And That's a White Sox Loser

fathom

Ken Williams has stated that ozzie influenced his moves to put together the 05 team. that includes pitching. remember ozzie was one of the few people in the organization that put faith in Garland. ozzie also saw Bobby Jenks potential and helped with the development of Contreras.

no, Manual would not have won the series with the team ozzie had in 05.

i agree with you on ozzie's day to day lineup choices, but the guy has gotten results. you really would fire Guillen and hire Pinella? i would rather see some off-season moves and give ozzie the team he wants for 2007.

Edited by mr_genius

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Williams has stated that ozzie influenced his moves to put together the 05 team. that includes pitching.

no, Manual would not have won the series with the team ozzie had in 05.

i agree with you on ozzie's day to day lineup choices, but the guy has gotten results. you really would fire Guillen and hire Pinella? i would rather see some off-season moves and give ozzie the team he wants for 2007.

Giving Ozzie the team he wants for 2007. That is the scariest thought I could possibly imagine. It would be a team full of speedy, scrappy, hard-nosed grinders who can't hit their weight, but know how to put a bunt down. They'd play hard and the team would score about 500 runs. The Sox would miss the playoffs, but Ozzie would be happy that the team is "playing baseball the right way."

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
Giving Ozzie the team he wants for 2007. That is the scariest thought I could possibly imagine. It would be a team full of speedy, scrappy, hard-nosed grinders who can't hit their weight, but know how to put a bunt down. They'd play hard and the team would score about 500 runs. The Sox would miss the playoffs, but Ozzie would be happy that the team is "playing baseball the right way."

how do you figure? so ozzie would trade Dye, Konerko, Thome, Crede, ect..?

c'mon, we both know thats bs.

how do you figure? so ozzie would trade Dye, Konerko, Thome, Crede, ect..?

c'mon, we both know thats bs.

Of course my post was an exaggeration. But the point is that we know what kind of players Ozzie likes. There is a reason that Podsednik gets all of this playing time, even though he's having one of the worst seasons of any major league regular this year. Ozzie loves speed and BS. He values that over big, slow power hitters who have great OBP and SLG. Ozzie doesn't know how to score runs. He wants fundamentally sound little speedsters (like he was). He wants to play small-ball and manufacture runs and he would love to have a team appropriately constituted for that kind of offense. And that strategy would result in very few runs scored and even fewer wins.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
Of course my post was an exaggeration. But the point is that we know what kind of players Ozzie likes. There is a reason that Podsednik gets all of this playing time, even though he's having one of the worst seasons of any major league regular this year. Ozzie loves speed and BS. He values that over big, slow power hitters who have great OBP and SLG. Ozzie doesn't know how to score runs. He wants fundamentally sound little speedsters (like he was). He wants to play small-ball and manufacture runs and he would love to have a team appropriately constituted for that kind of offense. And that strategy would result in very few runs scored and even fewer wins.

well... i'm with ozzie on moving runners over, stealing bases, defense and 'small ball' tactics. keep the big bats but still play the game with an aggresive, 'old school' mentality.

obviously we're all disappointed in what seems to be this years results and have opposite ideas of where the team should go. i like ozzie's approach and it's a proven winner.

well... i'm with ozzie on moving runners over, stealing bases, defense and 'small ball' tactics. keep the big bats but still play the game with an aggresive, 'old school' mentality.

obviously we're all disappointed in what seems to be this years results and have opposite ideas of where the team should go. i like ozzie's approach and it's a proven winner.

The last thing I'll say about it before finally going to bed is that Ozzie's approach isn't a proven winner. The Sox 2005 pitching was a proven winner. That pitching carried us big time. Did you see how many runs we scored last year? The offense was pretty crappy. It was picked up time and time again by great pitching. Outstanding pitching can carry a mediocre or crappy offense that doesn't score many runs. But you really shouldn't count on a pitching staff being that great again.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
The last thing I'll say about it before finally going to bed is that Ozzie's approach isn't a proven winner. The Sox 2005 pitching was a proven winner. That pitching carried us big time. Did you see how many runs we scored last year? The offense was pretty crappy. It was picked up time and time again by great pitching. Outstanding pitching can carry a mediocre or crappy offense that doesn't score many runs. But you really shouldn't count on a pitching staff being that great again.

ozzie had something to do with the pitching. as i stated earlier he stuck with Garland, he went with Jenks, ...ect.

not a proven winner? look where this team was before Guillen and look where it is now. give the guy some credit.

later, go sox.

This team is unfolding into a collosal embarrasment. Watch, knowing the 2006 White they'll crawl back into the wildcard race, only to be throughly assraped the final weekend in Minnesota. Everygame will be 13-0, and Boof Bonser/Carlos Silva will shut us out.

If they fail to reach the postseason -- which appears more likely everyday -- no one can state the opportunity never presented itself.

The faults lie within our own club. Not because Minnesota or Detroit were fair superior teams down the stretch, because that hasn't been the case. Their teams overall are better than ours, yes; but not to the extent that neither divison or wildcard leads were unsurmountable. Minnesota didn't have Liriano available, whereas Detroit continues to maintain their division lead admist a mini-collapse. And we failed to capitalize in both circumstances.

It's f***ing pathetic.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

We are incapable of stringing wins together, even though the pennant has been

there for us to take.

Unf***ingbelievable.

I agree ... please 15 games come and go and put us out of our misery.

This season will go down as a great opportunity wasted.

So sad.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Ozzie lost the game for us last night. I agree Mac's jump was poor, but that also didn't lose the game. To me it seems it was that terrible play by Dye (he is still getting a pass though since he has been the best all year), and the fact that our hitting just sucks. Hawk said, going into the 9th that we just need to get Konerko to the plate. Now, for my money anymore Konerko is the last person I want to see at the plate in the 9th with a hit needed. Ya knew he was going to strike out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
Can you elaborate on what happened/was said?

Ozzie threw a fit because there wasn't any beer allowed in the clubhouse after the game. I'm sorry, but there is a hell of a lot more important things to worry about besides that s***. If all they want to do is party, screw 'em. I mean, fine, have a beer, but to throw a fit about it because you can't, tells me that they are worried about the wrong things.

Ozzie threw a fit because there wasn't any beer allowed in the clubhouse after the game. I'm sorry, but there is a hell of a lot more important things to worry about besides that s***. If all they want to do is party, screw 'em. I mean, fine, have a beer, but to throw a fit about it because you can't, tells me that they are worried about the wrong things.

That's exactly what I thought. I've been wanting Ozzie to get fired up about something and motivate this team since the ASB. Unfortunately it takes a beer controversey to get a rise out of Ozzie.

Guillen was the most vocal, however, after learning that beer is no longer provided in the McAfee Coliseum clubhouses. Oakland general manager Billy Beane banned alcoholic beverages at midseason after Loaiza's arrest on suspicion of drunken driving and a published story highlighting the nightlife of certain A's players.

Guillen told a clubhouse attendant he would pay for the cost of the beer and was angered that Beane would try to control visiting clubhouses.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)

How far of a lease does everyone want to give our manager. No sense of urgency.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 04:56 AM)
I'm so thankful that Ozzie continues to put Mackowiak in CF. Luckily, putting him in CF hasn't haunted us once this season, so I can't fault our great manager for continuing to put him out there.

Fathom, was this supposed to be in green? Mack doesn't belong in CF

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
This team can't catch a break. The umpires are really out to get us. That last pitch to Konerko was a ball. It wasn't even close to being a strike!

Lol, A ball??

That wa sa terrific pitch right on the corner, and Konerko knew it too. The ump hadn't even signaled for an out and Paulie was walking back to the dugout.