The Fate of the "Spark Plug" Pablo Ozuna..

BurlyMan56

Well, I giving some thought to this- we can probably get something decent for Pabs. It's obvious that the organization has a man crush on Rob Mackowiak for reasons I'm not really sure about (Oak Lawn product?). Yes, I know Pods will be gone with a Sweeney or a Fields in Left. Next year, I believe Mackowiak should go to his usual middle infield spot starts (2nd,3rd) and the occasionaly corner outfield spots. With that said, where would Pabs play? Is it necessary to have three infielders on the bench (Mack, Cintron, and then Pabs)? Also give Ross a chance to play somewhere (TB, KC, wherever) the guy can flat out hit when given a chance. Jim and Paulie here for the next few years- let the guy play. Gimme your thoughts if you think Pabs will be gone. :angry:

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
Yeah I'm not in a hurry to get rid of Pablo. I like his hustle.

I like Mack's hustle too, but in the outfield he is painful.

Pablo/Mack? I'd get rid of Mack.

Perfect world: I'm not dying to get rid of either.

That makes sense to me too. Maybe one will go, but I am not really in favor of losing either, if they play in the role they were originally pegged for

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
That makes sense to me too. Maybe one will go, but I am not really in favor of losing either, if they play in the role they were originally pegged for

Unfortunately, Ozzie seems to have no intention of using Mack in the role he was originally pegged for. None at all. Which is why I'm to the point where I want Mack traded this offseason...just so Ozzie can never, ever, ever play him in CF again.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Unfortunately, Ozzie seems to have no intention of using Mack in the role he was originally pegged for. None at all. Which is why I'm to the point where I want Mack traded this offseason...just so Ozzie can never, ever, ever play him in CF again.

I've said before, one of Williams' goal this upcoming offseason should be to 'Guillen-proof' his lineup. Remove -- to the best of his abilities -- players which Guillen may misuse.

Ozuna is expendable. Fields can take his place. May not provide comparable speed, but his power potential exceeds that of Ozuna. Could he honestly be worse defensively? Guess we'll have to find out from winterball.

You trade/release Podsednik, release Ozuna, and it practically forces Guillen to properly use Mackowiak in LF. If Fields and Sweeney remain our backup outfields, atleast there exists players capable of providing production. I'd rather have either of them then protypical grinders such as Ozuna or Timo Perez.

I know it's a dangerous game playing along this sort of reasoning, but I wouldn't expect a monumental dropoff in our clubs overall offensive production next season. I'm confident a Mackowiak/Fields platoon could provide more than Podsednik did this season. Anderson will likely improve. Whomever replaces Uribe (another player whom should depart) can't possibly be worse. It should be fairly even if you figure Dye/Crede/Konerko may regress. Our offense will ultimately be just as good, but without needless GRINDERS.

It may sound strange assembling a team around your managers wishes, but to any close observer of Guillen these last few seasons, his odd fascinations with players costs us games. We wouldn't be suffering much but an absence of Latin flavor within our clubhouse.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Pabs value to this team: Pretty high.

agreed, but it's just that someone with questionable defense at all his positions..... that's a backup IF, even if he's near the best in the league, it's still what he is.

and thus worth little. i dunno unless some team desperately needs a 2B and wants to do something stupid.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
I hope they can find room for him. Ozuna is the exact "grinder" type that Kenny Williams supposedly likes ......someone that hustles and gives 100%

I honestly dont think kenny is looking for "grinder"type players anymore.it was more of a marketing strategy when they didnt want to pay talented players big money,you go for the cheaper,less talented "grinders".but since last year they have been willing to pay the money.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Podsednik will not be back, so that shouldn't be a necessity.

If you sign a Dave Roberts type of leadoff hitter though (.314 OBP vs. lefties compared to .372 vs. righties) than Ozuna could keep his role still.