And That's A White Sox Season

Flash Tizzle

I have faith Kenny will get the job done for 07.

We'll be back.

I'm not sure what to expect from KW. If he moves the offense in the direction more speed and less power, then the offense is going to be worse. Also, I'm not confident that subtracting one of these starting pitchers and adding McCarthy is going to be a net improvement for the rotation. I've got $20 that says Contreras will be worse next year, and on the DL more. And he isn't going to be the starter that is traded.

What I'm really concerned with is Ozzie. He stinks on ice. There's no way to get around it. When he doesn't have the best pitching in baseball to carry him, his bad managing is horribly exposed. He hurt the team this year and I fully expect him to hurt the team next year. He's stubborn; he doesn't learn. I'm sure he's 100% positive that everything he's done this season has been the right way to manage. We'll see the same crazy lineups next season. He'll leave starters in too long next season. He'll embarassingly mishandle the bullpen next season. That's Ozzie. That's how he manages. And he's going to rob this team of wins next year, just like he did this year.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
Im going to have to disagree with the last two posts. This team, especailly the O, was a blast to watch in the 1st half.

The 2nd half they just tanked, nothing else to really say.

I have faith Kenny will get the job done for 07.

We'll be back.

The saddest thing is, I've lost basically all interest in next year's team even if KW went out and got a new group of players that I actually liked and felt have a chance to will it all I have no faith that they'd be used the right way. NOTHING I've seen this year makes me believe that they'd be put in the best position to succeed.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
I can honestly say that this year wasn't even fun to watch. Even in other years (losing years, in fact), they were at least still enjoyable to watch.

This year was just one kick in the junk after another.

It doesn't even feel like a swift kick to the crotch. I trusted this team, I felt safe with this team, I thought they'd never do a thing to harm me, I opened up to them and let them see the real me. Then the 2nd half came along and the Sox took my trust and used it against me. Frankly, I feel violated.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
The saddest thing is, I've lost basically all interest in next year's team even if KW went out and got a new group of players that I actually liked and felt have a chance to will it all I have no faith that they'd be used the right way. NOTHING I've seen this year makes me believe that they'd be put in the best position to succeed.

Let the Razor Shines era begin. Or Sweet Lou. Or somebody.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
I agree, that is very sad.

Call me a blind fan, call me a homer, but Williams is not going to stand for losing, and thats one of the reasons I am one of Williams biggest fans. He sees the holes in this team just like we do, and goes outs a fixes them, or does his best to get the job done. IMO, he gave this 06 team every chance to win it all again, with not much problem. These players tanked. The coaches tanked.

Lets :pray for a different Oz next season. We aren't going to see a new manager, so lets hope for a new Oz.

KW did a great job putting this team together. It's not his fault the manager misused the players he was given and couldn't keep his mouth shut when it would have been better for the team if he did so.

Ozzie is Ozzie. By now, we know what to expect from him. No way will he be fired, but maybe, just maybe, he'll have a tantrum and quit. :pray

Wow. How quickly people forget. Yeah, sure, they've played poorly a lot more this season, and YES, you have to be hungry for more, but:

1. They DID just win their first title in 88 years, and everyone was so happy, and now, what? It doesn't matter for s*** anymore? SpringfieldFan posted one of the very few sensible and pure posts in this entire thread.

2. This season is NOT over. It MIGHT be, but not certainly. Anything can still happen. 14 games is plenty of time to catch a Wild Card IF things shape up, and seeing as Detroit is next, I'm fairly confident.

I very well could be wrong, but if they make it this year, hell, just to the PLAYOFFS, I'm permanently sigging a picture of a big, fat crow to remind all of you about not only last year, but hopefully this year. Have some damn optomism. If we lose, we lose, but this is NOT over yet. I guess nobody learned from what happened last year.

well i don't subscribe to the theory that winning one title cures all ills. too bad for you that you do. to quote a wise man:

"ONLY COWARDS AND LOSERS LIVE IN THE PAST"

I just wanted to say that the last year winning the title and defending it was a new and great experience as a fan. Yeah im dissappointed we will likely miss the playoffs, but the fans really showed up this year, and white sox baseball will riegn supreme once again. KW and Ozzie have a lot of work to do with this team. POWER doesn't work. THis team needs better defense, better pitching and more speed. They won last season because of a balanced scappy lineup (kinda like this years A's and Twins). I understand KW's feel to get greedy with some extra bucks and go out and get Thome and Vazquez. But changing your team's philosophy after winning the title a certain way was a HUGE mistake. Im pissed off like all of you, but for these next 13 games we are the defending champions, and who knows if we will ever be called that again?!? It sure is tough to repeat!! God bless you all. I will cheer this team on until the very end. But for now im not going to think about it. Do other things, like watch Bears highlights, workout, find a hobby, find hot chicks, just enjoy life. And who knows.. maybe, just maybe we will be 2 games behind Minny going into that final series.... but i highly doubt it.

2007 will be better. Im sure KW, JR, and OG learned from their mistakes.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
POWER doesn't work. THis team needs better defense, better pitching and more speed. They won last season because of a balanced scappy lineup (kinda like this years A's and Twins). I understand KW's feel to get greedy with some extra bucks and go out and get Thome and Vazquez. But changing your team's philosophy after winning the title a certain way was a HUGE mistake.

I can't believe you actually believe this.

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Iguchi

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe

LF - Podsednik

CF - Rowand

RF - Dye

DH - Everett

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Iguchi

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe

LF - Podsednik

CF - Mackowiak/Anderson

RF - Dye

DH - Thome

The starting lineup changed by a whole 2 players, 2 PLAYERS! So if the Sox had Carl Everett and his .745 OPS as well as Rowand and his .736 OPS in this year's lineup instead of Anderson and Thome the Sox would be characterized as a tough, scrappy, well balanced lineup as opposed to an unbalanced, non-scrappy all power lineup and they would be better off? Seriously? Here's why the Sox won last year, it's really really simple.

2005 Team ERA = 3.61 (Best in the AL)

2005 Team ERA+ = 123 (Best in the AL)

2005 Runs allowed per game = 3.98 (3rd best in the AL | CLE: 3.96, ANA: 3.97)

2005 Homeruns hit = 200 (4th most in AL)

Last year's offense sucked ass they put up 4.57 Runs/G which was the 6th worst in the AL, luckily the pitching held the opposing team's to 1-3 runs nearly every damn game so if the s*** offense managed to knock in a run in the first along with a 2 run HR in the 8th the Sox would likely win because the bullpen was the s*** last year thanks to career years from Hermanson, Cotts, Politte and who knows maybe even Jenks.

Let's say in 2007 the Sox keep this offense intact and they produce the exact same they have this year and by some magical stroke of luck the 2007 White Sox pitching staff pitches equally as good as the 2005 staff. The 2007 White Sox would win around 120 games.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
I can't believe you actually believe this.

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Iguchi

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe

LF - Podsednik

CF - Rowand

RF - Dye

DH - Everett

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Iguchi

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe

LF - Podsednik

CF - Mackowiak/Anderson

RF - Dye

DH - Thome

The starting lineup changed by a whole 2 players, 2 PLAYERS! So if the Sox had Carl Everett and his .745 OPS as well as Rowand and his .736 OPS in this year's lineup instead of Anderson and Thome the Sox would be characterized as a tough, scrappy, well balanced lineup as opposed to an unbalanced, non-scrappy all power lineup and they would be better off? Seriously? Here's why the Sox won last year, it's really really simple.

2005 Team ERA = 3.61 (Best in the AL)

2005 Team ERA+ = 123 (Best in the AL)

2005 Runs allowed per game = 3.98 (3rd best in the AL | CLE: 3.96, ANA: 3.97)

2005 Homeruns hit = 200 (4th most in AL)

Last year's offense sucked ass they put up 4.57 Runs/G which was the 6th worst in the AL, luckily the pitching held the opposing team's to 1-3 runs nearly every damn game so if the s*** offense managed to knock in a run in the first along with a 2 run HR in the 8th the Sox would likely win because the bullpen was the s*** last year thanks to career years from Hermanson, Cotts, Politte and who knows maybe even Jenks.

Let's say in 2007 the Sox keep this offense intact and they produce the exact same they have this year and by some magical stroke of luck the 2007 White Sox pitching staff pitches equally as good as the 2005 staff. The 2007 White Sox would win around 120 games.

VERY good post.

Home runs > Speed/Bunting/Scrappy Lineups.

This team is suffering becuase we aren't pitching, both out of the rotation and bullpen.

The offense has slumped, but looking at the big picture, people should not complain.

Kalapse is 100% right. The 2005 White Sox didn't win because of scrappy, speedy or any other of Scooby Doo's brothers. The Sox won in 2005 with an amazing rotation and an equally spectacular bullpen. The pitching overcame a poor offense and a poor manager. Pitching won it. Pitching carried the team.

Just because the 2005 team won the WS doesn't mean that everything about that team was great. The offense wasn't great. It wasn't even good.

Subtracting power from this team and replacing it with speedy, scrappy grinders would subtract runs and wins from this team.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 08:05 PM)
KW did a great job putting this team together. It's not his fault the manager misused the players he was given and couldn't keep his mouth shut when it would have been better for the team if he did so.

Ozzie is Ozzie. By now, we know what to expect from him. No way will he be fired, but maybe, just maybe, he'll have a tantrum and quit. :pray

Kenny wasn't infallible. He didn't provide Ozzie with a viable back-up centerfielder, which surely cost the Sox 2-3 games.

Kenny wasn't infallible. He didn't provide Ozzie with a viable back-up centerfielder, which surely cost the Sox 2-3 games.

There is more to Kenny's fallibility than that. He also gave away a hell of a lot for a starting pitcher who hasn't been good since 2003. Predictably, Javier failed again. Dismally. If Kenny hadn't made the trade, this team would actually have a good young CFer right now.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)

I think 2-3 is a very conservative guess. How many games did Mackowiak cost the Sox in CF because of his defense as opposed to how many he won because of his offense?

what happened to all the people that had faith in the team?? this post is disgusting me with the way that people are acting. it's still possible. it's going to be hard, but it's still there. you never knwo what's going to happen. seriously though, that's a ridiculous way to act. things happen. we came off a championship year, so the standards are higher, but it's not the same team. suck it up and think about it. have faith in your team

QUOTE(credeisamazing @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
what happened to all the people that had faith in the team?? this post is disgusting me with the way that people are acting. it's still possible. it's going to be hard, but it's still there. you never knwo what's going to happen. seriously though, that's a ridiculous way to act. things happen. we came off a championship year, so the standards are higher, but it's not the same team. suck it up and think about it. have faith in your team

Why exactly should anyone have faith in this team after this past weekend/entire second half of the season?

QUOTE(credeisamazing @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)

The cubs sell their fans believe blue wristbands for a 1 dollar.

I am a realist, and what about a team who has played under 500 baseball for half of the season screams, that they can overcome a 4 game lead in 14 games.

This is the most aggravating, confusing and infuriating season any Chicago sports franchise has ever had. When I so much as think about this team, I get sick to my stomach.

No it isn't.

Are you serious? There have been plenty worse than this monstrocity of mediocrity.

Many many many worse than this.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
I can honestly say that this year wasn't even fun to watch. Even in other years (losing years, in fact), they were at least still enjoyable to watch.

This year was just one kick in the junk after another.

Actually not true.....first half, a pleasure to watch and I don't have enough fingers to count how many times I said to myself "these are good days to be a sox fan"......second half, exact opposite, every day a nailbiter and post game nausea......bi-polar is the best way to describe this year's Sox team

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
No it isn't.

Are you serious? There have been plenty worse than this monstrocity of mediocrity.

There's been worse teams statistically obviously; however, this team was expected to not only make the playoffs, but at the least make the World Series.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
No it isn't.

Greg,

When you have a team as talented as this one, coming off of a world series, do you think its a bit disasterous that they dont make the playoffs.

The 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001 teams frustrated me. In 1997 when we had the white flag trade I nearly lost my mind on the give up.

But this one should of made the playoffs. There was not one major injury this year.

9 game lead on the twinks at the ASB and a 6 game lead on the yanks. Thats a choke job Greg.

Manuel took a lot of "talented" teams to the brink of the playoffs only to watch them s*** themselves in the month of september. This is no different, just more painful. This team should of been in the dance. But they wont get a chance to make it. And its entirely of their own fault collectively.

On the bright side, at least we were in contention for the whole season, which means our attendance was superb this season. That can only help for next year's payroll. I'm not even that pissed off right now, as this team has done nothing since the ASB to make me think we'd be able to hang with the Tigers and Twins down the stretch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
On the bright side, at least we were in contention for the whole season, which means our attendance was superb this season. That can only help for next year's payroll. I'm not even that pissed off right now, as this team has done nothing since the ASB to make me think we'd be able to hang with the Tigers and Twins down the stretch.

I expect that to take a dip next year though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)

Thank god for the Bears. I think I'd be pissed off about how frustrating this season ended up, but since the Bears look as good as they have in 15 years, it's been a little easier to move on.