Bush's comments at UN speech

samclemens

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
Seriously, yes, I see your point, but I guess my thing is - if someone would have come to the UN and delivered a speech like this in 1979, REPUBLICANS would have been pissed and come to the support of Carter.

It's kind of like dissing a family member - you might not totally get along with them, but you'd support them through it all. Fast forward 25+ years, and no one is really condemning it, and I think it's a rather sad testament to our times. That was more my point.

Okay, I do understand what you're saying.

But I view Chavez and the Iranian president as crazies. If Merkel or Chirac or Harper called Bush the devil I would be more upset because, at some level, I have a respect for them and their points of view. But having Chavez do it, well that's sort of like getting made at the hobo on the corner who calls you a slut whenever you walk by. You may want to tell him off, but then you think about the source and, oh, right, crazy pants, so you walk on.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)

But I view Chavez and the Iranian president as crazies. If Merkel or Chirac or Harper called Bush the devil I would be more upset because, at some level, I have a respect for them and their points of view. But having Chavez do it, well that's sort of like getting made at the hobo on the corner who calls you a slut whenever you walk by. You may want to tell him off, but then you think about the source and, oh, right, crazy pants, so you walk on.

Boy does it sound like there is a story there :P

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)

True. That's a funny analogy. :lol:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 08:13 AM)
Iran has been asking the U.S. repeatedly for direct talks for years. The U.S. has said they will only talk to Iran on the condition that Iran stops its uranium enrichment program in its entirety.

Which is the right answer. Anything less would be giving in to them.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
They started in the 60's and 70's and haven't quit since then. The one constant since the Revolution in '79 has been the clerics, and they sure haven't stopped the search for nuclear materials.

There wasn't much resource or ability to really work on nuclear weaponry throughout the 1980s. They were kind of busy fighting our man in Baghdad at the time.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
That's not what I'm referring to. Financial resources for Iran were pretty strapped throughout a big part of the 1980s. They had few friends and little werewithal to work on the technology. In the 1980s, there wasn't a lot of interest in helping Iran go nuclear.

Iran/Iraq was just another proxy war between the Soviets and ourselves. We propped up Hussein and the Soviets propped up Iran. Last thing the Soviets wanted, however, was another crazy Muslim nation on their border with nukes, which is why I can't understand their intransigence about imposing sanctions on Iran today.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
That's not what I'm referring to. Financial resources for Iran were pretty strapped throughout a big part of the 1980s. They had few friends and little werewithal to work on the technology. In the 1980s, there wasn't a lot of interest in helping Iran go nuclear.

Their big problem was that Iraq was bombing their facilities and setting them back 20-30 years. It wasn't that they weren't trying, it was that they were forced to start over. Granted no one really wanted to help them during their war with Iraq, but that still didn't change the fact that they were trying to go nuclear, if at that time for no other reason than to proabably drop it on Iraq.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 07:56 AM)
Their big problem was that Iraq was bombing their facilities and setting them back 20-30 years. It wasn't that they weren't trying, it was that they were forced to start over. Granted no one really wanted to help them during their war with Iraq, but that still didn't change the fact that they were trying to go nuclear, if at that time for no other reason than to proabably drop it on Iraq.

Iraq was trying to develop nukes as well but Isreal stopped em cold before they got too far along. Eventually, I think its going to come down to us having to bomb Iran's sites. I don't see that whack job Ahmeneawhosits backing down through diplomacy.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 06:47 AM)
Iran/Iraq was just another proxy war between the Soviets and ourselves. We propped up Hussein and the Soviets propped up Iran. Last thing the Soviets wanted, however, was another crazy Muslim nation on their border with nukes, which is why I can't understand their intransigence about imposing sanctions on Iran today.

It's actually pretty simple...who do you think the country is that's selling so much of this nuclear technology to Iran?