It's OVA!

retro1983hat

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
No, it isn't that I don't understand. I just disagree. And your condescension was way out of line. Just my opinion.

Funny, your anger has been out of line for months, but that's OK. And it is my OPINION, (I guess I you didn't understand that I was speaking from my perspective, thus making it my opinion and not a fact) that you have no idea what I am talking about, and that is why you are getting so angry about it. It has nothing to do with condsecension. If I thought you were that far below me, I wouldn't have wasted my time explaining myself in the first place. Growth and maturation are natural things and stages of life. There is nothing to be upset or ashamed of when you are somewhere else in life, like I said, it is what it is. Trust me, I am not claiming to know everything or be an expert on anything... but I know where I have been, and where I am at now. I know what I have seen, and I can recognized the patterns that I have seen many times before, and have no reason to believe I won't keep seeing into the future. The whole point is simple, ease up and relax. There is no point in being so bitter and angry over something that in the grand scheme of things means nothing. If you want to keep arguing and keep fighting that is fine, I can't stop you from it, but I am going to do you the favor of not returning the fire and anger anymore. Enjoy and good luck :cheers

Boy oh boy. I just opened this on page 7. It looks like I missed some good stuff on 1-6. Maybe I'll go back.

I have to agree with SS2K5,6 (whatever it is now). The "lows" don't get to me as much anymore. Does that mean I can't enjoy the highs? Hell no! The lows are easy to look over because there will be another day. Another season. Another team. This isn't a low like a family member dying, of which there is no "another." It's what it is - an unsuccessful season. We expected more, and rightly so. But, I'm not "sick to my stomach" as some have described themselves. It's not worth it to get myself upset and act like an ass around my friends, family and coworkers.

QUOTE(mreye @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Boy oh boy. I just opened this on page 7. It looks like I missed some good stuff on 1-6. Maybe I'll go back.

I have to agree with SS2K5,6 (whatever it is now). The "lows" don't get to me as much anymore. Does that mean I can't enjoy the highs? Hell no! The lows are easy to look over because there will be another day. Another season. Another team. This isn't a low like a family member dying, of which there is no "another." It's what it is - an unsuccessful season. We expected more, and rightly so. But, I'm not "sick to my stomach" as some have described themselves. It's not worth it to get myself upset and act like an ass around my friends, family and coworkers.

Act... :ph34r:

Funny, your anger has been out of line for months, but that's OK. And it is my OPINION, (I guess I you didn't understand that I was speaking from my perspective, thus making it my opinion and not a fact) that you have no idea what I am talking about, and that is why you are getting so angry about it.

There's no anger. I think any baseball arguments are fine. What I thought was out of line was you basically telling me that I have grown up enough and that you hope I'll become a more evolved fan like you. It was condescending in the extreme, period.

It has nothing to do with condsecension. If I thought you were that far below me, I wouldn't have wasted my time explaining myself in the first place. Growth and maturation are natural things and stages of life. There is nothing to be upset or ashamed of when you are somewhere else in life, like I said, it is what it is.

This is getting funny. In one breath you say that you aren't being condescending, and in the next you talk about growth and maturation and that I should be "ashamed when I am somewhere else in life." What you don't understand is that just because I disagree with you about the Sox and just because I feel differently about Sox losses than you do does not mean that you are a more evolved and mature person than I am.

There is no point in being so bitter and angry over something that in the grand scheme of things means nothing.

For the record, you have no idea if I am angry and/or bitter about this team. I am disappointed and frustrated with them, of course. But you seem to be implying or flat out stating that I am somehow so enraged about this team that I can't enjoy my life or something. The Sox aren't an obsession for me. Like 99% of fans, I'm upset when they lose and I'm disappointed with the team this season.

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
This is getting funny. In one breath you say that you aren't being condescending, and in the next you talk about growth and maturation and that I should be "ashamed when I am somewhere else in life." What you don't understand is that just because I disagree with you about the Sox and just because I feel differently about Sox losses than you do does not mean that you are a more evolved and mature person than I am.

OK I wasn't going to say anything, but if you are going to cut and past to take things out of context that is just wrong. Resorting to stuff like that is pretty crappy way of making your arguements.

There is nothing to be upset or ashamed of when you are somewhere else in life, like I said, it is what it is.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
Hmmm, and with a $200 million payroll you also have the ability to go out and buy new players every year too, which they did, repeatedly. (Hi Bobby Abreu!)

From 98-99 only 1 change in the 9 man lineup and it was the DH. In 2000 there were 2 changes from the previous season. (Source: baseball almanac. I went by the player who had the most starts at each position for that year.)

1998 Yankee starters:

C Jorge Posada

1B Tino Martinez

2B Chuck Knoblauch

3B Scott Brosius

SS Derek Jeter

LF Chad Curtis

CF Bernie Williams

RF Paul O'Neill

DH Darryl Strawberry

1999 Yankee starters:

C Jorge Posada

1B Tino Martinez

2B Chuck Knoblauch

3B Scott Brosius

SS Derek Jeter

LF Chad Curtis

CF Bernie Williams

RF Paul O'Neill

DH Chili Davis

2000 Yankee starters:

C Jorge Posada

1B Tino Martinez

2B Chuck Knoblauch

3B Scott Brosius

SS Derek Jeter

LF Ricky Ledee

CF Bernie Williams

RF Paul O'Neill

DH Shane Spencer

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
Apparently.. :unsure:

The reactions on here are hilarious. Did anyone actually think after watching this team perform the last several months that we would do anything in the playoffs even if we made it? This team is dead tired, and they look it. Lets rest, and make another run at it next year.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
It doesn't matter. They are highly paid athletes who are supposed to be above ALL of this. They aren't HUMAN, they are MACHINES! Get it right, Rock. Besides, every other team overcomes it, obviously

(Sometimes, green isn't needed).

Isn't Ozzie's constant playing of backups supposed to be so our team is the most fresh down the stretch? If that's not happening then why are our bench players playing so darn much? It's an 162 game season, everyone is going to be tired and banged up by the end of it. All the teams in the al that are going to make the playoffs had at least one big time injury this season, we did not, but our excuse is that we're banged up? Cmon now.

Edited by Rowand44

My whole point was, and continues to be, all you know it alls (and don't take offense, anyone... if the shoe fits, wear it, if not, don't) don't KNOW what's going on. There's a lot that could be the reason for our "collapse" of being 20 games over .500 when we should have won 115 games on paper.

I think the White Sox down fall this year started after being Swept by the Yankees around the all star break. They never recovered after that.

There is some internal problems with this team IMO, there is too much talent to just fall flat on there faces.

Ozzie might go one more year, if it happens again then:

:hawk:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
My whole point was, and continues to be, all you know it alls (and don't take offense, anyone... if the shoe fits, wear it, if not, don't) don't KNOW what's going on. There's a lot that could be the reason for our "collapse" of being 20 games over .500 when we should have won 115 games on paper.

Well then we should close the board down since we can't comment on anything. Afterall none of us know what's really going on.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Well then we should close the board down since we can't comment on anything. Afterall none of us know what's really going on.

Come on. You're smarter then that. It's one thing to discuss, and it's another to insinuate that you know more then you do.

Isn't Ozzie's constant playing of backups supposed to be so our team is the most fresh down the stretch? If that's not happening then why are our bench players playing so darn much? It's an 162 game season, everyone is going to be tired and banged up by the end of it. All the teams in the al that are going to make the playoffs had at least one big time injury this season, we did not, but our excuse is that we're banged up? Cmon now.

No, they are completely exhausted. 12 extra games just killed them. I'm surprised they had the strength to make it back to play baseball at all this year. And they're hurt. My god, they're barely alive. They have an EKG and a defibrillator in the dugout to keep those guys alive for the stretch run. AJ had to be zapped back to life a couple of times in the last homestand. I think they deserve a standing ovation for just managing to wake up every morning.

(Sometimes green isn't needed.)

Come on. You're smarter then that. It's one thing to discuss, and it's another to insinuate that you know more then you do.

Is anyone insinuating that the KNOW what is going on with this team. Really. I certainly don't have any inside information. I haven't even had any conversations with any of the players. I'm just making my best guess and giving my opinion based on what I've seen. Aren't we all just giving our opinions?

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
No, they are completely exhausted. 12 extra games just killed them. I'm surprised they had the strength to make it back to play baseball at all this year. And they're hurt. My god, they're barely alive. They have an EKG and a defibrillator in the dugout to keep those guys alive for the stretch run. AJ had to be zapped back to life a couple of times in the last homestand. I think they deserve a standing ovation for just managing to wake up every morning.

(Sometimes green isn't needed.)

You're not mad. Nah.

You're right, they all mailed it in. They suck. Screw them, they aren't worthy of watching or discussing anymore. Screw it. It's OVA!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Good post.

I can't support them like that because I don't live there. But they're my baseball team, win or lose. Some people in here sound like Bahston Bandwagon fans.

Same here. And I'm fed up with the "get rid of Ozzie... and Jose... and Buehrle" threads. How about giving these guys another chance next season? In case some of you've forgotten, they delivered us a championship less than a year ago. :oldrolleyes

This "rest" issue is beyond belief.

We act like playing baseball is running a marathon every day.

Beat up? Yes the team is injured.

But rest??

Our guys play station to station baseball.

Maybe our pitchers arms need rest.

I wish some of yu former pitchers would educate us on what pitchers do in the

offseason. Will they truly rest the arm??

Or do they throw?

This rest issue puzzles me.

I agree our team is HURT, banged up.

But tired? Playing baseball???? This aint running marathons.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
No intensity, no heart, etc.

So what do you call the Pierzynski home run against Cleveland, bailing out the bullpen the next night, that eight inning performance by Jose Contreras against Anaheim... These are just examples in the last couple of weeks.

I saw two of the greatest games I've ever seen in my life this year, one in Wrigley on a Pierzynski home run, and one in the Cell when the White Sox pulled off the valiant effort against my Red Sox.

This team has played with heart, with desire, with intensity? Thing's just didn't go there way. As Rock said, that's baseball. I know on MVP you'll see the White Sox win the World Series, but this isn't a video game. Sometimes people get hurt, sometimes people don't perform as you'd expect them to. Sometimes teams with the most talent on paper don't perform as you'd expect them to.

This team played with all of the things many people on here are mocking. Be reasonable and not laughable. You aren't going to win the World Series every year, lose that mindset, or stop watching the White Sox altogether, because seeing them win another championship in the next ten years would be a treat that many fans of teams won't be able to see.

You know, I'd love to buy this, but NYY has just won the AL East for what, the 9th straight year? Yeah, yeah their payroll is 3 billion dollars full of all world players, but they get there, somehow someway, and can never be accused of phoning in the season. I think any single person on this board would have been able to get over not making it through round one of the playoffs, but to be 9 up on the WC at the break and be down by 5.5 now, A 14.5 GAME SWING FOR F**K SAKE due to a sub .500 second half with this roster and payroll is waaaayyy beyond forigiveable. The recollection in the other thread of great moments of 06 are almost exclusively 1st half memories. There were just too many game threads in the second half where everyone here was commenting about the entire team's lack of intensity, hunger, and focus, we ALL saw the same thing, and it's not about people fighting injuries, it's about the missing serious high fives at the plate, it's about not seeing guys in the dugout going ballistic, it's about guys not laying down the bunt and running their ass off to first, it's about swinging at ball four, and it's about the manager sitting back way too stoic and accepting all of this, while at the same time heaping praise on the "pirhanas" they're trying to catch. I can say the endless hours I spend as an out of stater "watching" entire games night after night on a freaking computer screen with yellow dots on the bases in espn's scoreboard, waiting every night for the 20 second clip I can catch on sportscenter, the month's pay I dropped to fly in for GM 1 and 2 of the WS, and 60+ nights of actual nausea I've felt in watching them slowly fizzle since the ASB definitely qualify me as a die hard fan.

There's unrealistic expectations and then there's this. Boston at least lost a huge chunk of their roster to injury, the White Sox simply caved.........name one other team in baseball to have such a commanding position, with such colossal talent, and literally implode