And That's a White Sox Winner!!!

DBAHO

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Maybe it should give u hope that Freddy will be better than he ever was before. Losing his velocity could be a blessing in disguise. It takes a talented pitcher to be able to master the split finger in a relatively short period of time. He's given up 2 hits in 16 innings. He's reinvented himself. Thats impressive , very very impressive.

That or the league hasn't figured him out yet, wait till there is enough tape on him.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Maybe it should give u hope that Freddy will be better than he ever was before. Losing his velocity could be a blessing in disguise. It takes a talented pitcher to be able to master the split finger in a relatively short period of time. He's given up 2 hits in 16 innings. He's reinvented himself. Thats impressive , very very impressive.

Seeing what he has done at the end of this year makes me want to keep him. He lost his velocity and learned how to pitch. I keep thinking of what he will be able to do with his velocity back and knowing how to pitch, and I like it.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Seeing what he has done at the end of this year makes me want to keep him. He lost his velocity and learned how to pitch. I keep thinking of what he will be able to do with his velocity back and knowing how to pitch, and I like it.

To me, it's all dependent on him regaining his velocity. If he really can get it back, I hate to say it, but I'd keep him around with his control and new splitter.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
To me, it's all dependent on him regaining his velocity. If he really can get it back, I hate to say it, but I'd keep him around with his control and new splitter.

I agree, but how long does his arm need to rest, then strengthen up again before you find out if he can get his velocity back?

Edited by vandy125

I hate to invite abuse here but here goes: I'm not that down on Freddy. Sure he had a crappy first half but...

I think he's just tired. I think a lot of them are.

I'm not that eager to push him out the door. And (inviting more abuse here) I'm not that sold on McCarthy as our silver bullet. He's unproven at best.

Here goes (inviting TOTAL abuse): I would leave the starters intact for next year. The only one that worries me is Buehrle because the fall-off from last year is so drastic. But I also think he's tired/injured too.

Well, one of Contreras/Buehrle/Garcia/Garland/Vazquez/McCarthy has to go. Which one is up to KW, and I'll trust him to make the right choice. I wonder what he'll even try to get in return for any of them.

And hey, maybe this win was that magical "fuse" we needed to light. Let's just hope it's not another dud, and that Oz E. Coyote doesn't try to play around with it too much and have it blow up in his face.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Well, one of Contreras/Buehrle/Garcia/Garland/Vazquez/McCarthy has to go. Which one is up to KW, and I'll trust him to make the right choice. I wonder what he'll even try to get in return for any of them.

And hey, maybe this win was that magical "fuse" we needed to light. Let's just hope it's not another dud, and that Oz E. Coyote doesn't try to play around with it too much and have it blow up in his face.

The more things progress, the more I'm not so sure McCarthy will be on this team next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
The more things progress, the more I'm not so sure McCarthy will be on this team next season.

I don't even care anymore. They can trade any one of them they'd like to, because none of them have earned being untouchable.

I know we all love McCarthy, but you're not making yourself a fixture on the team when you're throwing up a 4.95 ERA. I still think he'll eventually be better than a couple of our current starters, but they can trade him if they want to because he hasn't pulled his weight (which shouldn't be too hard considering he weighs 110 pounds).

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
I hate to invite abuse here but here goes: I'm not that down on Freddy. Sure he had a crappy first half but...

I think he's just tired. I think a lot of them are.

I'm not that eager to push him out the door. And (inviting more abuse here) I'm not that sold on McCarthy as our silver bullet. He's unproven at best.

Here goes (inviting TOTAL abuse): I would leave the starters intact for next year. The only one that worries me is Buehrle because the fall-off from last year is so drastic. But I also think he's tired/injured too.

Garcia did not have a crappy first half he had a crappy April, June, July and horrid August. Perhaps I just don't understand why a pitcher would suck for 5/6 of the season then when the season is all but over decide to add a new pitch, something that is appearantly helping him pitch with better success. Why the hell did he wait 5 and a half months to add a new pitch? I don't understand why he's getting so much credit for this when he should have been experimenting with new pitches earlier in the season when he was pitching like s*** and the games actually meant something. Appearantly Freddy Garcia is smarter than I give him credit for, he's managed to pitch like s*** for more than half the season then turn it on when it means nothing, saving his job next year. If he pitches like this in June and pitched now like he did in June the guy would have a one way ticket out of town.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
Garcia did not have a crappy first half he had a crappy April, June, July and horrid August. Perhaps I just don't understand why a pitcher would suck for 5/6 of the season then when the season is all but over decide to add a new pitch, something that is appearantly helping him pitch with better success. Why the hell did he wait 5 and a half months to add a new pitch? I don't understand why he's getting so much credit for this when he should have been experimenting with new pitches earlier in the season when he was pitching like s*** and the games actually meant something. Appearantly Freddy Garcia is smarter than I give him credit for, he's managed to pitch like s*** for more than half the season then turn it on when it means nothing, saving his job next year. If he pitches like this in June and pitched now like he did in June the guy would have a one way ticket out of town.

My bet is once he realized how tired his arm was from all of the innings he knew the velocity wasn't returning, he decided to change and learn a new pitch. He did not learn to control that pitch overnight. Pitchers just don't do that . He's been working on it on the side and waited until he felt comfortable with it. What bearing does this have on next year :huh .

My vote is to trade which ever one brings the most in return. If it's fairly equal Vazquez goes.

Add Freddy to the walking wounded list... just like many suspected.

"I feel right now the best I [have felt] all year long," Garcia said. "I was kind of struggling all year, my arm wasn't feeling good. My last three, four, five starts, right now late in the season, that's when I need it."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Bingo. Injury. I remember my co-worker being amazed at the velocity loss and insisting that he's injured, but not telling.

Again, I'm not down on any of the starters because I think there's a lot more than we know going on. I say keep 'em.

Shoot, deal BMac and get a freakin leadoff hitter/speedster. We have enough power. I think with rest we have the best starting pitchers in baseball.

Let's not forget people we have FIVE starters. FIVE. Do you know how many teams would give their right arm (no pun intended) for that? I really think it's rash to tank the whole system because we didn't repeat.

The way this year went, it was just one of those years. Nobody thought Detroit would do what they did. It was supposed to be us and Cleveland, remember?

But as the Hawkeroo has said many times, all the breaks we got last year did not fall our way this year. So it goes.

Now, if next season were to be miserable, then I'd worry.

But I am serious: KEEP THE FIVE ALIVE.

QUOTE(sweatpants @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
Not a Freddy fan, but he seems to be gaining it back. Anyone else notice he hit 93 quite a few times. I think that's the highest all year.

Freddy's hit 93 in basically every game this season but it is only like once to three times a game, he's still sitting in the mid to upper 90's which is all that really matters seeing how he's been able to pop in the 90's for a few pitches a game all year.