribe. His ZR isn't spectacular, but it's not terrible either.

At his best, Uribe is probably quite a bit better than Young, especially with that cannon for an arm. But we haven't seen Uribe at his best very much this season, IMO.

How good would an infield of Crede, Uribe, Young, and Konerko be? Iguchi is a FA after 2007 IIRC.

Yeah, Young actually has more Fielding Win Shares than Uribe. I'll have to take a look at Dial's numbers over at BTF, and Tango's Fan Scouting report.

Damn fielding statistics. One of these days, there will be an all encompassing stat that'll make it easier on all of us.

I just worry about our range up the middle. Iguchi has very little range, although he is good on plays right to him and on the DP. Uribe seemingly covers a LOT of ground up the middle there.

We'd be a better team with Young rather than Uribe, no doubt, but I'd rather not have the defense slip.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
my dream team next year

LF Crawford

SS Young

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Kong

C AJ

3b Crede

2B Guch

CF BA

well keep dreaming broham! that isn't happening. the Uribe and Garcia for Young is reasonable speculation. But if we trade Garcia AND Uribe to Texas what will we have left to offer Tampa for Crawford? Because they would want a MLB ready starter in return to go along with Sweeney and or Fields plus a whole lot more! If anything I would MUCH rather have Crawford than Young. I would even say trade McCarthy, Sweeney and another prospect for him. He would solve many of our speed issues and he can steal bases. McCarthy is over rated anyways. Lets worry about the offseason when it begins. Right now im enjoying an all american pennant race!

Uribe as a supersub is an interesting idea. I seem to remember Juan played the best baseball of his career when he first got here and was being moved around from 3B to SS to 2B on a daily basis. I wonder if he went back to having his job threatened, if he would find his focus a little bit more?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Uribe as a supersub is an interesting idea. I seem to remember Juan played the best baseball of his career when he first got here and was being moved around from 3B to SS to 2B on a daily basis. I wonder if he went back to having his job threatened, if he would find his focus a little bit more?

I've wondered that myself too.

He's just become THE starting SS for the White Sox...there's no pressure on him at all to produce whatsoever. I basically figured, even if it is Alex Cintron, who really doesn't have a chance to be the everyday SS, that may be enough. Put SOMETHING on him, rather then let him suck complete ass as a starter with him having no fear of losing his job.

The only problem with it is his salary. If enough money is eliminated from the books, and the Sox can afford to have another SS plus Uribe on the bench, I think it would make a world of difference. I just don't see it happening.

Interesting no one mentioned the part about Dontrelle Willis. If the Sox parted with Josh Fields and Brian Anderson, I'm sure that would get the Marlins attention. BA is in Ozzie's doghouse for a reason other than his play [as the stats back up BA].

If Sweeney can play CF, and the Red Sox would take Freddy for Coco Crisp, parting with two young players to get a 24 yr old Willis would be semi-reasonable.

the thing with moving BA and Fields to FL is where does Fields play? not LF because they've got hermedia, and not RF because they've got Willingham, at 3B they've got MIggy, and at 1B they've got Jacobs, there is no room for fields in FL, but if we move'd brian to FL i would be sad to see him leave the sox but i could still root for him with the fish.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
If life was xbox, and I could make the lineup next year, I would try this one using only our pieces

LF Sweeney

2B Iguchi

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Konerko

SS Crede

C AJP

3B Fields

CF BA

I love the lineup, but I think I like Crede's glove too much at 3B to move him to SS. So instead...

Sweeney - RF

Iguchi - 2B

Dye - SS

Thome - DH

Crede - 3B

Pierzynski - C

Fields - LF

Anderson - CF

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
I think we really need to look into trading Crede. His value will probably never be this high again, and we have someone who should be able to fill his role pretty well.

Crede is probably top 3 3B in the league right now. I dont feel comfortable trading him and banking on a rookie. Crede needs to stay.