It's OVA!

retro1983hat

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Did the Sox get a standing ovation last night for crapping their pants (again) against the Tigers? I think they definitely deserve a standing ovation for losing 2 of 3 in that critical series and basically sleepwalking their way through the second half. Thanks guys!

They deserve to get the s*** kicked out of them. They suck. f*** this team. BOOOOOOOOOOO. Bunch of lazy asses who gave up. There. Does it make it any better?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unhappy ending or not, I had a lot of fun at Sox games this year.

I'm going to cheer like I always do. I've never been much of a "boo-er".

(That, and ketchup, make me a BAD Sox fan...... :bang )

I'll almost certainly be gone by the 9th inning anyway - I'm taking my 6-year-old and she always wants to leave early.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 07:26 AM)
Threads like this kill me. All this talk about "quitting" and "giving up" is hilarious. Many of the same people slamming the team for quitting are the same people who have been throwing players and this team under the bus for years now, yet are pissed off that the team "quit". Hell how hard is it to be a fan? You know you have to do impossibly hard things like encourage the team through rough times, and cheer when they do well, yet still couldn't handle a team that underachieved. Hell half of the sissies here quit going to games and watching games because the Sox weren't 60 games over .500 or something, and have the nerve to call the players quitters? OMG, the irony could be served up as a part of a seven course meal as delicious as that is. In another language I guess you could call it hypocracy. But hey, you all are pissed off the team quit right? Yeah, I mean they had to quit, right? Its not like a dozen of these guys are playing through injuries that would could have easily put them on the DL right? Because if they had given up, and had an easy excuse out, they totally would have taken it right? How many guys are on the DL for the Sox right now? Jeff Nelson is the ONLY guy on the DL right now for the Sox. Umm yeah, really sounds like these guys have quit to me.

Here is your injured player list again since no one cared to acknowledge it yesterday

Jenks-hip

Buehrle-back

Konerko-back

MacDougal-shoulder

Bmac-shoulder

Contreras-back

Dye-back/hammy

Thome-hammy-wrist

Pods-hammy

Politte-rotator cuff

Hermanson-back

Once again, ALL of these guys are playing through this stuff. Not a one of them is on the DL, when it would be the easy way out. Don't give me this bullspiff about quitting, especially when all I hear is about how people aren't going to games or watching games anymore. Nice double standard.

And finally as I have said a million times before, many of you all totally miss the point about sports in general. It isn't supposed to be about who can get the maddest when their team loses, or the happiest when their team wins. Sports is supposed to be a release from you daily life. Its entertainment. No matter how much you love it, or hate it, its not supposed to be a life or death thing, its supposed to bring you a sense of relaxation. If it is making you mad enough where you have to go onto a message board and flip out about something you have no control over, you are probably taking this way too seriously. Relax, and get some perspective on life. In reality, if the Chicago White Sox don't win a game the rest of the year, what have you REALLY lost? Does Justin Morneau get to come kill your dog if the Twins win the division? Does Magglio get a night with your mom if the Tigers win? No? Well then why let what happens on the field affect the rest of your life, and turn you into a raving lunatic? I'll never understand that. In reality, if a game is pissing you off that badly, you need to turn it off and find a new hobby. Watching baseball is supposed to be fun, not an exercize in self-torture. Step away and get some perspective on life.

I'm sorry, but can I get an injury report or is that just an assumption about all those guys? Newsflash, Konerko's been playing with that back for awhile now. It's nothing new. I didn't hear Buehrle having a back problem, maybe he does, but I haven't seen a blurb about it. MacDougal, I'll give you him. McCarthy, again I didn't see a blurb about him playing injured. Contreras is more than likely injured. Dye had a back/hammy injury earlier in the year, but I don't think his hammy is affecting him at all. Thome's hammy injury was earlier in the year too and went away. Maybe his wrist is still off, but not his hammy. Didn't see a blurb about Podsednik. I say it's more of his groin injury from last year than him having a hammy problem. Politte isn't even on the team, therefore shouldn't be discussed. That's like me bringing up Widger. I'll give you Hermy as an injury excuse.

They deserve to get the s*** kicked out of them. They suck. f*** this team. BOOOOOOOOOOO. Bunch of lazy asses who gave up. There. Does it make it any better?

Yes, that is much better. That is what they deserve for the effort they gave this season, particularly in the second half. Actually, what would be even better is if they actually treated all of the games in September like they were actually important games of a stretch run instead of just yawning their way through them and planning their October vacations.

I'm sorry, but can I get an injury report or is that just an assumption about all those guys? Newsflash, Konerko's been playing with that back for awhile now. It's nothing new. I didn't hear Buehrle having a back problem, maybe he does, but I haven't seen a blurb about it. MacDougal, I'll give you him. McCarthy, again I didn't see a blurb about him playing injured. Contreras is more than likely injured. Dye had a back/hammy injury earlier in the year, but I don't think his hammy is affecting him at all. Thome's hammy injury was earlier in the year too and went away. Maybe his wrist is still off, but not his hammy. Didn't see a blurb about Podsednik. I say it's more of his groin injury from last year than him having a hammy problem. Politte isn't even on the team, therefore shouldn't be discussed. That's like me bringing up Widger. I'll give you Hermy as an injury excuse.

Some fans just need to come up with alibis. For them, it's never the talent level, it's never effort, it's injuries or bad breaks or something else out of the team's control. The reality is that EVERY team is dealing with multiple players who are injured. By this time in the season, multiple players on every team have nagging injuries that they are playing through. The Sox get no pass because some of the players are feeling some pain or discomfort. That's what they get paid for.

The problem is that this team isn't playing with fire and intensity game in and game out. Way too often they just sleepwalk through games. 100% effort every night is not too much to ask for. It is the least that we fans deserve.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)

If you haven't seen them, you haven't been looking. This stuff has been in the newspapers, on the radio, and in the news if you listen for it. And actually since I typed that Garcia came out and admitted he has been hurting as well for most of the season, and has just lately started to have is arm feel better.

If you haven't seen them, you haven't been looking. This stuff has been in the newspapers, on the radio, and in the news if you listen for it. And actually since I typed that Garcia came out and admitted he has been hurting as well for most of the season, and has just lately started to have is arm feel better.

I've heard similar things about Santana, Silva, Mauer, Cuddyer, Hunter, Bonderman, Rogers, Castillo, Rodriguez and Thames dealing with injuries/pain/discomfort. All teams have multiple players with nagging injuries. That is no alibi.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
Some fans just need to come up with alibis. For them, it's never the talent level, it's never effort, it's injuries or bad breaks or something else out of the team's control. The reality is that EVERY team is dealing with multiple players who are injured. By this time in the season, multiple players on every team have nagging injuries that they are playing through. The Sox get no pass because some of the players are feeling some pain or discomfort. That's what they get paid for.

The problem is that this team isn't playing with fire and intensity game in and game out. Way too often they just sleepwalk through games. 100% effort every night is not too much to ask for. It is the least that we fans deserve.

You really have no clue what is like to put your body physically everyday for 7-8 months, so you might as well quit acting like it. The funny thing about a nagging injury is that it affects your ability to preform at a 100% level. If you have a hamstring pull, you can't run down to first base at full speed, otherwise you turn your pull, into a tear, and don't play at all for months.

As I said before, if this team really had quit, the DL would be full of these guys. If they had truely quit, they wouldn't be on the playing field everyday, and this line up would be loaded with guys like Sweeney, Fields, Anderson, Haegar, Stewart, and company. But guess what, to a man, every single one of these guys has gutted it out and showed up everyday that they could, to the point of risking major injury in the cases of guys like Jim Thome, or putting off surgeries in the cases of guys like Joe Crede, to try and rescue this season, and all for fans who just don't understand the sport of baseball enough to get that there is more to baseball than what you see between the lines.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:41 AM)
I've heard similar things about Santana, Silva, Mauer, Cuddyer, Hunter, Bonderman, Rogers, Castillo, Rodriguez and Thames dealing with injuries/pain/discomfort. All teams have multiple players with nagging injuries. That is no alibi.

How many of those guys played an extra month of baseball last year?

You really have no clue what is like to put your body physically everyday for 7-8 months, so you might as well quit acting like it. The funny thing about a nagging injury is that it affects your ability to preform at a 100% level. If you have a hamstring pull, you can't run down to first base at full speed, otherwise you turn your pull, into a tear, and don't play at all for months.

I'm sorry, but to me that sounds like you working hard to come up with an alibi for this team. If you see a player who looks like he isn't playing at 100%, you assume it must be some nagging injury. When I see so many Sox players with a lacadaisical effort, I see a team without fire, intensity or hunger. They got their championship and now they're satisfied. They had nagging injuries last year at this team (all teams do) and they still played with intensity. They willed themselves to win. This team isn't doing that at all.

As I said before, if this team really had quit, the DL would be full of these guys. If they had truely quit, they wouldn't be on the playing field everyday, and this line up would be loaded with guys like Sweeney, Fields, Anderson, Haegar, Stewart, and company. But guess what, to a man, every single one of these guys has gutted it out and showed up everyday that they could

So, the proof that they haven't quit is that they are showing up at the ballpark? That's enough for you? It's enough that they just show up and play? THAT isn't enough. That is the very, very least that they have to do. More importantly, they have to give 100%. They have to play all out, every day, particularly in the stretch run. Instead, I see half-hearted efforts.

to the point of risking major injury in the cases of guys like Jim Thome, or putting off surgeries in the cases of guys like Joe Crede, to try and rescue this season
Putting off surgery is a very common thing. Players do it all the time. There are many surgeries that do not need to be done immediately and can easily be postponed until the end of the season. And you have no proof that Thome or anyone else is "risking major injury" by playing. Let's not wildly exaggerate the situation.
and all for fans who just don't understand the sport of baseball enough to get that there is more to baseball than what you see between the lines.
All I want to see is effort. I want to see them giving all they have. And I haven't seen that. And a bunch of injury alibis aren't nearly enough.
How many of those guys played an extra month of baseball last year?
First, that extra "month" was 12 games. And 12 more games in a prior season when you had months off to rest and recuperate shouldn't account for so many more "nagging injuries" that you shouldn't be able to play hard in a stretch run.

Plain and simple. no excuses.

the White Sox played horrible the 2nd half. And 2 teams in the central played better.

I still had a great time at the games this year..tailgating..screaming and yelling..it was an emotional rollercoaster.. Will I do it again. HELL YEAH!.. Nothing better than White Sox baseball for me! I live for this !!

Have for the past 28 yrs!! Hope too see many of you next year (maybe now all the bandwagoners will leave and will let me get my tiks alot cheaper and easier like back in day..LOL) And lets hope for some incredible moves by kenny in the offseason and an 07 Championship!

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
That's a lame excuse. The Yankee teams that made the World Series almost every year a few years back played an extra month every season.

Hmmm, and with a $200 million payroll you also have the ability to go out and buy new players every year too, which they did, repeatedly. (Hi Bobby Abreu!)

(FYI, this might be in response to your post BS, but this rant isn't for you)

Look if you all want to waste your time looking at this as "alibi's" and "excuses" you all can have fun. Keep wallowing in your miserable outlooks on all this stuff, and stay pissed off about it, that's fine. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if you all "give the team a pass" or not. If you feel that things have to be justified to you, once again you completely missed the entire point of my original post. Sports isn't supposed to be a negative influence in your life. It isn't supposed to be something that upsets you to the point where it bothers you past when you turn the game off. You are supposed to get something positive out of it, or you are completely wasting your time. You want something really worth getting upset about, there are pleny of social problems/people that could use a person's energy, as you are completely wasting yourself getting this angry at the Chicago White Sox, any player, or any game. Seriously, some of you need to step away from your computers, and maybe even from your lives and get a little perspective on things. The sad thing is that I know I am probably wasting my time, because the people who really need to hear and understand this, either won't care, or won't get it anyway. Oh well. Have fun, because I am done with this stuff. The pity party is back to being all yours.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
I'm sorry, but to me that sounds like you working hard to come up with an alibi for this team. If you see a player who looks like he isn't playing at 100%, you assume it must be some nagging injury. When I see so many Sox players with a lacadaisical effort, I see a team without fire, intensity or hunger. They got their championship and now they're satisfied. They had nagging injuries last year at this team (all teams do) and they still played with intensity. They willed themselves to win. This team isn't doing that at all.

So, the proof that they haven't quit is that they are showing up at the ballpark? That's enough for you? It's enough that they just show up and play? THAT isn't enough. That is the very, very least that they have to do. More importantly, they have to give 100%. They have to play all out, every day, particularly in the stretch run. Instead, I see half-hearted efforts.Putting off surgery is a very common thing. Players do it all the time. There are many surgeries that do not need to be done immediately and can easily be postponed until the end of the season. And you have no proof that Thome or anyone else is "risking major injury" by playing. Let's not wildly exaggerate the situation.All I want to see is effort. I want to see them giving all they have. And I haven't seen that. And a bunch of injury alibis aren't nearly enough. First, that extra "month" was 12 games. And 12 more games in a prior season when you had months off to rest and recuperate shouldn't account for so many more "nagging injuries" that you shouldn't be able to play hard in a stretch run.

I don't think anyone would argue that the team hasn't shown some lack of hustle and focus here and there. We see it every day when Paulie or Dye doesn't run out that grounder, or Uribe flubs an easy popup. And yeah, that frustrates me too.

But you have a stunningly simplistic view of professional sports. Pain effects people. It makes you less able to give your all. And having 1 less month off in the offseason absolutely has an effect on players' bodies - look how rarely teams repeat. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd wager that if you compared our record this year to other teams right after a WS win, we'd be better than most.

And remember how our pitching didn't get solid until mid-August? The offense carried the team until then. So yeah, there going to be a bit worn down at this point in the season.

I dislike the lack of hustle, and I do think some players were still in a daze from the WS. But injuries, and being worn down, and any number of other factors also came into play. Its not just a simple little matter of trying hard (as if they all don't want to or something), despite how it may seem in your very small view of the world.

Look if you all want to waste your time looking at this as "alibi's" and "excuses" you all can have fun. Keep wallowing in your miserable outlooks on all this stuff, and stay pissed off about it, that's fine. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter if you all "give the team a pass" or not. If you feel that things have to be justified to you, once again you completely missed the entire point of my original post. Sports isn't supposed to be a negative influence in your life. It isn't supposed to be something that upsets you to the point where it bothers you past when you turn the game off. You are supposed to get something positive out of it, or you are completely wasting your time.

With all due respect, that is silly. If you love a team and really care about them winning, then you are also going to really care about them losing. Is it possible for a fan to be really happy when a team wins but not be affected when the team loses? I wouldn't think so. That certainly isn't the case for me. When they win, I am elated. When they lose, I am crestfallen. Obviously, some wins and losses are bigger than others, but they all affect me. Do you think it is realistic for a fan's upset over a loss to stop as soon as he turns the game off?

You want something really worth getting upset about, there are pleny of social problems/people that could use a person's energy, as you are completely wasting yourself getting this angry at the Chicago White Sox, any player, or any game. Seriously, some of you need to step away from your computers, and maybe even from your lives and get a little perspective on things.

I'm sorry, but I really care about the White Sox. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been overjoyed when the Sox won the World Series. I don't consider being happy or sad about the Sox being "wasted energy". I don't see how anyone could. Frankly, I prefer it when fans really care.

But you have a stunningly simplistic view of professional sports. Pain effects people. It makes you less able to give your all. And having 1 less month off in the offseason absolutely has an effect on players' bodies - look how rarely teams repeat. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd wager that if you compared our record this year to other teams right after a WS win, we'd be better than most.

I understand that injuries and pain affect performance. However, I think some give it too much weight. The reality is that the Sox played only 12 more games than their competitors and had a month less to recuperate. I think it is easy for some here to overestimate the importance of that. Also, I'm not merely judging this team by what I see on the field as a lack of intensity. They also look much different in the dugout than they did last year. Last year, everyone was into every game. Most guys were on the top step of the dugout. This year, most everyone is sitting back, looking genuinely uninterested. I've seen more than a few yawns in the dugout. These guys just aren't into it like they were last year. It's easy to come up with excuses for this team. However, their lack of hustle, fire, intensity should not be excused.

QUOTE(alexgtp @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Plain and simple. no excuses.

the White Sox played horrible the 2nd half. And 2 teams in the central played better.

I still had a great time at the games this year..tailgating..screaming and yelling..it was an emotional rollercoaster.. Will I do it again. HELL YEAH!.. Nothing better than White Sox baseball for me! I live for this !!

Have for the past 28 yrs!! Hope too see many of you next year (maybe now all the bandwagoners will leave and will let me get my tiks alot cheaper and easier like back in day..LOL) And lets hope for some incredible moves by kenny in the offseason and an 07 Championship!

I couldn't agree with you more! We had a great time rooting for the Sox this season!

I won't say there aren't some things that disturb be greatly (the play last night where AJ lobs the ball back to the pitcher while they steal third). On the radio they are talking about how hard it is to repeat and have that same hunger once you win the championship. Let's hope the Sox regain that hunger while they watch the Tigers and Twins in the playoffs.

Like you I have been a Sox fan for a lot of years and am not about to quit on them now.

:gosox1:

I won't say there aren't some things that disturb be greatly (the play last night where AJ lobs the ball back to the pitcher while they steal third).

I'm sure AJ has some nagging shoulder injury which prevented him from throwing to third.

On the radio they are talking about how hard it is to repeat and have that same hunger once you win the championship. Let's hope the Sox regain that hunger while they watch the Tigers and Twins in the playoffs.

Exactly. They need something to light a fire under them this offseason. Hopefully some playoff success from an AL Central team will wake them up and get them over their long WS hangover.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
With all due respect, that is silly. If you love a team and really care about them winning, then you are also going to really care about them losing. Is it possible for a fan to be really happy when a team wins but not be affected when the team loses? I wouldn't think so. That certainly isn't the case for me. When they win, I am elated. When they lose, I am crestfallen. Obviously, some wins and losses are bigger than others, but they all affect me. Do you think it is realistic for a fan's upset over a loss to stop as soon as he turns the game off?

I'm sorry, but I really care about the White Sox. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been overjoyed when the Sox won the World Series. I don't consider being happy or sad about the Sox being "wasted energy". I don't see how anyone could. Frankly, I prefer it when fans really care.

We are never going to see eye to eye on this, mostly because I don't think you are to the point in your life where you think in terms of grey yet. Everything is black or white, horrible or awesome, and no real inbetweens, and that's fine. A part of life is discovering the world in the middle. Yes you can care about something without it bothering you if it doesn't turn out your way... its called priorities. Just because you don't kick your cat when Konerko grounds into a double play, doesn't mean you don't care. It means you realize that in the grand scheme of things, so what. For me the White Sox winning the world series was one of the greatest moments of my life, when they lose, even if it is in horrific fashion, oh well. Did I lose my baby, my wife, my job, my house, my friends, my life... no. Well then, what's worth getting mad about? I think if you look closely at who is reacting to things and how they are reacting, you'll see a pretty clear divide that the older the fans are, the less sleep that they are losing over this, and there is a pretty clear reason for that. The older you are, the more you understand perspective, and in the grand scheme of things, exactly how important the Sox not winning the division is. Now if you ask them if they enjoyed last year any less, they will all talk about how incredible it was. One of these days you will get that. I have been here for a while now, and I have seen lots of people on here change right before my eyes. Just about everyone who has come through here and stuck around for any considerable amount of time has undergone the samekind of growth. Even if none of this makes sense to you now, and from the sounds of your posts, it probably won't, one day it will.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
They also look much different in the dugout than they did last year. Last year, everyone was into every game. Most guys were on the top step of the dugout. This year, most everyone is sitting back, looking genuinely uninterested. I've seen more than a few yawns in the dugout. These guys just aren't into it like they were last year. It's easy to come up with excuses for this team. However, their lack of hustle, fire, intensity should not be excused.

You have a very selective memory. Contrary to your memories of the post-season, the team was not always everyone on the top step of the dugout, cheering on the team, during the regular season. That was, in fact, a rarity.

We are never going to see eye to eye on this, mostly because I don't think you are to the point in your life where you think in terms of grey yet. Everything is black or white, horrible or awesome, and no real inbetweens, and that's fine.

First, you don't know anything about what point in my life I'm at. You've read some posts of mine about the Chicago White Sox, and that's it. You think that I don't "think in terms of grey yet" because I think the Sox haven't been playing with fire or intensity this season? I think you are reaching...greatly.

A part of life is discovering the world in the middle. Yes you can care about something without it bothering you if it doesn't turn out your way... its called priorities. Just because you don't kick your cat when Konerko grounds into a double play, doesn't mean you don't care. It means you realize that in the grand scheme of things, so what.

FWIW, I don't kick my cat when Konerko DP's. And Sox losses don't ruin my life. I recognize the importance of sports. It is just entertainment, but I care nonetheless. Again, you can't experience highs with a team if you don't also feel the lows. They go hand in hand.

For me the White Sox winning the world series was one of the greatest moments of my life, when they lose, even if it is in horrific fashion, oh well.

That is exceptionally rare for human beings. How can one be overjoyed about wins and not care much about losses? You can be whatever kind of fan you want to be. But please don't pretend for a second that your odd outlook towards the Sox is the more evolved way to be.

Did I lose my baby, my wife, my job, my house, my friends, my life... no. Well then, what's worth getting mad about? I think if you look closely at who is reacting to things and how they are reacting, you'll see a pretty clear divide that the older the fans are, the less sleep that they are losing over this, and there is a pretty clear reason for that. The older you are, the more you understand perspective, and in the grand scheme of things, exactly how important the Sox not winning the division is. Now if you ask them if they enjoyed last year any less, they will all talk about how incredible it was. One of these days you will get that.

Congrats on the superiority and condescension. You do it well.

I have been here for a while now, and I have seen lots of people on here change right before my eyes. Just about everyone who has come through here and stuck around for any considerable amount of time has undergone the samekind of growth. Even if none of this makes sense to you know, and from the sounds of your posts, it probably won't, one day it will.

"When you grow up, you'll be a good, mature fan like me." You have a very high opinion of yourself.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
First, you don't know anything about what point in my life I'm at. You've read some posts of mine about the Chicago White Sox, and that's it. You think that I don't "think in terms of grey yet" because I think the Sox haven't been playing with fire or intensity this season? I think you are reaching...greatly.

FWIW, I don't kick my cat when Konerko DP's. And Sox losses don't ruin my life. I recognize the importance of sports. It is just entertainment, but I care nonetheless. Again, you can't experience highs with a team if you don't also feel the lows. They go hand in hand.

That is exceptionally rare for human beings. How can one be overjoyed about wins and not care much about losses? You can be whatever kind of fan you want to be. But please don't pretend for a second that your odd outlook towards the Sox is the more evolved way to be.

"When you grow up, you'll be a good, mature fan like me." You have a very high opinion of yourself.

Superiority Compex, Take 500. Thanks for playing.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)

Like I said, you don't understand... and that's fine, it doesn't make you any less of a fan or anything. It is what it is.