Would you trade Crede??

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
On Lugo: No thanks, he's going to pick up a contract this offseason that he is not deserving of, he'd be an ok leadoff man but he'd also play atrocious defense.

Lugo has also been inconsistent this season on almost a Podsednik level.

In 39 games with the Dogers this season, this is the line he's put up: .225 .291 .275, 0 hr, 5/9 SB. That puts him at 23/32 on the season in stolen bases, which isn't very good either.

Here is his batting average/OPS by month this season:

.245/.621

.349/1.043

.313/.899

.235/.615

.205/.456.

(He had 2 at bats in April, so I left that month off.) Yes, he had 2 dynamite months, but he sandwiched those in-between 2 months that were pretty darn bad, and is finishing off with a month worse than Podsednik.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Jimmy Rollins should be KW's main target...Josh Fields could be a great chip to use to get him, as the Phillies really like him.

If he could pull that off, it would improve the team imensely. As lead off hitter, he is pretty decent, his OBP wil drive some people on here crazy but he will create a ton of runs and play good D.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I think we have to seriously look at trading Joe. It's all about selling high, and Fields could step into his role next year. It would be great if we could get some young pitching for him. Remember, a year and a half ago Crede was a whipping boy for Sox fans.

Fields is a good prospect, but he isnt where Joe is offensively, and not even on the same field defensively.

I've heard numerous reports that Ichiro wants out of Seattle, and wants to go somewhere where he can be competitive. I don't know how credible these reports are. I know I may need a reality check, but if we upgrade from Podsednik to Ichiro.....I would be overwhelmed with joy.

PS Isn't Julio Lugo a free agent?

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
I've heard numerous reports that Ichiro wants out of Seattle, and wants to go somewhere where he can be competitive. I don't know how credible these reports are. I know I may need a reality check, but if we upgrade from Podsednik to Ichiro.....I would be overwhelmed with joy.

Dont tease me dude. If we could grab ichiro, it would automatically make not only our defense better, but our offense would be dangeous.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)

Yes. He's reportedly asked for something in the $12m a year range, or ridiculous numbers like that. He's going to work for all the $$ he can get.

So, back on the Crede issue, here's a hypothetical for the people saying we shouldn't trade Crede at any cost.

Anaheim is in desperate need of a bat at either 3rd or 1st base or somewhere like that. They reportedly offered up Ervin Santana for Miguel Tejada earlier this year.

Furthermore, every time the Angels have asked the D-Rays about Crawford, the D-Rays have said it'll cost E. Santana plus some more.

So, here's a hypothetical for you. Crede goes to the Angels for E. Santana. E. Santana is spun off to the D-Rays for Carl Crawford along with some mid-level prospect. Podsednik is thrown on the trash heap in one of those 2 deals or somewhere else along the line.

Would you tolerate Josh Fields at 3rd base next year if it meant Carl Crawford was your leadoff hitter and Left Fielder?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Yes. He's reportedly asked for something in the $12m a year range, or ridiculous numbers like that. He's going to work for all the $$ he can get.

So, back on the Crede issue, here's a hypothetical for the people saying we shouldn't trade Crede at any cost.

Anaheim is in desperate need of a bat at either 3rd or 1st base or somewhere like that. They reportedly offered up Ervin Santana for Miguel Tejada earlier this year.

Furthermore, every time the Angels have asked the D-Rays about Crawford, the D-Rays have said it'll cost E. Santana plus some more.

So, here's a hypothetical for you. Crede goes to the Angels for E. Santana. E. Santana is spun off to the D-Rays for Carl Crawford along with some mid-level prospect. Podsednik is thrown on the trash heap in one of those 2 deals or somewhere else along the line.

Would you tolerate Josh Fields at 3rd base next year if it meant Carl Crawford was your leadoff hitter and Left Fielder?

That is a serious hypothetical situation. I think that every one takes Crede's defense for granted because it has been there for so long. The guy saves 1 or 2 hits almost every game. Crawford would make our lineup ridiculous not only for his speed, but his defense, arm, and OBP. However, would you say Crawford is one of the top players in his position (OF) in the game? I dont know if you could put him in that category. You could put Crede in that category, which makes him a little more valuable IMO. Also, I still thin kFields needs to be eased into the majors, he is not ready to just be placed into a starting role, especially at the hot corner.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
The Sox are in the drivers seat. If you are going to move Joe, you get a franchise player back, no question.

Which is of course, all I'm saying. We're not coming off a world series, and we're looking at a good chunk of our team being free agents within 2 years. We don't have to be desperate and we're not forced to deal anyone except Buehrle if we can't extend him, IMO. We need to trade 1 starting pitcher. But aside from that, all I'm saying is that we should be open to any opportunity we can find.

No, Josh Fields is not going to be the best 3rd baseman in the league. Yes, Joe Crede is either the best or the 2nd best depending on who's healthy. But having the best player at 1 position does not always guarantee you success. If any player on this team can be moved for the right price, it's probably worth doing...it's just a question of what you hold the right price to be.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Because you can get some of the top guys in all of MLB at other positions...and save yourself like $8 million a year in the process, by trading him...if the right deal comes along.

Not really. If you're getting a top guy back at another position, you just open up another hole, you lessen your defense at a very important position, and if that guy is good enough to warrant Crede in the trade, he's probably going to cost at least $8 million a year as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
That is a serious hypothetical situation. I think that every one takes Crede's defense for granted because it has been there for so long. The guy saves 1 or 2 hits almost every game. Crawford would make our lineup ridiculous not only for his speed, but his defense, arm, and OBP. However, would you say Crawford is one of the top players in his position (OF) in the game? I dont know if you could put him in that category. You could put Crede in that category, which makes him a little more valuable IMO. Also, I still thin kFields needs to be eased into the majors, he is not ready to just be placed into a starting role, especially at the hot corner.

Exactly. Crawford is really nice offensively, but he's not going to save as many runs or hits on defense as Crede would. Again, it's also easier to find an OF than a great 3B. Not a good 3B, a great one.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Getting Ichiro would be fantastic but I doubt it'd happen so I'm not even going to think about it.

Kenny asked Seattle last off-season about Ichiro, who wasn't happy and wanted to play for a win-now team.

At the time, they said they had no interest in trading their most popular player. I doubt they have changed their tune.

It would be fantastic with him and his countryman Iguchi going one-two, though.

Would I trade Joe. No, unless you were wowed by an offer.

And that would have been to be a stud position prospect like a Brandon Wood and a young stud SP, and I doubt we would get an offer like that unless a team like the Angels were desperate if they couldn't get a big bat in the off-season like Tejada or Ramirez.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
Would I trade Joe. No, unless you were wowed by an offer.

And that would have been to be a stud position prospect like a Brandon Wood and a young stud SP, and I doubt we would get an offer like that unless a team like the Angels were desperate if they couldn't get a big bat in the off-season like Tejada or Ramirez.

If you are the Angels, do you want Tejada or Crede on your team?

One's entering the prime of his career, the other has been surrounded by all kinds of controversy in the past. One's a gold glove contender at 3B, and the other hasn't played a game at 3B in his career. One is going to make probably $5 mill next year, while the other is going to make $12 mill next year, $13 mill in 08, and $13 mill in 09. One's had 1 good all around season in the majors, while the other has had 7 good years in a row. Both look to be pretty safe bets.

If I were Stoneman, and I couldn't sign Aramis, I know who I'd be after.

Keep Crede. I was for signing him long term before the season b/c I expected him to put up the kind of numbers he put up this year (though even I wouldn't have predicted he'd go this high).

But now that you've missed a chance to get him at a relative bargain, I still wouldn't let him go. He's a huge reason for our increase in runs scored, but he also plays defense better than any of our other offensive stars -- by a long shot. Plus, he's a clutch hitter. Those guys are worth the money invested in them. I don't think I'd take any other 3B in baseball ahead of him at the moment.

Fix the spots in the lineup that are holes. Don't "fix" the parts that aren't broken (i.e. Dye, Konerko, Thome, AJ.)