Would you trade Crede??

whitesoxfan101

The reason I ask this question is pretty simple actually. Yes he appears to be blowing up this year finally, but the question is, has he finally figured it out, or is this just a career year. Not many guys suddenly figure it out for good at age 28 to be honest, plus he's going to finish with 30/100 and a .290 average and .520 slugging, along with spectacular defense. Now those are great numbers, but combine the price he costs which keeps going up, his prime age and peak trade value right now, the danger of this being a career year, his back, Scott Boras, and Josh Fields, and I wonder if maybe we should dump him now at peak value.

To be fair here, I can definitely see both sides to this debate, but if we are going to be making radical changes again, Crede is one of the few core guys I could see us dealing in theory, so I figured I'd bring up the topic.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record here, I am against radical change. I want Pods and Uribe gone for improvements, trade Freddy or Buehrle (or hell, both if you want) and get B Mac into that rotation, and get some bullpen help (maybe through said trades). However I just have a hunch with all the factors in play that we could trade Crede. Would I do it? Depends on what we get back, but I wouldn't just say no he's untouchable, not at all, I'm just too concerned about his back, Boras, and the career year factor at the plate (which I'm not saying this for sure is, but it has that smell to it).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
And the only people making "radical" changes are the armchair GM's of soxtalk.

This I disagree with. Kenny made borderline radical changes after a World Title, so you know he'll be busy this offseason. I just hope he doesn't go overboard, because I honestly think as much as the players and Ozzie have been awful, part of the problem has been bad luck this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
This I disagree with. Kenny made borderline radical changes after a World Title, so you know he'll be busy this offseason. I just hope he doesn't go overboard, because I honestly think as much as the players and Ozzie have been awful, part of the problem has been bad luck this year.

You would characterize changing 2 of 9 lineup positions, and 1 of 5 starting pitchers as borderline radical? I'd say otherwise. I think we will see similarly small changes this year. In fact, I'd say 2 of 9 in the lineup and 1 of 5 SP's will probably be just about right.

The thing that concerns me most is the injury. He's kept the back thing at bay so far, but how long will he be able to avoid serious DL time? Maybe it's just me, but it looks like his back has really been affecting his swing lately. Even with that accounted for, I wouldn't want to just hand the third base job to Fields. I'd have to be seriously overwhelmed to trade him. Something along the lines of Crede and Garcia for Peavy+ or something equally ridiculous including names like Brandon Wood, Jered Weaver, Matt Cain, Chad Billingsley, etc.

Nobody's untouchable, but the only way I'd let Joe go has been said, an insane package, back issues, or Boras issues.

By 'insane', a package involving Carl Crawford or a player of similar impact would be grounds for consideration.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Joe is one of the top 3B in the entire MLB, why would we get rid of something like that?

Because you can get some of the top guys in all of MLB at other positions...and save yourself like $8 million a year in the process, by trading him...if the right deal comes along.

No.

And the only people making "radical" changes are the armchair GM's of soxtalk.

Crede Stays. PERIOD

Because you can get some of the top guys in all of MLB at other positions...and save yourself like $8 million a year in the process, by trading him...if the right deal comes along.

you have to trade from a position of strength. that means starters and outfield guys.

Naturally, trading any player hinges on what you can get for that player.

I have always been a big Joe Crede fan. I wouldn't WANT to trade him but I would shop him.

Since we have Fields, if we get offered something great for him, I would do it.

I love Crede's defense and think it means a lot to a team and the guy can hit. This year was no fluke. But, he is very slow on the bases and doesn't walk at all or work the count (he is still young and might develop this).

I'd like to keep him but given the nature of the rest of the team - Konerko, A.J., Thome etc. - we need to move one of these in my opinion - Konerko or Crede.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
you have to trade from a position of strength. that means starters and outfield guys.

While 3rd base is not as strong as our starting staff, in that we have McCarthy, we also do have a guy at 3rd base who has already spent a year at AAA in Josh Fields. He's not going to give us near what Crede would give us, but Josh Fields + whatever we get for Crede could well be significantly better than Joe Crede + Fields in the minors.

I'm not talking about any of these guys as a salary dump. But these guys have a metric ton of trade value, and if KW gets the right offer, he has to be open to it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)

We have a bargain top player at a skill position, that is worth more than we would get for him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
While 3rd base is not as strong as our starting staff, in that we have McCarthy, we also do have a guy at 3rd base who has already spent a year at AAA in Josh Fields. He's not going to give us near what Crede would give us, but Josh Fields + whatever we get for Crede could well be significantly better than Joe Crede + Fields in the minors.

I'm not talking about any of these guys as a salary dump. But these guys have a metric ton of trade value, and if KW gets the right offer, he has to be open to it.

A better option is trading Fields, or converting him. Crede is better at that position than Josh will ever be, and better than most MLB 3B will be.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
We have a bargain top player at a skill position, that is worth more than we would get for him.

A better option is trading Fields, or converting him. Crede is better at that position than Josh will ever be, and better than most MLB 3B will be.

I agree that Crede is better at that position than Fields will ever be, but that's not entirely the issue that should determine whether a person is traded.

The question is...iif you compare a minimum $5 million or so for Crede next year, and $8 million or more the next year, combined with a potential for Crede to walk after 2008, to a $400k Josh Fields and whatever you could get for Crede, which one comes out as better for the team both in 2007 and long term?

I honestly don't have the answer to that unless I know what teams might offer for Crede. But if someone offered me enough for Crede, the Josh Fields option could have its advantages. That all depends of course on what someone is willing to offer. If the offers are Chone Figgins, I laugh and try to sign Crede for a few more years. If the offers are Brandon Wood or Matt Cain or something like that...my ears would perk up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)

I'd like to see us platoon Sweeney and Fields in LF, and do whatever we can to upgrade at SS, backup catcher, and get another few arms in the pen. I still stand by my prediction that we'll either sign Pierre or Lugo this offseason.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
I agree that Crede is better at that position than Fields will ever be, but that's not entirely the issue that should determine whether a person is traded.

The question is...iif you compare a minimum $5 million or so for Crede next year, and $8 million or more the next year, combined with a potential for Crede to walk after 2008, to a $400k Josh Fields and whatever you could get for Crede, which one comes out as better for the team both in 2007 and long term?

I honestly don't have the answer to that unless I know what teams might offer for Crede. But if someone offered me enough for Crede, the Josh Fields option could have its advantages. That all depends of course on what someone is willing to offer. If the offers are Chone Figgins, I laugh and try to sign Crede for a few more years. If the offers are Brandon Wood or Matt Cain or something like that...my ears would perk up.

Man, I think you are underrating Crede a ton here. You are talking about the best defensive 3B probably in the game, if not top 3 in the MLB. On top of that, you now have a 30-100 3B who plays GG defense. Crede is now a premier 3B. Just look at how good he is on offense now.

#4 in Hr's behind Glaus, Aramis, and A-rod. In SLG% he is only behind such franchise players as C Jones, D Wright, M Cabrera, S Rolen. Look at the company he is keeping offensively!!! He is slugging better than A-rod for god sakes. Another stat that is impressive is that Crede has only struck out 56 times this year. The only thing he really needs to work on is his OBP and walks. Which can come with another stellar year.

Now with all those 3B I mentioned that are elite offensively. Which ones would you say are better defensively than Crede? He is a player that we need to keep close and sign to an extension, not shop for a potential player, or a National League pitcher who would watch his ERA climb over 4 or 5. He is a keeper, and thats that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I'd like to see us platoon Sweeney and Fields in LF, and do whatever we can to upgrade at SS, backup catcher, and get another few arms in the pen. I still stand by my prediction that we'll either sign Pierre or Lugo this offseason.

Lugo would work out because I do not think we have a lead off man otherwise. Although I still think, and this is gonna hurt a little, that Ross Gload could be a potential lead off candidate. If we get Lugo, then I wouldnt mind Sweeney and Fields in LF.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
Man, I think you are underrating Crede a ton here. You are talking about the best defensive 3B probably in the game, if not top 3 in the MLB. On top of that, you now have a 30-100 3B who plays GG defense. Crede is now a premier 3B. Just look at how good he is on offense now.

#4 in Hr's behind Glaus, Aramis, and A-rod. In SLG% he is only behind such franchise players as C Jones, D Wright, M Cabrera, S Rolen. Look at the company he is keeping offensively!!! He is slugging better than A-rod for god sakes. Another stat that is impressive is that Crede has only struck out 56 times this year. The only thing he really needs to work on is his OBP and walks. Which can come with another stellar year.

Now with all those 3B I mentioned that are elite offensively. Which ones would you say are better defensively than Crede? He is a player that we need to keep close and sign to an extension, not shop for a potential player, or a National League pitcher who would watch his ERA climb over 4 or 5. He is a keeper, and thats that.

Lugo would work out because I do not think we have a lead off man otherwise. Although I still think, and this is gonna hurt a little, that Ross Gload could be a potential lead off candidate. If we get Lugo, then I wouldnt mind Sweeney and Fields in LF.

On Crede: There is one major variable, his back. Every game he's seen clutching his back and it seems he goes down for 3 games every other week because of a flare up. This really appears to be a serious problem, maybe it can be fixed through surgery or therapy but this is going to be a huge decision for KW and company if they think his back is going to become a serious problem and could hamper him in the future they should most definitely look into moving him now and picking up big time talent for him in return. The guy is 28 years old and has major health worries I'm not sure that's the kind of guy you just want to throw a longterm contract extension at when it's not entirely necessary to do so at this time.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
On Crede: There is one major variable, his back. Every game he's seen clutching his back and it seems he goes down for 3 games every other week because of a flare up. This really appears to be a serious problem, maybe it can be fixed through surgery or therapy but this is going to be a huge decision for KW and company if they think his back is going to become a serious problem and could hamper him in the future they should most definitely look into moving him now and picking up big time talent for him in return. The guy is 28 years old and has major health worries I'm not sure that's the kind of guy you just want to throw a longterm contract extension at when it's not entirely necessary to do so at this time.

He is having minor back surgery in the offseason, it is supposed to alleviate the issue.