And That's A White Sox Season

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
I have to respectfully disagree. This season is the worst ever in my 16 years as a Sox fan. I remember not being able to sleep at night during the offseason because I was so damn excited about this year's team. Every aspect of this team was upgraded from 2005. How could anyone not be hype? This team was in prime position to do what many others before them failed to do. Repeat. And we won't even get the chance to do that. 3rd place for a team with this level of talent is simply pathetic. I never in a million years thought there would be no playoff baseball in Chicago come October.

All I wanted was a chance. I realize how hard it is to repeat. I just wanted to see this team make it to the playoffs. This season has been a complete bust.

We all thought the team was upgraded, but the fact is, the rotation faltered.

I'm not saying this season wasn't disappointing, I'm simply saying that there have been many many worse seasons for me as a Sox fan.

The late 80's, for example. You knew going in that the Sox had NO shot at the playoffs. THAT is a disappointment.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
I believe it was you that said it best before...this year would have been immensely heart-breaking if we had not won a championship last year.

And just to be clear, I do find this year's collapse saddening, just not at the level some people are making it out to be.

It ain't easy to repeat, and the pre-season favorite usually doesn't go all the way... :(

Just because it's not easy to repeat doesn't mean it shouldn't be expected, the Blue Jays won in both '92 and '93 and the Yankees won in '98, '99 and '00. So out of the past 13 World Series Champions there has been 3 repeats and there have been 3 multi-world series winning franchises (Jays, Yanks, Marlins). And for the record the White Sox weren't even a clear cut favorite this year, IMO the Yankees were.

All I wanted was a chance. I realize how hard it is to repeat. I just wanted to see this team make it to the playoffs. This season has been a complete bust.

I view it the same way. I really just wanted to see this team make it into the playoffs, and this team had the talent to do it. Their second half has been a tremendous disappointment, and to be honest, I'm glad the Bears are rocking so I can put the Sox on ignore for a few months. I'm tired of seeing a different facet of our lineup fail to show up on any given night, tired of Ozzie's ritahded lineups, tired of reading Ozzie's ritahded interviews, and tired of all the idiot Sox fans who thinks we haven't won this year because we didn't play 'small ball.'

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
So we're down to hoping for a miracle, and the bad news is, nothing about this year's team indicates that a miracle is coming.

I'll always be grateful for last year, but it seems like it's time to re-open that old phrase:

Wait Til Next Year.

I'll be at the wake tomorrow night, and the funeral on Sunday.

I'll still be cheering for them, and I'll be HAPPY to have a nice crow dinner on October 1st, but I just don't see it happening this year.

Just remember what Pedro said:

"Miracles happen when you make them happen."

QUOTE(Damen @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
I view it the same way. I really just wanted to see this team make it into the playoffs, and this team had the talent to do it. Their second half has been a tremendous disappointment, and to be honest, I'm glad the Bears are rocking so I can put the Sox on ignore for a few months. I'm tired of seeing a different facet of our lineup fail to show up on any given night, tired of Ozzie's ritahded lineups, tired of reading Ozzie's ritahded interviews, and tired of all the idiot Sox fans who thinks we haven't won this year because we didn't play 'small ball.'

This is gold, pure gold.

I cannot wait until this season comes to an end this season has just been a nightmare watching this team wet the bed night after night since the ASB I remember sitting in the stands in Cinncy so fired up about this team thinking we were going to win 100 games this year, then interleague play ended and the Sox started to fade, hopefully the Bears make me forget about this season just like the Sox World series DvD made me forget about the Bears playoff loss

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Just because it's not easy to repeat doesn't mean it shouldn't be expected

I wanted it real bad too.

But with the horrendous dropoff by our pitching, my expectations turned to just hoping they could turn it around. Looks like that never happened. :(

I also don't think this season should make you completely lose interest in following your team next year...

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
R.I.P. 2006

Thanks for the nausea.

I really wish I could cancel my trip to Minny for the last three.....

well, those games might mean something. I'll be the optimistic voice and say that this season is still salvageable. yes, this was rough (there's an understatement), but we always suck on these West Coast road trips. last season we went to Oakland and lost 2 of 3, but that trip was in July, thus not as crippling. don't get me wrong, this year's team isn't even close to as good as 2005, but nobody in the AL stands above the rest, so if the Sox can step up the rest of the way, we're in a dogfight in the postseason, and there will be no 11-1 runs. but that's if something can come around (hitting, pitching).

We all thought the team was upgraded, but the fact is, the rotation faltered.

I'm not saying this season wasn't disappointing, I'm simply saying that there have been many many worse seasons for me as a Sox fan.

The late 80's, for example. You knew going in that the Sox had NO shot at the playoffs. THAT is a disappointment.

This is what I was trying to say in regard to my position on this thread. The Critic said it for me. I agree wtih The Critic

wholeheartedly.

This is my stance on the season from my perspective as well.

Though I would add the bullpen also faltered and we had the automatic out in cf coupled with the butcher on days the

automatic out didn't play. As well as the automatic out in lf.

I realize I'm being too hard on BA. I know, he hit .300 the last 3 months; but like some other poster pointed out he wasn't exactly

mr. clutch.

If we sweep Detroit, we'll be 2 games back of them.

Minny play a resurgent Boston who took 3 out of 4 at Yankee Stadium. We'd need to be within 3 of either team after this series to have ANY chance.

But that means our guys have to step up, and they haven't done that in the past couple of months. It's just annoying because you know the talent is there to win another world series but for whatever reason they just haven't gotten the job done.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
This is what I was trying to say in regard to my position on this thread. The Critic said it for me. I agree wtih The Critic

wholeheartedly.

This is my stance on the season from my perspective as well.

Though I would add the bullpen also faltered and we had the automatic out in cf coupled with the butcher on days the

automatic out didn't play. As well as the automatic out in lf.

I realize I'm being too hard on BA. I know, he hit .300 the last 3 months; but like some other poster pointed out he wasn't exactly

mr. clutch.

And the most automatic of all outs at SS in Uribe since Cintron had all but disappeared up until today.

Detroit has KC six times the rest of the way. Minny has KC four. if they can play spoiler against of those teams, and the Sox don't blow it at home vs. Seattle and Detroit (knock on wood), then we're playing October baseball. it's going to be a ride...or a car crash. either or.

I have to respectfully disagree. This season is the worst ever in my 16 years as a Sox fan. I remember not being able to sleep at night during the offseason because I was so damn excited about this year's team. Every aspect of this team was upgraded from 2005. How could anyone not be hype? This team was in prime position to do what many others before them failed to do. Repeat. And we won't even get the chance to do that. 3rd place for a team with this level of talent is simply pathetic. I never in a million years thought there would be no playoff baseball in Chicago come October.

Dick Stockton reminded me of something on the broadcast yesterday that I haven't really thought of. The Sox have NEVER made the playoffs two years in a row. It's sickening.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Dick Stockton reminded me of something on the broadcast yesterday that I haven't really thought of. The Sox have NEVER made the playoffs two years in a row. It's sickening.

YES. For an organization thats been around for 100 plus years, to not make the playoffs 2 yrs in a row is embarrassing. Especially considering in the last 10 years, we've had teams good enough to do so.

This season was over to me after that sickening Boston series in July. It was like getting a glimpse into the SOX future .................. And I didnt like what I saw. For all our troubles this season, I will squarely rest it on Ozzies mismanagement of the lineup and bullpen, particularly MACKOWIAK IN CENTER. I love Mack, but almost every game hes been in Center, has cost us dearly ................

I was so DISGUSTED after saturdays give-away game, as Ive ever been in 3 months ....

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
YES. For an organization thats been around for 100 plus years, to not make the playoffs 2 yrs in a row is embarrassing. Especially considering in the last 10 years, we've had teams good enough to do so.

This season was over to me after that sickening Boston series in July. It was like getting a glimpse into the SOX future .................. And I didnt like what I saw. For all our troubles this season, I will squarely rest it on Ozzies mismanagement of the lineup and bullpen, particularly MACKOWIAK IN CENTER. I love Mack, but almost every game hes been in Center, has cost us dearly ................

Absolutly-the Mack in CF just the beginning. The leaving pitchers in too long-the never ending parades to the mound to take out a warmed up pitcher who just got an out-to bring in another just because of left/right batter, "resting" Iguchi against right handers when he couldnt hit left handers, the repeated Joey Cora blunders at third, throwing outs away on bunts when its clear that we dont score runs that way-this team should have fimished ahead of both Detroit & Minn. When a group underachieves like this-its the manager

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
There's no way Ozzie ISN'T managing the Sox next year. I just hope maybe at least Cora isn't here anymore. That man has truly done nothing to earn having a secure job. In fact, he's more than earned his walking papers.

You're being too harsh... Cora doesn't make a difference in a game save about three times this season.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
You're being too harsh... Cora doesn't make a difference in a game save about three times this season.

hahahahaha, I can count 3 occasions right now, where he got Konerko thrown out by a country mile at home plate ......

Cora is being way to AGGRESSIVE with a Slower team. Thats like Joey entering the Indy 500 with only a souped up Lexus

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)

That's not true. He has repeatedly cost the Sox runs. I may overreact to things, but I am dead serious about this one. Joey Cora should be fired. He, in no way, has earned his job.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 18, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
That's not true. He has repeatedly cost the Sox runs. I may overreact to things, but I am dead serious about this one. Joey Cora should be fired. He, in no way, has earned his job.

To be fair, I don't get to watch these guys every day like ya'll... but aggressive vs. stupid baserunning is on the players, too.

Like I said the other day... when Ozzie threw a fit about the beer, etc. after the game, that told me that he's more about the partying, etc. then winning. They are living off of last year's hog, and that sucks for us.

My biggest beef with Ozzie has been Mack in center. It's not his position...I know it, he knows it, the whole world knows it. When Mack makes comments like below, you wonder if he is telling Ozzie...Hey, I appreciate the playing time, but this is not my position and I'm hurting the team by being here. Mack isn't a fool and he's pretty much taking one for the team so to speak. Ozzie has put him in this position and I applaud him for taking on the challenge even though it makes him look like an idiot at times.

I just read today where Ozzie said he starters will start every game from here on out?? I wonder who his starting CF is? I don't like playing manager and questioning every pitching decision or whatever...Players have a way of making a manager look really bad or really good. Every manager is questioned for their in game decisions, but this is not an in game decision. It says Ozzie thought this over and this is what he's doing. It says the whole world is wrong and I'm right. It makes you wonder if Ozzie has any clue about Andersons second half. Does he even know he has better offensive numbers than Mack? The last few times I've heard Ozzie talk about Brian it's as if he's still looking at his first half numbers.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt16.html

Ozzie likes Mackowiak in center

September 16, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter Advertisement

OAKLAND, Calif. --Rob Mackowiak started in center field for the third time in the last four games on Friday night, as Guillen obviously has shown which player he is most confident with in crunch time. And it isn't Brian Anderson.

''Right now we have to put the best lineup [on the field],'' Guillen said. ''It's a must-win thing and not just play the game.''

Mackowiak rewarded the move with a solo home run in the third inning off Esteban Loaiza.

Mackowiak said he's surprised he's been used as much as he has been, but definitely wasn't going to complain.

''I think I've been a little surprised because I haven't played the greatest defense, and you have to have your best out there at this time of the year, especially center field,'' Mackowiak said. ''I guess we need offense in there too right now.''

PH6Sunday9-17.jpg

Edited by Controlled Chaos

Busy trying to sell my last two games of the year. Don't need to witness this garbage in person, any longer. What a piece of s*** second half we have had. I look forward to watching the Bears, and hearing about the dead weight we get rid of in the off-season.

And Ozzie will be the manager next year...he was the first guy to win a WS in this town in the last 88 years.