Jim Thome

chisoxt

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 03:20 AM)
Well i personally wish we had a speedier guy with an ops .200 points lower than thome's. Team speed is the key to this teams success. Not the pitching. Also hope we do not hit a home run the rest of this season.

The Yankees don't hit homeruns and just look at how well they're doing, same goes for the Mets.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
And the revamping of the bullpen DID NOT WORK as well as whatever happened

to our starters for six weeks.

That would be because we didn't have Dustin Hermanson this season, and that Cotts and Politte have both regressed.

That's 3 key guys we had pitching in the 8th/9th innings of ballgames in the majority of last season.

KW's done well just to pick up MacDougal and Riske for a couple of prospects and a journeyman lefty.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
who do think would replace Thome's offensive numbers? are you ready to give up on this team for next year and look to the future? i'm not.

what exactly do you think Thome would bring? remember his salary and age.

I don't really care to be honest. I want pitching, f*** the offense, we still are an above avg offense without Jim Thome. Sorry, but thats the reality, especially if we can find a new leadoff hitter and get Uribe and Anderson to develop a bit (well Uribe back towards his career norms and Anderson should improve).

Plus I think Thome is one of the most overrated offensive players in baseball. Sorry, I don't care what the hell the stats say, my eye tells me he has been incredibly over-rated for about half of the season. Although I'd be the first to admit, part of the problem has been the 1 and 2 spots of the lineup which have been f***ing brutal and we all know my thoughts of Pods.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
What?

Paul Konerko is better than Thome. Sorry, I don't care what anyone else wants to tell me, but I'll take Paulie up in the crunch over Thome because Paulie's approach is superior. I know some people think Paulie is this dead pull hitter, but he's not.

I'd love if Paulie had Thome's eye, but aside from that I'll take Paulie's better all around game. If Paulie had just a bit more speed, wow would his numbers be good cause he'd probably have 10-15 more doubles.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
You do not notice the amount of Thome hate in contrast to the amount of never dying PK love?

No, every game thread I'm in I see people b****ing like crazy at Paulie and I laugh cause he's one of our best all around hitters.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Actually not really on the Konerko love. Casual fans yes, but fans that know there s*** im not really sure.

IMO Kong gets a bad rap at time with some here. He is slow as s***, deal with it. I have no problem with our .300, 30 HR, +100 RBI man. Take him for what he is. A power hitter in the middle of the lineup.

Except people seem to forget he's way more than just a power hitter. He's also one of the best defensive first baseman in the game.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Actually not really on the Konerko love. Casual fans yes, but fans that know there s*** im not really sure.

IMO Kong gets a bad rap at time with some here. He is slow as s***, deal with it. I have no problem with our .300, 30 HR, +100 RBI man. Take him for what he is. A power hitter in the middle of the lineup.

And I'll take our .290, 40 HR, 100 RBI DH with no problem either. Konerko's speed is hardly the reason he gets crapped on, more like loading up tons of blowout RBI's and crucial DP's.

Edited by WHarris1

The funny thing is Konerko actually has more Ks than Thome in close and late situations (20 SO/18 SO) and Thome has 2 more home runs in the same situations (3 HR/5 HR). Not to mention K:BB for the 2 of them which is completely lopsided, Konerko: 20:9, Thome: 18:20. Of course when discussing the 2 people often say "f*** the stats" or "I'll believe what I see". Which makes discussion on the topic all but impossible.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
The funny thing is Konerko actually has more Ks than Thome in close and late situations (20 SO/18 SO) and Thome has 2 more home runs in the same situations (3 HR/5 HR). Not to mention K:BB for the 2 of them which is completely lopsided, Konerko: 20:9, Thome: 18:20. Of course when discussing the 2 people often say "f*** the stats" or "I'll believe what I see". Which makes discussion on the topic all but impossible.

Thats because I think stats are over-rated in tons of situations. But thats a whole other debate.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Paul Konerko is better than Thome. Sorry, I don't care what anyone else wants to tell me, but I'll take Paulie up in the crunch over Thome because Paulie's approach is superior. I know some people think Paulie is this dead pull hitter, but he's not.

I'd love if Paulie had Thome's eye, but aside from that I'll take Paulie's better all around game. If Paulie had just a bit more speed, wow would his numbers be good cause he'd probably have 10-15 more doubles.

No, every game thread I'm in I see people b****ing like crazy at Paulie and I laugh cause he's one of our best all around hitters.

A healthy Thome smokes Konerko. An injured Thome not so much.

QUOTE(caffeinated @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
Maybe we can trade Thome for Frank Thomas. I am sure we would have to pick up some of the salary, but it would be worth it.

Oh that's right, Thomas is a cancer in the clubhouse. I could see it in the lack of A's chemistry.

Kenny, are you man enough to admit your mistake yet?

Thome over Thomas was a mistake?

ARE YOU PEOPLE F***ING KIDDING ME

The Sox major weakness last year were righties with good breaking stuff. To counter that, they brought in a left-handed power bat to stick in the middle of the order.

So I ask you...since when does Thomas hit from the left-side of the plate?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
Thome over Thomas was a mistake?

ARE YOU PEOPLE F***ING KIDDING ME

The Sox major weakness last year were righties with good breaking stuff. To counter that, they brought in a left-handed power bat to stick in the middle of the order.

So I ask you...since when does Thomas hit from the left-side of the plate?

My mistake, I didn't realize that we had such a big problem last year. Thanks goodness we fixed it. I didn't know Frank can't hit against righties. Someone should tell Javier Vasquez too.

QUOTE(caffeinated @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
My mistake, I didn't realize that we had such a big problem last year. Thanks goodness we fixed it. I didn't know Frank can't hit against righties. Someone should tell Javier Vasquez too.

1. Who would have thought Frank Thomas would rebound so much with being such a huge injury risk?

2. Thomas has a .941 OPS against righties this season. Thome has a 1.188 OPS against righties.

3. Last year as a team we major weakness as a hitting team was that we couldn't hit righties at all, and we hit lefties better. Now that's changed even though Thome has a better OPS than what Carl Everett put up against lefties last season.

Thome over Thomas was a mistake?ARE YOU PEOPLE F***ING KIDDING ME

In retrospect, I'd rather have had last year's team and made no changes.

We won the World Series with Rowand, Thomas, Blum, etc.

This year we are not going to make the playoffs.

Thome turned out to not be a big upgrade over Hurt. Our new bullpen is not good.

And Mack turned out to be just another guy. BA was a downgrade in cf.

KW gets a C for his effort this season, worse than the team which probably deserves a B-minus.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
In retrospect, I'd rather have had last year's team and made no changes.

Our new bullpen is not good.

1. Imagine if we had the same team as last season. With the way we have pitched, we'd be a .500 team.

2. Politte and Cotts have regressed, and Hermanson's been injured. That's 3 key 8th/9th inning guys from last season that we haven't had pitch well.

KW's done well just to pick up Thornton, MacDougal and Riske for a 4th OF, 2 prospects and a journeyman lefty.

I agree with ChiSoxFn. If we can get a top prospect(s) and a great bullpen arm or good starter, I wouldn't mind having Thome traded. And who can replace his production? We really wouldn't need another 40 home run hitter. I think Ross Gload earned a chance to start, and I think Ross would do very good. He has the potential to be a faster Lyle Overbay. IIRC, he was once a top prospect in the MLB. We would have to find a RH platoon partner for him though. (E. Perez?)

Also, whoever thinks Dye and Konerko are having "career years" are way off. Jermaine Dye is finally healthy and at the top of his game. He would have been putting up numbers like he is this year 5 years ago if he didn't have all those injuries. And Konerko has always been a very good hitter, outside of that one year. He has been getting better year after year.

In fact, I am going to work on my "offseason plan" if I was the GM right now.

QUOTE(caffeinated @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)

You're right, silly me, we never beat a right handed pitcher all last year. What in the hell was I thinking?

People don't realize this s*** at all. If the Sox had Thomas this year, they would have been sellers at the deadline. What good is having a hell of a second half by Frank when you're 15 games out of the division come July?

The issue with trading Thome is this.

KW's trying to win now. He's not going to trade Thome for prospects to rebuild the system. The only way I could see Thome getting deal is if you got a younger 1st baseman and a stud SP prospect in a deal.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
that's the offense. if you upgrade 3 or possibly 4 positions because of him being gone this team is MUCH better. jim is the posterboy for homer or nuthin

Word......... Thome is country strong, and he never gets cheated while taking his swings, which is exactly the problem. But taking him out of the lineup means Pods, Anderson, and Uribe will need to be replaced with more productive hitters. I've said all along that I didn't like the Sox reliance on the HR. They need a more fluid offense that can put pressure on the basepaths.