Big Hurt's revenge

greg775

Here's tonight's game story: It's kind of an extra kick in the gut that Big Hurt is

producing big time and we are continuing to play s***ty baseball:

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Forget AL Comeback Player of the Year, Frank Thomas is making a case for MVP.

Thomas hit his 37th home run, passed the 100-RBI mark and helped Oakland beat his former team, leading the Athletics over the Chicago White Sox 7-4 Saturday.

“To us he’s definitely the MVP,” A’s second baseman Mark Ellis said. “It’s hard to argue with Jermaine (Dye), but as far as importance a team? I think Frank is more important to this team than others are to their teams. Yes, I’d vote for him.”

Thomas drove in four runs for the AL West-leading A’s, who won their third in a row. Thomas has 485 career homers and has 102 RBIs mark the 11th time in his career that he’s reached the century mark.

“I never stopped believing in myself,” Thomas said. “Everybody else in baseball may have, but I trusted my doctor. He said I would be back. This is very special. I was hitting .175-.180 after two months and to turn it on, I’m proud of myself.”

Thomas was limited to 108 games over the past two seasons, hitting a total of 30 homers and driving in 75. After the White Sox let him go, there was some bad blood between him and the organization. He signed an incentive-laden contract with the A’s in January.

“It’s really bittersweet,” Thomas said. “I look at the uniform I wore for 16 years and it’s kind of weird. I’m all about winning right now. We have a special chance to reach the playoffs. We’ve won a lot of games where we’ve shaken our heads asking how. But that’s what playoff teams are all about.”

Dye hit his 42nd home run for Chicago, which started the day two games behind Minnesota in the AL wild-card race.

The White Sox lost for the 22nd time in their last 26 games in Oakland. Javier Vazquez had his winless streak extended to seven games despite departing with a lead.

The A’s rallied for four runs in the seventh against four White Sox relievers, taking advantage of four walks.

“I was disappointed,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. “The Thomas home run changed the whole scenario and our bullpen couldn’t do its job. They couldn’t throw strikes. Frank is one of the best right-handed hitters I ever saw.”

Barry Zito (16-9) struggled all day, walking a career-high seven, He gave up four runs and seven hits in seven innings, and won for the fourth time in five decisions.

Joe Kennedy and Justin Duchscherer pitched the eighth and Huston Street pitched the ninth for his 34th save in 42 opportunities.

“Frank has been a huge factor in our success,” Zito said. “We see him in the clubhouse every day and you can’t help but be inspired by his work ethic. He expects to carry the team and to hit the ball hard. I know he’s our MVP.”

Ellis singled home the tying run in the seventh against reliever Mike MacDougal, who blew his first save opportunity. Matt Thornton (5-3) allowed two runs in the seventh.

MacDougal walked Thomas to force in the go-ahead run and Boone Logan walked Eric Chavez to force in another run. Jay Payton followed with an RBI single off Dustin Hermanson.

“I wasn’t good and that’s about all you can say about it,” MacDougal said. “I couldn’t locate my pitches where I needed.”

Vazquez, 0-3 in his last seven starts, allowed three runs and five hits over six innings.

Pablo Ozuna doubled to lead off the Chicago third. After Tadahito Iguchi popped up trying to bunt, Dye worked the count full against Zito before hitting a line drive off the left-field foul pole.

It was Dye’s first homer since nearly hitting for the cycle against the Cleveland Indians last Saturday.

Thomas’ sacrifice fly in the fourth cut the lead to 2-1 but Sandy Alomar Jr. singled behind Juan Uribe’s single and Brian Anderson’s double in the sixth to make it 4-1.

In the sixth, Thomas hit Vazquez’s 1-1 pitch into the left field bleachers to make it 4-3.

“That home run changed the whole momentum of the game,” Ellis said. “We jumped on that and got it going.”

Notes: A’s RHP Rich Harden tested his sore right elbow in a simulated game and will start on Thursday pending the outcome of Monday’s side session. ... Dye snapped a 23 at-bat homerless streak. He averages a home run every 11.9 at bats. ... A’s OF Mark Kotsay was held out of the starting lineup after reporting a stiff back following Friday night’s game.

I'm pulling for Frank as well, but this is a non story.

WE WON THE WORLD SERIES WITHOUT HIM!!!

I'm tired of people saying how bad it would look if we miss the playoffs and the A's make it. That is so far off. It looks bad that we don't make the playoffs on ourselves.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)

I'm tired of people saying how bad it would look if we miss the playoffs and the A's make it. That is so far off. It looks bad that we don't make the playoffs on ourselves.

He did help us get there, as our lead in the division went from 3 to 12 while he was playing. That extra cushion in the division proved to be incredibly important down the stretch last year.

I don't think it's a non story. Frank's performance made it a big story.

We let him go.

I think everybody thought Frank would be out of the limelight in Oakland, hit about

15 home runs or something while being on the DL all year.

The bottom line is he's Oakland's best player and we are not going to the playoffs.

Yet Oz is the only guy that seems to get blamed on this site in management.

KW deserves blame for this one.

Frank ain't going away and he wants to play four more years.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Congrats to the big man.

I know who I'm rooting for once the Sox are eliminated. They're the only likeable team in the AL. Can't root for Detroit, as I dislike most Detroit-anything fans. Minny? Hate 'em, they're players, some of their fans. New York? Hah -- the worst of 'em all.

Yep. And unfortunately I don't think thye have much of a chance in the playoffs. I'll be rooting for them though.

Once the Sox are officially eliminated I will be for the A's only for Frank Thomas' sake.

It kills me for the Big Hurt to come back and haunt us like he does.

He may be in a different uniform but he is still one of my all time favorite Sox players.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Yep. And unfortunately I don't think thye have much of a chance in the playoffs. I'll be rooting for them though.

I think they have a better chance then most people think they do. I think they have the 2nd best pitching in the AL right now behind Minnesota, and their offense is highly underrated, especially since Frank's resurgence.

They are, at the very least, just as dangerous as any other team heading to the playoffs.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)

Actually, last year Frank did help the Sox get to the playoffs. His team contribution was significant in the games that he did play. I was at the park for a couple of those games when Frank bopped in a few runs last year. He definitely helped us win quite of few games which helped build the lead in the division.

In 2005, Frank had 105 AB, 12 HR & 26 RBIs. Geez, a dinger every ten plate appearances!

Even though there's all the stuff about Frank & the club house antics. Still, I like Frank & miss Frank. I'll take Frank and AROW over Jim Thome & our outfield disaster this year. Nothing from Jim Thome, a class act - but he sure has picked a bad time to slump for our team. Looks more and more like we will be watching Frank & the A's on TV in October.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
Go Frank. I usually cheer for the AL Central team, then the AL team. This year it will be a toss between Detroit and Oakland. I am hapy to see Detroit having a great season. They have a nice franchise, great history.

:o

And you're from Chicago?

All things Detroit = SUCKS.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
:o

And you're from Chicago?

All things Detroit = SUCKS.

I know. But I think it's better when this division gets some respect around the country and that comes with winning. The AL East never produces a team to cheer for? Yankees? Red Sox? The West coast about the same, plus how many seasons have died, in part, to the west coast swings?

And to be totally blasphemas, I'll be cheering for Maggs, if they make it.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
it's time for us to start debating who want in LF, at SS, backup catcher and in the bullpen.

backup the truck.

time to clean house.

and bring back Rowand.

of all the guys we traded away, he's the one I think we missed most in the clubhouse.

You Rowand worshipers are funny.

The guy hit .245 in August, and he hit .235 in September and hit for nothing in the playoffs. Yet in your mind, because you saw him throw himself on the ground to catch a ball, that Brian glides in to catch without breaking a sweat, you think that the season is lost becaused of his missing presence. Good lord what next, a candle memento for Timo Perez and El Duque.

The 2nd half of this season our hitters became pull hitters for the most part and were exploited by low and away pitching. Rowand would of been one of many right handed victims on low and away stuff just like he was last year.

If AJ was the AJ of the first half when he forgot about power asperations, and just shot the ball all over and had a great average he would of been a much better fit than the AJ who hit .250 and had more power. If Thome was the same guy earlier in the year who hit the ball all over the field hard. If Konerko was a guy who picked up people who walked Thome, and made them pay. Then our offense would of been fine. But to blame it on someone is missing that was on the WS DVD and blame it on that is a joke.

Edited by southsideirish71

Frank has to feel good about this weekend, and who can blame him?

I'll root for the A's if (when) the Sox don't make it to the playoffs.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
You Rowand worshipers are funny.

The guy hit .245 in August, and he hit .235 in September and hit for nothing in the playoffs. Yet in your mind, because you saw him throw himself on the ground to catch a ball, that Brian glides in to catch without breaking a sweat, you think that the season is lost becaused of his missing presence. Good lord what next, a candle memento for Timo Perez and El Duque.

The 2nd half of this season our hitters became pull hitters for the most part and were exploited by low and away pitching. Rowand would of been one of many right handed victims on low and away stuff just like he was last year.

If AJ was the AJ of the first half when he forgot about power asperations, and just shot the ball all over and had a great average he would of been a much better fit than the AJ who hit .250 and had more power. If Thome was the same guy earlier in the year who hit the ball all over the field hard. If Konerko was a guy who picked up people who walked Thome, and made them pay. Then our offense would of been fine. But to blame it on someone is missing that was on the WS DVD and blame it on that is a joke.

Amen!

He was the easiest out in the lineup during the playoffs.

Anderson is at least his equal defensively, and I think he's better.

The pitching is the reason this season has been worse than last season, end of story.