Rep. Ney pleads guilty

Balta1701

Linkity.

Republican Rep. Bob Ney of Ohio pleaded guilty Friday to federal charges in the congressional investigation into corruption and bribery involving disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff, according to the Justice Department.

Ney pleaded guilty to conspiracy and making false statements in a deal in which he will cooperate with the Justic Department's influence peddling investigation.

The plea deal was filed Friday morning in U.S. District Court in Washington.

The Justice Department and Ney's lawyers agreed on a sentencing recommendation of 27 months in prison, provided Ney continues to cooperate, but the final sentence will be determined by a federal judge.

In a written statement, Ney apologized to his family, his Ohio constitutents and his House colleagues, saying he accepted the deal "to start repairing the damage I have caused and to start healing my family."

"I know that this plea agreement will probably forever change the way people view my public service," Ney wrote. "I regret this very much because I hope and believe that I have helped people through my work, and I hope that someday the good I have tried to do will be measured alongside the mistakes I have made."

Ney entered an alcohol rehabilitation facility earlier this week and did not appear in court Friday, according to one of the sources.

Ney, who had steadfastly denied any wrongdoing, has been under investigation for many months as part of the government probe into corruption, fraud and bribery by Abramoff.