Jim Thome

chisoxt

If Kenny has Thome back next season. Has has got to find a right handed compliment to platoon against left handed pitching and spell for Jim every now and then. Thome has been absolutely pathetic in the second half with...count them...20 RBIs. The guy looks gassed and as I understand is playing hurt. Right now he is not help the club one bit, plus he is a strikeout machine.

He had a great first half but a not so hot second half. Come to think of it, the old adage, better to trade someone a year early than a year late, may apply to Jim this coming off-season.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thome is one of KW's biggest deals. He won't trade Thome and he won't allow Ozzie to platoon Thome (Ozzie wouldn't think of doing it anyway) unless he is hurt. Thome might be an albatross around this team's neck next year. He might not be. But if he's injured next year and/or his skills are diminishing, he won't be helping this team a whole lot.

If you trade Thome, this whole lineup will take a big hit in terms of production. Both JD and PK are having career years and are unlikely to duplicate their 2006 seasons in 2007, and the chances of them duplicating it drop if Thome isn't in the lineup.

Plus, I dont know how much of a market would be out there for him, considering the fact that most teams have DH's, and he's still got a pretty large/long contract (IIRC) considering his age.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if he has a more serious wrist injury than they say he has.

His numbers have been proving that for awhile now. He should have hit much better than he is since then.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
you don't think we could get 2 good arms in the pen and a mid/high prospect?

Why would you trade 290 40 100 for bullpen arms?

One of the major reasons Dye and Pauly are having these seasons is Big Jim. Thome may not be the player of old, but he still makes everyone around him better. Take him out and you lose much more than just his production.

that's the offense. if you upgrade 3 or possibly 4 positions because of him being gone this team is MUCH better. jim is the posterboy for homer or nuthin

OMG CAN'T GET RID OF GUYS LIKE CARLOS LEE AND MAGGLIO ORDONEZ!!! WE'LL GO INTO THE GUTTER

As long as we have the best rotation and bullpen in the majors, we can still win without guys like Lee, Ordonez and Thome. However, when everything doesn't fall together just perfectly for the pitching staff, you actually need a good offense. You actually need good offensive production.

It amazes me when people use the 2005 Sox winning formula as a prescription for success in other years. The composition of the 2005 team only works when the starting pitching and bullpen are tremendous. We can't expect that to happen in any year. 99% of the time, not all of your starting pitchers have great season. 99% of the time not all of your relievers have great years.

We have to maintain a productive, run scoring offense. More guys like Podsednik, Uribe, Figgins and Pierre and less guys like Thome and Konerko isn't going to do the trick. OPS actually means something. Speed, scrappiness and "grinders" don't mean s h i t.

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
You don't trade Thome. However, you need to give him more rest throughout the season, and it would be wise to have a righty on the bench who you can put in the lineup against guys like C.C., Randy Johnson, etc.

Actually, I think moving Thome could be a ingenious move. We could get very good value for him and use the chips we got for him to restock our system while trying to find a bat (much easier to find than top notch prospects that we could use to get us starting pitching, which is the real tough commoddity out there).

So Yes, I'd be a huge fan of moving Thome. I think he's a great guy but I also think his numbers make him look better than he's actually been.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
Actually, I think moving Thome could be a ingenious move. We could get very good value for him and use the chips we got for him to restock our system while trying to find a bat (much easier to find than top notch prospects that we could use to get us starting pitching, which is the real tough commoddity out there).

So Yes, I'd be a huge fan of moving Thome. I think he's a great guy but I also think his numbers make him look better than he's actually been.

who do think would replace Thome's offensive numbers? are you ready to give up on this team for next year and look to the future? i'm not.

what exactly do you think Thome would bring? remember his salary and age.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)
Trade Thome. he carried us for a stretch but the sooner we get rid of him the better. to me he seems like his decline won't be steady. it'll be a big drop off

Thome's hurt. He's been hurt for months. The problem is he's 36, so you can't expect he'll be injury-free in the future. But the guy has been sucking it up for months. He's Jim Thome, but dude can't turn on a fastball. That's all you need to know.

Last year was the year of the Sox.

This will be the postseason of the ex Sox.

Frank, Maggs, Este Loiaza, et all.

Please no Juan Pierre next year.

Geez we don't want that guy.

If we don't make it this year to postseason we should make a lot of changes.

Truly go to Ozzieball.

The home runs didn't help us win it this year.

Let's face it ... our GM also made many errors.

The new centerfielder WAS NOT as good as the old one.

Experiment failed.

And the guys who helped us win it the year before had no staying power.

Pods, Uribe were NOT GOOD.

And the revamping of the bullpen DID NOT WORK as well as whatever happened

to our starters for six weeks.

END THIS SEASON and rebuild baby.

This thread is ridiculous

In August his OBP was nearly 200 points higher than AJ's and Juan's. He had the second highest SLG% on the team in August. He also batted .329.

Either some of you are completely full of s***, or get off on making knee-jerking reactions without looks at the facts to back up you claim.

In September he still has the 3rd highest OBP and OPS amongst of all sox regulars.

Some of you really need to check your Sunday paper for a "cluepon." :rolly:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
This thread is ridiculous

In August his OBP was nearly 200 points higher than AJ's and Juan's. He had the second highest SLG% on the team in August. He also batted .329.

Either some of you are completely full of s***, or get off on making knee-jerking reactions without looks at the facts to back up you claim.

In September he still has the 3rd highest OBP and OPS amongst of all sox regulars.

Some of you really need to check your Sunday paper for a "cluepon." :rolly:

Well i personally wish we had a speedier guy with an ops .200 points lower than thome's. Team speed is the key to this teams success. Not the pitching. Also hope we do not hit a home run the rest of this season.