And That's A White Sox Season

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 02:55 AM)
I expect that to take a dip next year though.

I think that the Sox organization still believes we have one more year in our "window".

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
I'm not at all suprised that we got swept out there. Hopefully next year we play them out there early on. Get our losses over with.

For the past two months it seems like we never could get the big hit or the big pitch, especially with two outs. Execution just seemed awful in every way. And when we did get a big hit or big pitch in a situation like that, it seemed like we couldn't go out there and do it again.

Anyway, very dissapointing. We will end up getting exactly what we deserved. It'll be interesting to see what happens in teh offseason. I wish you could go out and buy 'execution'.

Great post...I'm proud of you. :cheers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to know about more disappointing seasons?

Ones where we were out of it in early summer!

I've been a sox fan my whole lilfe and 20 games over .500 is NOT nearly the

worst season I've gone through.

There were some great games to enjoy this season.

I remember one game where it looked like we still had the magic of a year ago when

I believe it was Iguchi hit a bomb on a sunday night game.

The four of six versus the Cubs were good.

We had a lot of great wins.

Only one team can win it all.

This season unraveled unfortunately when we were keeping within striking distance

of Detroit, a team that just would not lose a series except when they played us.

Then we finally had a s***ty week and the Tigers kept winning and upped their

lead on us to 8 games or whatever.

We lost the magic and it was time to start blaming whomever you wanted to:

Oz, Pods, bullpen, KW, everybody had their favorites. Oz mostly.

If you want I'll go through the list of Sox seasons year by year and tell you ones much

worse for me, but I don't feel like doing that now.

and yes I've watched the Royals, a once proud franchise be out of it before the All

Star break for the last 10 years now. If we are in "contention" all year I don't consider

it a wasted season to be a fan. There were some great games this year. We just

don't have what it takes to get in the playoffs.

Baseball is a great sport and I'll be sad when there are no more games to play in a

couple weeks.

Edited by greg775

This season has been a disappointment, but seriously, this team has 4 90+ win seasons in my lifetime, and it looks like this will be the 5th. It has still been a good season overall.

That being said,, the high hopes coming into the season have really made this "end" to the season hurt, although technically, with Detroit coming to Chicago for the next 3, the years not over yet. (this isn't saying I expect the Sox to sweep Detroit)

This might have been posted in these last pages, I haven't read them. If not, flame away :)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)

I remember one game where it looked like we still had the magic of a year ago when

So you reference a game we eventually lost, and 4 out of 6 wins against one of the worst teams in all of baseball?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)

We had a lot of great wins.

Only one team can win it all.

This season unraveled unfortunately when we were keeping within striking distance

of Detroit, a team that just would not lose a series except when they played us.

Then we finally had a s***ty week and the Tigers kept winning and upped their

lead on us to 8 games or whatever.

We lost the magic and it was time to start blaming whomever you wanted to:

Oz, Pods, bullpen, KW, everybody had their favorites. Oz mostly.

If you want I'll go through the list of Sox seasons year by year and tell you ones much

worse for me, but I don't feel like doing that now.

and yes I've watched the Royals, a once proud franchise be out of it before the All

Star break for the last 10 years now. If we are in "contention" all year I don't consider

it a wasted season to be a fan. There were some great games this year. We just

don't have what it takes to get in the playoffs.

Baseball is a great sport and I'll be sad when there are no more games to play in a

couple weeks.

100 million dollar payroll. Complete gutage (I know that's not a word. You know what I'm saying, though) of the farm system. Disgusting talent from top to bottom. And all you get is a 3rd place team? This season will go down as one of the most pathetic in White Sox history.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
The saddest thing is, I've lost basically all interest in next year's team even if KW went out and got a new group of players that I actually liked and felt have a chance to will it all I have no faith that they'd be used the right way. NOTHING I've seen this year makes me believe that they'd be put in the best position to succeed.

It doesn't even feel like a swift kick to the crotch. I trusted this team, I felt safe with this team, I thought they'd never do a thing to harm me, I opened up to them and let them see the real me. Then the 2nd half came along and the Sox took my trust and used it against me. Frankly, I feel violated.

Thanks bruh, this had me laughing out loud in a thread that'd been deepening my depression with every response............... :D

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
Fathom I'm sure you'v enjoyed some of the games this year.

If not forgive me for misreading you.

There have been plenty of seasons worse than this one.

Sure, there's been some great wins this year. Nothing makes a person feel better after getting their appendix removed than seeing AJP hit a 2 out, 3 run homer against the Cubs. However, I think it's safe to say this is the most disappointing 2nd half of the season I can remember.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Fathom I'm sure you'v enjoyed some of the games this year.

If not forgive me for misreading you.

There have been plenty of seasons worse than this one.

I enjoyed a lot of games in 1998 and 2000 and 2001 oh and 2003 HEY! I've enjoyed games every single season since I've been watching baseball. Just because I enjoyed a bunch of games this season doesn't mean this year is any less disappointing, infuriating or confusing.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Um, I beg to differ on that.

I do agree with you however we underachieved. No doubt.

But cmon.

Disgusting = prolific/awesome

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
Not that it matters, but I have been to 33 games this season,24 of them wins, and that was the best game I was at all season. :)

Yep, that was a game I really thought we would win. If I recall correctly, we had a 9 game winning streak going into that game. For my money, I still believe that the turning point of this season was Cora sending Iguchi home foolishly against the Royals. We had won 5 in a row, and had started to get our swagger back. Iguchi is thrown out easily, Vazquez implodes in the 6th inning, and we've sucked since then.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I think that the Sox organization still believes we have one more year in our "window".

I agree. Despite my knee-jerk reaction to wanna tear this team apart, we're definitely going to be retooling for next year. JR reinvests the money made from the previous year into the next year's team. We'll have one of the biggest payrolls again next year.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Um, I beg to differ on that.

I do agree with you however we underachieved. No doubt.

But cmon.

Are you serious? What's not to like about this team on paper? It's not all on Ozzie, but he's done a HORRIBLE job managing this particular team this year. I can think of atleast 15 other managers that would easily have this team in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
I enjoyed a lot of games in 1998 and 2000 and 2001 oh and 2003 HEY! I've enjoyed games every single season since I've been watching baseball. Just because I enjoyed a bunch of games this season doesn't mean this year is any less disappointing, infuriating or confusing.

You know, atleast in 2003, even though they eventually choked, the Sox gave the fans of Chicago a hell of a run. 7 games back at the ASB, only to take a 2 game lead in the division come mid-September. It's just unfortunate that it couldn't have turned out better.

This year, they've been sitting on the pot all year, waiting to s***, waiting to s***, and they waited too long. Instead, they have finally been kicked into the s***ter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)

Disgusting = prolific/awesome

Ahhh, he thought I meant our talent was mediocre.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:26 AM)
You know, atleast in 2003, even though they eventually choked, the Sox gave the fans of Chicago a hell of a run. 7 games back at the ASB, only to take a 2 game lead in the division come mid-September. It's just unfortunate that it couldn't have turned out better.

This year, they've been sitting on the pot all year, waiting to s***, waiting to s***, and they waited too long. Instead, they have finally been kicked into the s***ter.

And that Twins team was awesome.

I'm not entirely surprised that the Sox faded in the 2nd half.

They've done this every year since 2000, if I recall correctly. (Except for 2003, as the post above me reminded me)

I don't know why that is exactly, but it always happens.

It's just more disappointing this year because of the higher expectations.

And this has not been the worst Sox season I can remember, not even close.

The first half was amazing, the second half heartbreaking.

Being at USCF on Ring Day guaranteed that this could NEVER be the worst Sox season in memory.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Sure, there's been some great wins this year. Nothing makes a person feel better after getting their appendix removed than seeing AJP hit a 2 out, 3 run homer against the Cubs. However, I think it's safe to say this is the most disappointing 2nd half of the season I can remember.

I believe it was you that said it best before...this year would have been immensely heart-breaking if we had not won a championship last year.

And just to be clear, I do find this year's collapse saddening, just not at the level some people are making it out to be.

It ain't easy to repeat, and the pre-season favorite usually doesn't go all the way... :(

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm not entirely surprised that the Sox faded in the 2nd half.

They've done this every year since 2000, if I recall correctly. (Except for 2003, as the post above me reminded me)

I don't know why that is exactly, but it always happens.

It's just more disappointing this year because of the higher expectations.

And this has not been the worst Sox season I can remember, not even close.

The first half was amazing, the second half heartbreaking.

Being at USCF on Ring Day guaranteed that this could NEVER be the worst Sox season in memory.

I have to respectfully disagree. This season is the worst ever in my 16 years as a Sox fan. I remember not being able to sleep at night during the offseason because I was so damn excited about this year's team. Every aspect of this team was upgraded from 2005. How could anyone not be hype? This team was in prime position to do what many others before them failed to do. Repeat. And we won't even get the chance to do that. 3rd place for a team with this level of talent is simply pathetic. I never in a million years thought there would be no playoff baseball in Chicago come October.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
I believe it was you that said it best before...this year would have been immensely heart-breaking if we had not won a championship last year.

And just to be clear, I do find this year's collapse saddening, just not at the level some people are making it out to be.

It ain't easy to repeat, and the pre-season favorite usually doesn't go all the way... :(

All I wanted was a chance. I realize how hard it is to repeat. I just wanted to see this team make it to the playoffs. This season has been a complete bust.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)

Yep, I'm 100 pct behind the comment you're referring to. If the Sox didn't win the WS last year, and then collapsed in the 2nd half of the season like we did this year, it would have been so hard to handle.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 03:33 AM)
All I wanted was a chance. I realize how hard it is to repeat. I just wanted to see this team make it to the playoffs. This season has been a complete bust.

I just wanted another DVD to watch.