Jim Thome

chisoxt

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
Although his August OPS was good did you really consider him a major threat at the plate? I sure didn't. Seems like clutch hits were few and far between in the 2nd half.

Who could honestly be a threat at the plate when the two guys in front of him are getting on base at a .284 and .310 clip? Solo homers and 2 out doubles don't scare me, I'll tell you that for sure

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
Although his August OPS was good did you really consider him a major threat at the plate? I sure didn't. Seems like clutch hits were few and far between in the 2nd half.

I don't have his August RISP or RO numbers, but for the season:

RISP: 1.120

RO: 1.167

I'd bet his OPS or AVG for RISP/RO for August are pretty damn good.

Seriously, if you think Thome is the reason we likely won't make the playoffs, then you haven't been paying attention. There are some many other more negative factors. People just have short memories - he's had a lousy September so far.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Who could honestly be a threat at the plate when the two guys in front of him are getting on base at a .284 and .310 clip? Solo homers and 2 out doubles don't scare me, I'll tell you that for sure

There are players in the league that are a threat at the plate regardless if anyone is on base or not. Thome wasn't one of them for the last couple of months (IMO).

Besides, Dye batted in front of Jim for quite some time now. JD's been on base quite often.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
There are players in the league that are a threat at the plate regardless if anyone is on base or not. Thome wasn't one of them on the last couple of months (IMO).

Besides, Dye batted in front of Jim for quite some time now. JD's been on base quite often.

Quite some time is not August. Thome hit 3rd until he went down.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
I don't have his August RISP or RO numbers, but for the season:

RISP: 1.120

RO: 1.167

I'd bet his OPS or AVG for RISP/RO for August are pretty damn good.

Seriously, if you think Thome is the reason we likely won't make the playoffs, then you haven't been paying attention. There are some many other more negative factors. People just have short memories - he's had a lousy September so far.

I never stated he is the reason that we are missing the playoffs. Throw out any numbers you like at me but he has not had a very good 2nd half of the season.

Speaking of Dye batting 3rd, the offense has went completely in the tank since we switched up the order. Now, I know there is no direct correlation between the two, I just wanted to point out that as bad as Ozzie has been, not making that lineup switch earlier didn't hurt this team at all like some had suggested.

Edited by Rowand44

My only reservations about Thome was he seemed anti-thetical to the "smallball" approach that helped us win last year. I think we have enough sluggers with Dye, Crede, Paulie and even to some extent Gooch--I don't want to live by the longball.

Yes I KNOW we didn't play smallball exclusively last year but we sure did a lot more of hit/bunt/run/steal than this year, which, offense-wise, has closely resembled 2004.

I like Thome I really do but first half he was an intmidator and second half he seems to be a non-factor.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
My only reservations about Thome was he seemed anti-thetical to the "smallball" approach that helped us win last year. I think we have enough sluggers with Dye, Crede, Paulie and even to some extent Gooch--I don't want to live by the longball.

Yes I KNOW we didn't play smallball exclusively last year but we sure did a lot more of hit/bunt/run/steal than this year, which, offense-wise, has closely resembled 2004.

I like Thome I really do but first half he was an intmidator and second half he seems to be a non-factor.

Well Carl Everett wasn't exactly a small ball person himself. Thome replaced him so there is really no difference there in the small ball aspect. The small ball part of last years team was almost exclusively Pods getting on and running and gooch getting him over in the 1st half of last season. Unfortunately, Pods can't get on base or steal bases anymore so gooch has no one to move over, thus small ball go bye bye.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
Speaking of Dye batting 3rd, the offense has went completely in the tank since we switched up the order. Now, I know there is no direct correlation between the two, I just wanted to point out that as bad as Ozzie has been, not making that lineup switch earlier didn't hurt this team at all like some had suggested.

I notice two trends about the lineup recently

1. When Podsednik is in, he rarely does anything. Anything. At all.

2. When Gload is in, he is on base all the time.

Yet, Pods has received like 4 times as much playing time in the second half; for what reason, I am clueless.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Ozzie and Thome had a meeting with the pitchers prior to the season and forced them to pitch poorly this year. Why wouldn't you want to get rid of them???

The only reason to trade Thome is if we decide to run with the Florida Marlins 06 plan in 2007...go 100% youth and get the best talent other teams will give up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
The only reason to trade Thome is if we decide to run with the Florida Marlins 06 plan in 2007...go 100% youth and get the best talent other teams will give up.

As upopular as it might be, it may not be a bad way to go that route. This team may be getting too old.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)

i totally agree. still having rowand would mean not watching mack the butcher in center

QUOTE(lord chas @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
i totally agree. still having rowand would mean not watching mack the butcher in center

It would also mean a playoff spot, I noticed something today.

2005 = Rowand

2006 = Anderson

2005 = World Series

2006 = Disapointment

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! You have to remember last year's team was built solely on chemistry, the #1 producer of said chemistry??? AARON ROWAND.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)

2005 = Rowand

2006 = Anderson

2005 = World Series

2006 = Disapointment

Coincidence? I THINK NOT! You have to remember last year's team was built solely on chemistry, the #1 producer of said chemistry??? AARON ROWAND.

The Sox should look to bring in John Dalton

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)

2005 = Rowand

2006 = Anderson

2005 = World Series

2006 = Disapointment

I personally blame this travesty of a season on Chris Rongey. This team had a perfect Season to Championship ratio with Bryan Dolgin.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Thome is one of KW's biggest deals. He won't trade Thome and he won't allow Ozzie to platoon Thome (Ozzie wouldn't think of doing it anyway) unless he is hurt. Thome might be an albatross around this team's neck next year. He might not be. But if he's injured next year and/or his skills are diminishing, he won't be helping this team a whole lot.

I know a couple guys who think Jim Thome is one of the most significant aquisitions for the SOX in about 100 years. Even a dog can tell you Thome hasnt been right since June

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I know a couple guys who think Jim Thome is one of the most significant aquisitions for the SOX in about 100 years. Even a dog can tell you Thome hasnt been right since June

Really? Can the dog do math? Does the dog see that Thome's OPS was 1.005 in July? And 1.039 in August? And .993 thus far in September?

Yeah, he really hasn't been right since June. He's only been among the best hitters in baseball during that time, hit even better in RISP than is normal numbers, and been one of the few guys on the team to hustle out every ground ball.

I really don't know what planet people are on if they think Jim Thome is a problem for this team - he is in fact the 2nd most valuable offensive player in the lineup. Are you just LOOKING for things to b**** about?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
Really? Can the dog do math? Does the dog see that Thome's OPS was 1.005 in July? And 1.039 in August? And .993 thus far in September?

Yeah, he really hasn't been right since June. He's only been among the best hitters in baseball during that time, hit even better in RISP than is normal numbers, and been one of the few guys on the team to hustle out every ground ball.

I really don't know what planet people are on if they think Jim Thome is a problem for this team - he is in fact the 2nd most valuable offensive player in the lineup. Are you just LOOKING for things to b**** about?

NOPE. Jim Thome hasnt been right since June. Best hitter since June? I saw a low low average the 2nd half. I didnt say he was a "problem" for this team, I said he hasnt been right since June.

Big Difference. Hes been among the best hitters in baseball during that time. Sure, as long as a lefty wasnt on the mound.

We'll find out soon enough that he was hurt again .......

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NOPE. Jim Thome hasnt been right since June. Best hitter since June? I saw a low low average the 2nd half. I didnt say he was a "problem" for this team, I said he hasnt been right since June.

Big Difference. Hes been among the best hitters in baseball during that time. Sure, as long as a lefty wasnt on the mound.

Do you even know what OPS is?

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)

Your argument carries no weight when you fail to support it with factual information. The numbers say he's been quite good. OPS and OBP huge, BA RISP even better... what do you see in the second half that is "not right?"

Hangar, why do you keep lumping June in with the second half? June was obviously his worst month, but he has been very productive in July, August, and September. But why let the facts and numbers get in your way?

A .279 BA isn't low, but .238 is (Frank's BA in the first half)

Magglio has a second half BA of .277 as well.