Ozzie Still Not a BA fan

Heads22

Notes: White Sox stand up to critics

Guillen defends winter moves despite recent sweep at Oakland

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- If the White Sox fall short of their current push for the postseason, rookie Brian Anderson knows the "what-if" questions will be asked almost immediately. In fact, some of those questions are being put forth currently.

And they aren't exactly asked in a supportive way of Anderson and his .234 average. The questions seem to follow the path of: What if the White Sox kept Frank Thomas and didn't trade Aaron Rowand for Jim Thome? Would they be a better team?

Anderson, for one, isn't really concerned with what others outside the immediate White Sox family believe about his contributions.

"Oh, yeah. I don't care. It doesn't bother me," said Anderson, knowing the question before it was even completely asked of him. "Whatever they want to do -- whatever makes them sleep better at night. I really couldn't care less. I don't know -- they are entitled to their own opinion, I guess."

This particular question was asked a bit more frequently over the weekend, as two Thomas home runs in crucial situations on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, helped the A's complete a sweep of the White Sox. By manager Ozzie Guillen's own admission, "Frank Thomas kicked our butts."

Thomas has moved himself into serious American League Most Valuable Player Award consideration with his 38 home runs and 105 RBIs, but Guillen doesn't appreciate questions comparing Thomas to Thome. For starters, Thomas was not coming back to the White Sox, not with a $10 million club option and reports on the health of his ankle not painting the brightest of pictures.

Thome was targeted to improve the balance in the White Sox lineup, not to mention adding another positive clubhouse presence. Thome has done everything asked of him and then some, but Guillen believes that Thomas might not have produced the same sort of comeback season in Chicago.

"Do I think Frank [would] play the same way here as in Oakland? I don't know about that," Guillen said. "Frank had to prove a lot to people and make sure people know he could still play, but I don't think he would do it here.

"I'm glad [he's done] what [he's done]," Guillen added. "I'm not happy he did what he did against us."

Guillen also pointed out the current inactivity of Rowand, sidelined in Philadelphia by a broken ankle. But he also didn't support Anderson quite as stridently as he did Thome and his 100 RBIs.

"Am I happy with Brian? Well, not really," Guillen said. "I thought he would be better, at least give me better at-bats. I didn't expect him to hit .350, but I expected him to give me better at-bats.

"But just because Frank beat us a couple of days doesn't mean he's [had] a better year than Thome," Guillen added.

Change the plan: General manager Ken Williams certainly doesn't consider Thomas a friend or a man he would even engage in casual conversation, at this point. But Williams knows baseball, and on Monday, he again explained how he also knows a great talent when he sees one.

"He's one of the greatest talents the game has seen," said Williams of Thomas. "Aside from my personal feelings on the other end of things -- everybody knows how I feel about that -- but on this end of the things, on the baseball field, he's a special guy."

With that compliment aside, Williams wasn't thrilled with the White Sox approach to the Big Hurt.

"Suffice to say, I wasn't very happy with the plan we had against him," Williams said. "We, above anybody, should know how to pitch to him. But it's over and done with. You have to tip your hat to Frank for rising up to a big game for his team and the occasion."

A view from above: Following Oakland's victory over Chicago on Sunday that completed the three-game sweep, White Sox television play-by-play man Ken "Hawk" Harrelson delivered fairly pointed criticism of the team he so ardently supports, calling them underachievers and stating that this year's crew lacks killer instinct as compared to the 2005 World Series champions.

Harrelson's critique was accepted by Guillen, who mentioned that the animated announcer should have a pretty good idea in comparing the two teams through all of the games he has watched over the past two seasons. But Guillen and his players didn't necessarily agree with the assessment, characterizing a lack of killer instinct more as frustration over not playing up to the level expected of them.

"It's not easy getting beat when we take the lead and then give away the lead so quick," Guillen said. "We score two runs, and the next inning, they score two more.

"We just don't have a stretch where we go out and beat someone's butt. Meanwhile, we are winning."

The White Sox came into Monday's game with a 27-34 record in the season's second half. But Guillen admitted that there was reason to be upset after the three-game weekend fiasco in Oakland.

"I bet you Hawk feels the same way I feel after the game," Guillen said. "That was the longest four- or five-hour flight of my life. It was frustrating for everyone."

"You're programmed to play," added White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, who wouldn't agree or disagree with Harrelson. "Sometimes, you execute; sometimes, you don't. That's the way I look at it."

Thoughts for a friend: Prior to Monday's context, Guillen had not yet touched base with Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee concerning the serious health issue involving Lee's young daughter. Lee, who was close with Guillen during their days together in Florida, will miss the final two weeks of the regular season to be with his family.

Lee's tough family situation gave a little perspective for Guillen in the White Sox postseason chase.

"My wife said people have more problems than your team," Guillen said. "You lose, you come back next year. One of my friends has a kid who is very sick, and I don't know what's going on. I worry about his family and I want to make sure he knows my family is behind him 100 percent and everyone is behind him.

"He's had a tough year. Broken hand, don't play the way he wants to play, the team doesn't play like it should and now he has a bigger problem.

"[in] baseball, when you stink and [are] not good, people forget about you," Guillen added. "But your family is going to be there."

A look ahead: While the White Sox try for the best possible finish in 2006, going for a second straight playoff appearance, their tentative 2007 schedule was released on Monday. For the third straight year, the South Siders will play host to the Indians to start the campaign. The season's first game takes place on Monday, April 2, followed by an off-day, then two more against the Indians.

The White Sox will also close at home with three against the Royals and three against the Tigers. Interleague Play features trips to Philadelphia (June 11-13) and Pittsburgh (June 15-17), with home games against Houston (June 8-10) and Florida (June 18-20). The Cubs will visit U.S. Cellular from June 22-24, after a three-game set at Wrigley Field from May 18-20.

The Red Sox will play one series in Chicago, while the Yankees will visit for seven games. The White Sox are home for 13 weekends in 2007.

Up next: How can Freddy Garcia (14-9, 4.82 ERA) top last Wednesday's trip to the mound in Anaheim? About the only way possible is if Garcia completes a perfect game against rookie Justin Verlander (16-8, 3.42 ERA) and the Tigers on Tuesday. Garcia hurled 7 2/3 innings of perfect baseball against the Angels before Adam Kennedy broke up a date with history on a single to center. Garcia is 14-5 with a 3.81 ERA lifetime when facing Detroit.

I honestly think he just doesn't like Brian.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say that I just don't give a s*** anymore.

This is the most important part of this article IMO:

With that compliment aside, Williams wasn't thrilled with the White Sox approach to the Big Hurt.

"Suffice to say, I wasn't very happy with the plan we had against him," Williams said. "We, above anybody, should know how to pitch to him. But it's over and done with. You have to tip your hat to Frank for rising up to a big game for his team and the occasion."

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
I honestly think he just doesn't like Brian.

Ozzie's punishment for this season should be to watch a 2 hour compilation of Mack's CF "highlights", interspersed with quotes of Ozzie talking about how important defense is.

Ozzie's a hypocrite and a moron, and he needs someone to drill into his head just how wrong he's been with Anderson.

I'm honestly very impressed that BA stayed as consistent as he did from early June on, considering he constantly had to to deal with Ozzie's bulls*** comments to the media, and never being able to get into a rhythym due to Ozzie's benching him even after he posted great games at the plate.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)
I can honestly say that I just don't give a s*** anymore.

This is the most important part of this article IMO:

I've boycotted writing anything at the blog, but this one number fricken one on my list of gripes.

The guy doesn't hit doubles, doesn't hit the ball the other way, doesn't hit for power to left field, stands far of the plate looking to turn on the ball.... Um, hello! McFly! How about throwing this guy nothing but fastballs, sliders, maybe even some changeups away? What's the worst that's going to happen? A single? A walk? He can't do anything else with it. Take away his lone strength.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Taking a step back, should Ozzie really say he is happy with his CF batting .233?

This place would go NUTS if Ozzie said he was happy with Pods this season, yet if Ozzie doesnt say he is happy with Brian, he looks like an ass.

I am huge BA fan. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have made #44 my jersey purchase for the year. BUT, he was asked if he was happy with what Brian gave him this season, and im not sure I can really be too upset with his answer.

BTW, the playing time issue is a whole other topic.....

I wouldn't even make a big deal about it if he said something about that thing in left field or profundo at short.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
I'm gonna need an Ozzie/KW spat and I'm gonna need it now.

I heard a theory that Ozzie and KW really hated each other, that KW was one his way out in the 03 offseason and Reinsdorf made him hire Ozzie (he wanted Cito). Since then they've had many issues, Ozzie's been behind some of the moves (KW didn't want to do Freddy deal) and had fights, including about KW going into the clubhouse. I took it all with a grain of salt since it was a Cubs fan, but he claims he is with some of the Sox investors/board members (through friends) and got the stories from them, Still don't buy it, but you never know what happens behind the scenes.

I don't understand Ozzie's BA quote. I think he gets better AB's if he's in the lineup more, and doesn't have to platoon. He is a rookie after all, and gives you defense. Maybe he just has it in for guys who are single.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
I'm gonna need an Ozzie/KW spat and I'm gonna need it now.

yea, Ozzie has handled this team like s*** this year. if you want examples ill gladly list.

I think ill go vist BA at his signing coming up, tell him that his glove is the 1337 sauce, and that ozzie is a douche bag.

Ozzie Guillen, your team has lost 4 straight games and pretty much any shot at a playoff birth. What do you have to say?

"I don't like Brian Anderson."

STFU Ozzie, honestly. He's a rookie who plays very good defense in CF and started hitting better in the 2nd half, but you refused to play him and give him a shot to do anything at all because you hate rookies. I'd say you should worry about like 10 other players on this team that have just completely crapped their pants and done very little in the 2nd half, rather than your #9 hitter.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
I wouldn't even make a big deal about it if he said something about that thing in left field or profundo at short.

Heads tonights game was a microcosm of Ozzies failed logic.

He takes out Anderson to get a lefty AB. Okay, I can deal with that. But then after Pods gets on. He lets profundo who has just about the same BA as BA. But one difference, Profundo is a vet, he has been crappy all year long, not just started out bad like BA. Ross Gload or Cintron should of come up for Profundo.

But unfortunately Uribe's 234 is acceptable, but BA's 234 is bad. I dont get it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
I will say this thread is probably going to be like 10 pages on arguments we've all had before. Everyone knows how I feel about this topic and I'm just going to leave it at that. Maybe BA and Ozzie can be on celebrity boxing sometime in the offseason. I'd enjoy that.

It's getting close to "Is Mark Buehrle an Ace?" like proportions.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
I heard a theory that Ozzie and KW really hated each other, that KW was one his way out in the 03 offseason and Reinsdorf made him hire Ozzie (he wanted Cito). Since then they've had many issues, Ozzie's been behind some of the moves (KW didn't want to do Freddy deal) and had fights, including about KW going into the clubhouse. I took it all with a grain of salt since it was a Cubs fan, but he claims he is with some of the Sox investors/board members (through friends) and got the stories from them, Still don't buy it, but you never know what happens behind the scenes.

I don't understand Ozzie's BA quote. I think he gets better AB's if he's in the lineup more, and doesn't have to platoon. He is a rookie after all, and gives you defense. Maybe he just has it in for guys who are single.

That sounds just oh so damn sweet, it really does and plausable at that. Alright lets just say for a second that this is all true and Ozzie/KW really don't like eachother just imagine for a second what it would have been like if the Sox had retained Frank Thomas for the '06 season.

Kenny hates Ozzie

Ozzie hates Kenny

Kenny hates Frank

Frank hates Kenny

Ozzie hates Frank

Frank hates Ozzie

Reinsdorf loves Frank

Frank loves Reinsdorf

KW is so so with Reinsdorf

Reinsdorf is so so with Kenny

It's like a badass baseball soap oprah.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)

That sounds just oh so damn sweet, it really does and plausable at that. Alright lets just say for a second that this is all true and Ozzie/KW really don't like eachother just imagine for a second what it would have been like if the Sox had retained Frank Thomas for the '06 season.

Kenny hates Ozzie

Ozzie hates Kenny

Kenny hates Frank

Frank hates Kenny

Ozzie hates Frank

Frank hates Ozzie

Reinsdorf loves Frank

Frank loves Reinsdorf

That'd make such a better movie than the moneyball movie.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
It's getting close to "Is Mark Buehrle an Ace?" like proportions.

Kenny hates Ozzie

Ozzie hates Kenny

Kenny hates Frank

Frank hates Kenny

Ozzie hates Frank

Frank hates Ozzie

Reinsdorf loves Frank

Frank loves Reinsdorf

And then lets toss in the not aware of whats going on.

Here is Kongs quote about Harrelson stating that they lack intensity.

"It's a free country," Konerko said. "Everybody's entitled to their opinions. I'm not going to say he's wrong or right. You're programmed to play. Sometimes you execute, sometimes you don't. That's the way I look at it."

So that is his wrap up of his performance this year. Thank god he is our captain. Good lord.

"Am I happy with Brian? Well, not really," Guillen said. "I thought he would be better, at least give me better at-bats. I didn't expect him to hit .350, but I expected him to give me better at-bats.

How can anybody argue with this?

Anderson truly truly had many horses*** at bats this season.

Yes he was a good fielder. So what. At some point if you want to be a big leaguer you have to have

somewhat of a clue at the plate.

Anderson had a bad season at the plate; great season in the field and we had nobody on the roster

capable of subbing for him. Mack was a disgrace and there was NOBODY else.

Im with Greg on this one and Ozzie too....BA has had terrible at bats all year long. Even when he has been better and raised his average up to .234 he still has terrible at bat after terrible at bat. Im not sure why there is so much man love for him. He is a good fielder and a very suspect hitter at best.......and I never agree with anything Ozzie does or says but he definitely shouldn't be happy with what Brian has done!

Mack playing center has been terrible. This guy is a utility player and thats it...he shouldn't ever be in center. Unfortunately this team was put together without a real CF or LF....Platooning Mack with BA and Pods with Pablo is a disgrace for a team defending the world series!

Uribe has been terrible all season as well. Why Cintron didn't get to play over him ill never know. This team can't afford to have Uribe, Anderson and Pods all in the lineup.....no team can with how useless Pods and Uribe have become!

I for one really hope we can get a starting CF and a starting LF for next year. If BA goes on to another team I won't be upset. Ive seen enough of him at the plate to think he might never get the job done consistently. This platooning lefties and righties is good if you want to be a third place team!

QUOTE(tpezz27 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
Im with Greg on this one and Ozzie too....BA has had terrible at bats all year long. Even when he has been better and raised his average up to .234 he still has terrible at bat after terrible at bat. Im not sure why there is so much man love for him. He is a good fielder and a very suspect hitter at best.......and I never agree with anything Ozzie does or says but he definitely shouldn't be happy with what Brian has done!

Mack playing center has been terrible. This guy is a utility player and thats it...he shouldn't ever be in center. Unfortunately this team was put together without a real CF or LF....Platooning Mack with BA and Pods with Pablo is a disgrace for a team defending the world series!

Uribe has been terrible all season as well. Why Cintron didn't get to play over him ill never know. This team can't afford to have Uribe, Anderson and Pods all in the lineup.....no team can with how useless Pods and Uribe have become!

I for one really hope we can get a starting CF and a starting LF for next year. If BA goes on to another team I won't be upset. Ive seen enough of him at the plate to think he might never get the job done consistently. This platooning lefties and righties is good if you want to be a third place team!

How can someone who has post ASB splits of .285/.327/.439 have terrible at bat's after terrible at bat's?

Aaron Rowand for comparison's sake last season put up a .270/.329/.407 line last season. So that means in the 2nd half of this season, Brian Anderson has hit better than Aaron Rowand did last season. And yet I didn't hear Ozzie complain about Aaron Rowand's AB's.

What about Juan Uribe? Wouldn't you say he has terrible AB's after terrible AB's?