White Sox @ A's Game Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Well remember the formula that everyone forgets.

If Thomas is here, he isnt playing for 500k, and Konerko is an Angel.

Thome+Konerko is better than Thomas.

Frank would have stayed for less than you think IMO

he would have signed a 1 year 2 mil deal for sure. no one else wanted him. we keep Konerko in that situation.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
Someone asked me this question the other day, and I wasn't sure what the answer would be: would the Sox have been better this year if they would have basically kept last year's team in tact?

I will say that keeping Thomas looks like a good move only in hindsight so you can't blame KW for anything there.

I wouldn't want last year's team kept in tact but the money/prospects spent in the Thome & Vazquez trades could have been better utilized by keeping Thomas and upgrading somewhere else. If Rowand is still on the team, we're not having too many "Ozzie is an idiot" discussions. There wouldn't be a platoon. (Still, this is all in hindsight).

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
Someone asked me this question the other day, and I wasn't sure what the answer would be: would the Sox have been better this year if they would have basically kept last year's team in tact?

Well it's likely the pitching would have performed the same way they did to start this year, now could last year's offense carry this team for 5 months of the season like it has this year? Would Frank have the same motivation to succeed that he does with the A's, would he have stayed healthy? How would the clubhouse attitude work with KW/Ozzie/Frank coexisting for the entire season seeing how they seemingly hate eachother? Would Crede and Dye be having the year they're having with Thomas/Everett in the lineup as opposed to Thome?

It is an interesting topic regardless.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 03:57 AM)

Yeah, and I don't mean to accuse KW of messing up this team. Personally, I think he improved the team during the offseason. However, some of our luck from last year is gone, and a bigger KW mistake was not improving our LF play at the deadline and his lack of a 4th outfielder who could play LF and CF.

QUOTE(S720 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
No, you are not wrong. If we had Frank in the first half instead of Thome, we will NEVER in this race. We would be too far off to contend. Remember Thome was a MONSTER in the first half. He really carried our team before the AS break. Having Thome's left bat balances our lineup; unfortunately, it has not helped our team tonight!

not really. the whole team was killing during the NL stretch. now when we need a big hitter Frank is on fire and Thome is cold.

kinda sucks we ran the best hitter in Sox history out of town. just my opinion though (obviously)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Well it's likely the pitching would have performed the same way they did to start this year, now could last year's offense carry this team for 5 months of the season like it has this year? Would Frank have the same motivation to succeed that he does with the A's, would he have stayed healthy? How would the clubhouse attitude work with KW/Ozzie/Frank coexisting for the entire season seeing how they seemingly hate eachother? Would Crede and Dye be having the year they're having with Thomas/Everett in the lineup as opposed to Thome?

Yeah, Frank going to Oakland was a good kick in the ass for him, imo.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 03:59 AM)
Yeah, Frank going to Oakland was a good kick in the ass for him, imo.

How about the fact the A's play with a swagger/confidence in the 2nd half of the year, and the Sox seem to always go into their swoon? The funny thing is that Thome has always been considered a great 2nd half player.

At some point if we get the lead, can we please take prancer out of LF and put Anderson into CF. Watching flyballs go into the OF makes me wan to vomit.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
As McLaughlin would say…. “WRONG”

Even with a sure thing like Marte in 05 against a lefty sometimes Cotts can get a lefty out.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)

i think Frank would have put up these numbers with the Sox. He seems like the kind of player that would be hungry for more than one title. Frank is the type of player that wants to be remember as an all-time great and he knows back to back world series rings would help solidify that.