Would you trade Crede??

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
And then move Crede to SS and see if he can win a GG there.

I am wondering if that is something to seriously consider. Since he obviously has the reflexes and the arm for it... do we think he has the range? You could then consider Fields, who has a little speed, at 3B.

I just worry about Fields' defense - anyone know if that has improved this year?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
I am wondering if that is something to seriously consider. Since he obviously has the reflexes and the arm for it... do we think he has the range? You could then consider Fields, who has a little speed, at 3B.

I just worry about Fields' defense - anyone know if that has improved this year?

Crede's initial position was SS i believe.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Ok, so would you prefer a Lexus and a Ford Pinto, or a pair of new Toyotas?

Besides... a Lexus is basically a Toyota anyway, with some added refinements and accoutrements. Same frames, engines, made at the same facilities, etc. Just a little more bling.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
WHY ARENT YOU PEOPLE SCARED ABOUT HIS BACK!!!!!?

I was worried about his back coming in to 2006. He is going to wind up at .280/30/100 that season, with defense that would have won him a gold glove had he played in Boston or NY. I'm confident enough now that they will be able to deal with that.

Based on what I know of the situation, I'd say there is absolutely a solid chance that Crede will be moved following this season. Here are the reasons:

1) The uncertainty of his contract situation going forward and his agent could present big problems for the Sox. Crede has publicly voiced his desire to stay with the Sox, but at what point will Boras finally get the upper hand and get him to go for the biggest deal possible? My logic tells me eventually he will demand a huge deal.

2) Will his value ever be higher? I'd say probably not. He's posted career numbers this year, is still relatively young and would probably bring back solid MLB ready talent in any deal.

3) His back problems. Up to this point, he's been able to manage this situation and perform at a high level. There's always a chance that he could injure himself to an extent that he won't be the same player ever again.

As much as I would like to see Crede remain with the Sox, I think there are possible scenarios in which the Sox would look at dealing him, especially if they do indeed want to keep Fields at 3B and feel he is ready for next season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
I hope everyone who is in favor of dealing Crede is aware of the significant drop off in defensive and offensive ability that Fields would bring to this team.

Yes, I am fully aware of that. Which is why I am only in favor of dealing Crede if the offer is the correct one...such that the drop-off between Crede and Fields is more than made made up for by the addition of whoever we get from Crede and the money saved by switching from Crede to Fields.

OK, I'm going to throw an idea out here, and see what people think. I have a feeling it won't be pretty, but here goes...

Crede plays SS

Ozuna plays 3B

Sweeney and/or Fields in LF

That frees up Uribe and Pods for trade bait, and decreases the salary total for the team, gives us a leadoff hitter at 3B with speed and good contact, Fields/Sweeney get a chance at the big time. Let those 2 compete in spring training for LF. The one who loses gets 1 more year in AAA, then takes over Dye's slot in RF.

Plus Crede and Ozuna can play each other's positions.

:huh

EDIT: If we use Uribe and/or Pods and/or Garcia for a SS who can lead off, then Ozuna can go back to the bench, and Crede back to 3B.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
OK, I'm going to throw an idea out here, and see what people think. I have a feeling it won't be pretty, but here goes...

Crede plays SS

Ozuna plays 3B

Sweeney and/or Fields in LF

That frees up Uribe and Pods for trade bait, and decreases the salary total for the team, gives us a leadoff hitter at 3B with speed and good contact, Fields/Sweeney get a chance at the big time. Let those 2 compete in spring training for LF. The one who loses gets 1 more year in AAA, then takes over Dye's slot in RF.

Plus Crede and Ozuna can play each other's positions.

:huh

EDIT: If we use Uribe and/or Pods and/or Garcia for a SS who can lead off, then Ozuna can go back to the bench, and Crede back to 3B.

Yuck.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
1) The uncertainty of his contract situation going forward and his agent could present big problems for the Sox. Crede has publicly voiced his desire to stay with the Sox, but at what point will Boras finally get the upper hand and get him to go for the biggest deal possible? My logic tells me eventually he will demand a huge deal.

A Crede quote from late August. I know it's from the Trib, but I know for a fact I couldn't find the exact article it came out of...

'Whatever they want to do,'' Crede said. ''They haven't approached me or said anything that would make me think otherwise. Until they do, then my thinking on the whole thing might change, but as of now, I just assume they keep going year-to-year. ''That's fine with me. It would be nice to have a long-term deal, but there's also 29 other teams out there

He's not dumping Boras

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Yes, I am fully aware of that. Which is why I am only in favor of dealing Crede if the offer is the correct one...such that the drop-off between Crede and Fields is more than made made up for by the addition of whoever we get from Crede and the money saved by switching from Crede to Fields.

I still do not think you understand. No matter how much money we save, there will be a sizeable hole defensively at 3B. All of those easy plays and hard plays that Crede makes with regularity will not be so with a rookie. Also he could very well put up Brian Anderson type numbers for much of the season. Thats alot to think about.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
I still do not think you understand. No matter how much money we save, there will be a sizeable hole defensively at 3B. All of those easy plays and hard plays that Crede makes with regularity will not be so with a rookie. Also he could very well put up Brian Anderson type numbers for much of the season. Thats alot to think about.

I'm not denying any of that. I'm just saying you have to weigh those potential negatives against the potential positives as well. Let's say we get a stud young pitcher for Crede. This allows us to deal another starter, thus saving us $10 million+ next year. We go out and use that money on Soriano. Suddenly we have Fields at 3rd struggling, but we have another young pitcher in our rotation, more talent in our farm system, and Soriano shooting for 50/40 in our outfield, while Fields works at 3rd on adapting to the big leagues.

There are a few dozen other examples I could come up with. That's just one. But I think it illustrates the point...you have to consider both the negatives and the positives of any proposed deal.

I'm not in favor of dumping Crede just to dump. But if the right situation comes along, I wouldn't oppose it. But again, it has to be the right deal.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
I hope everyone who is in favor of dealing Crede is aware of the significant drop off in defensive and offensive ability that Fields would bring to this team.

Who says Crede is gonna hit .300/30/100 next year? For all we know he could go back to hitting .250 again. If Crede brings us pitching, i'm all for dealing him.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
Who says Crede is gonna hit .300/30/100 next year? For all we know he could go back to hitting .250 again. If Crede brings us pitching, i'm all for dealing him.

if he went back to hitting .250 he would still be better than Fields, thats all im saying.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
if he went back to hitting .250 he would still be better than Fields, thats all im saying.

But all I'm saying is...if Crede went back to hitting .250, and he was doing it for another team...we'd have acquired whatever we could get for the .300/30/100 Crede. If we get something worth the $$.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
But all I'm saying is...if Crede went back to hitting .250, and he was doing it for another team...we'd have acquired whatever we could get for the .300/30/100 Crede. If we get something worth the $$.

that is the classic selling high theory. Of course some of the people who sold off Google stock too early would tell you that you are crazy.

Basically you have one of the elite players at a position playing for under what he is worth. That is a bargain, and we have other trading chips that make more sense to move.

I guess a lot would depend on the return. Personally...I'd HATE to see Joe go. But what if he and Freddy could net you say ARod since he's like the bastard stepchild in NY anymore. I think KW is gonna shoot big this off-season. I'd love to see names in the mix for coming here are: Bedard, Schmidt, ARod or Tejada. Pipedreams I know...but I think ARod and Tejada would be very getable...especially if ARod has a crap postseason again.