Perfect Pizza

Heads22

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago Style: Crumbled Sausage from Uno/Due, Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, in that order. The Uno's franchise isn't quite the same, but it's not an aberration, and is pretty much the only thing that will do for Chicago-style out here.

I've tried Taste Chicago in Burbank, and they call theirs "authentic Chicago style" but it's made in square pans with a white flour crust, open and shut case. BJ's says the same thing but, just...no. Chicago-style is not a braided white-flour crust, it's cornmeal, and the toppings are wrong.

I'm a lot less picky on thin crust in the NY style. As this is a far more prevalent style it's statistically a lot easier to find good pizza this way. I actually think it's rather ridiculous for New Yorkers to trump up their slices when they all taste the same, although I did have a pretty good pizza someplace on Figueroa after the game on Wednesday, I think it was Aurelio's but I can't be sure.

What I really love, besides Chicago-style is Neapolitan-style pizza, with a cracker-like thin crust. I've been reading about how to make a crust mix adaptable to a consumer-grade oven that garners these results but haven't tried it yet. Usually it involves 800º of wood-fired heat, which simply isn't possible if you don't live at a pizzeria.

I worked at California Pizza Kitchen going on two years and never tired of the Sicilian there. Neapolitan crust with spicy marinara, mozzarella, fontina, capicola, julienned salami, and sweet crumbled sausage. Downside is that quality is hit-or-miss depending on who is making it and how full the oven is. If it's made right, all crispy and light, it's near-perfect, but if it's not it's overpriced for middle of the pack.

QUOTE(Drew @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
What I really love, besides Chicago-style is Neapolitan-style pizza, with a cracker-like thin crust. I've been reading about how to make a crust mix adaptable to a consumer-grade oven that garners these results but haven't tried it yet. Usually it involves 800º of wood-fired heat, which simply isn't possible if you don't live at a pizzeria.

Care to share your source on that? I'd love to know how to do that.

USD Common's Surprise

It's actually just our name for the pizza, because you can get a slice of pepperoni pizza, and you will find peppers, onions, sausage, chicken, or lots of other things on it.

My real choice...I don't really have a favorite pizza. I guess I've never really had real pizza before, unless you count Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's...and I don't. Out of those, I really don't have a favorite

Whoever started this thread knows how to get me up on my soapbox!

In general:

1. The staple for pizza is sausage and pepperoni - When judging a pizza joint, there is where you have to start.

2. Gourmet pizza places such as California Pizza Kitchen and Mellow Mushroom don't count. While their pizza is respectable, tossing any food known to mankind on a pizza just doesn't qualify for a great pizza joint.

3. Is Costco a Chicago-based company?? - Lately I have bought Palermo's thin crust, Home Run Inn thin and Pizzeria UNO calzone's there frozen.

4. Outside of Chicago the best thick/stuffed pizza is made by Tortugas pizza here in Hoover, AL. What started as a small 10-table restaurant is now 3 restaurant's strong and growing. The owner's once worked for Edwardo's in Chicago. The pizza is not the same as Edwardo's but that background allows them to make true authentic Chicago pizza in Alabama. This is the only place I have had real Chicago pizza outside of the city. See photos below:

5. Outside of Chicago, the best thin crust pizza I have ever had is Turoni's in Evansville, IN. They have the best sauce I have ever had.

5. Lastly, the chains (PJ's, PH, Dominos) are for convenience only. They cannot be even considered in a great pizza debate (believe it or not, some outside of Chicago will mention them)!

Chicago:

1. I haven't had bad pizza there, but I tend to lean toward Giordano's. I liked UNO and DUE as well.

2. I don't care for Gino's East and Home Run Inn's crust because it has a cornmeal base, but the rest of the pizza is good. They just aren't my favorites.

3. I haven't had Lou Malnati's, but would certainly like to. One of these days I am going to break down and order one online and have it shipped here.

/end soapbox

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
2. Gourmet pizza places such as California Pizza Kitchen and Mellow Mushroom don't count. While their pizza is respectable, tossing any food known to mankind on a pizza just doesn't qualify for a great pizza joint.
As far as I can tell, this is actually the best variety of Pizza I've found out here. You don't get any of the great qualities of a nice Chicago Style Pizza, but you do get some nice flavor out of pizza shacks that do them right. I still hate all of you Chicago people.

3. Is Costco a Chicago-based company?? - Lately I have bought Palermo's thin crust, Home Run Inn thin and Pizzeria UNO calzone's there frozen.

Costco takes whatever they can get. They're based in Washington, I believe.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
In Austin:

Deep: Mangia. As close to real Chicago style as you can get in Texas.

Thin: Rounders. And a side of garlic knots, please.

At 2 am: Hoek's on Sixth St.

I actually had Mangia for the first time last weekend, it was horrible. Makes me laugh that they advertise that s*** as Chicago-style pizza. I went to their newer location by Mopac and Parmer though, so maybe they don't have things down yet.

You should try Reale's if it isn't too far out of your way. It's a couple exits north of Duval on 183. New York style, but really tasty (order it crispy). Best pizza I have found down here so far. $3 off on Mondays too.