Joey Cora

DBAHO

From the South Florida Sun - Sentinel;

Joe Girardi, who guided the surprising Marlins into playoff contention despite baseball's lowest payroll, will soon be out as manager after just one season.

On a scale of 1 to 10, Girardi's chances of returning next year are "zero," according to a source who has spoken with the Marlins' front office.

"I don't think there is any chance," the source said.

With two years left on his contract, Girardi would be owed an estimated $1.5 million if no other club picks him up. The Cubs, expected to fire Dusty Baker, have been mentioned as a possible destination.

The Marlins are already compiling information about Girardi's successor, with a trio of third-base coaches likely to receive interviews: Fredi Gonzalez (Braves), Joey Cora (White Sox) and Manny Acta (Mets).

All three have Latin roots and speak fluent Spanish, which would be considered a significant upgrade from the current English-only staff. Gonzalez, who spent a decade with the Marlins as a minor league manager and major league coach, was the runner-up to Girardi after interviewing last fall.

Other possible candidates to replace Girardi include Triple-A Albuquerque manager Dean Treanor, Japanese League manager Trey Hillman, Braves special assistant Jim Fregosi, Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo, Mets bench coach Jerry Manuel and Marlins broadcaster Cookie Rojas, although Rojas is more likely to fill a coaching role.

The last straw for Girardi, 41, apparently was his ill-fated decision to bring back prized right-hander Josh Johnson after an 82-minute rain delay at Dolphin Stadium on Sept. 12.

"Not one of the smarter moves of the year," said the source, adding the Marlins' decision makers were "shocked" Johnson returned to the mound that night.

With the Marlins still clinging to wild-card hopes, Johnson tried to stay loose by playing catch with Dontrelle Willis in an indoor batting cage. That Johnson left four innings later with cramping in his forearm and was subsequently shut down for the year with a strained ligament did not help Girardi's case.

Sunday's 10th-inning meltdown in Atlanta was another strike against Girardi, who had never managed at any level before this season. Marlins management was disappointed Girardi inserted little-used center fielder Reggie Abercrombie as a defensive replacement instead of the more polished Eric Reed.

Two Abercrombie misplays opened the door for the Braves to rally from a four-run deficit to hand the Marlins a crushing 8-7 defeat that essentially ended their playoff chances.

Nor has it helped that Girardi's tense relations with Marlins management have not improved. The rookie manager and General Manager Larry Beinfest "barely speak" and have "no relationship at all," the source said.

Although Beinfest recently said Girardi and his staff deserved "a lot of credit" for the team's turnaround, he stopped short of an outright endorsement. Unlike most GMs, Beinfest is rarely seen in the manager's office anymore.

Marlins President David Samson appeared this week on ESPN and said the team would evaluate Girardi at the end of the season, but the source said that process already has been completed.

There also has been talk of frosty relations between Girardi and first base coach Perry Hill, a holdover from former manager Jack McKeon's staff and a longtime favorite of Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. Hill left the Marlins this week for the fourth time this season because of a family medical problem.

At odds with Loria and the rest of the front office almost from the time he was hired last October, Girardi was nearly fired on Aug. 6 after a home loss to the Dodgers. That was the steamy afternoon when Girardi and bench coach Gary Tuck yelled at Loria to stop criticizing umpire Larry Vanover from his field-level seat, witnesses said.

According to reports, Girardi later apologized to Loria in front of the team, but the manager and owner have been unable to bridge the gulf between them.

"His introverted behavior and lack of people skills have caused most of the problems," the source said of Girardi, who spent one season as Yankees bench coach after a 15-year playing career. "Both sides are at fault."

Sources also told the Sun-Sentinel in the past month that Girardi and the front office have clashed over numerous personnel decisions, including where to play Miguel Cabrera, Dan Uggla and Josh Willingham and whether to use Johnson and Ricky Nolasco as starters or relievers.

Nonetheless, Girardi is widely considered a strong candidate for National League Manager of the Year after guiding a team with 22 rookies and a $15 million payroll into playoff contention. Not since Davey Johnson bolted the Orioles after 1997 has a newly named Manager of the Year failed to return the following year.

It's happened only one other time since the award was instituted 23 years ago. Bobby Cox, named the American League's top manager in 1985, left the Blue Jays to return to the Braves as general manager.

Loria is said to have a good relationship with Fregosi, 64, who hasn't managed since the Blue Jays fired him after the 2000 season.

Hillman, 43, has spent the past four seasons with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, who were leading the Pacific League. He previously worked in the Yankees and Rangers organizations.

Lou Piniella, who left the Devil Rays a year ago, might prove too costly, especially with the Cubs and possibly the Phillies expected to pursue his services.

I'd expect Fredi Gonzales to get the job though if a move was made.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...get him the f*** out of here....

I would rent the U-Haul and even pay for it, if it means it would expedite his departure.

You pay for the Uhaul, Myself and several other Soxtalkers will take the day off of work and help him load it up. In fact, I might just drive as well to make sure he gets out of here quickly.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
You pay for the Uhaul, Myself and several other Soxtalkers will take the day off of work and help him load it up. In fact, I might just drive as well to make sure he gets out of here quickly.

I'm sure they have Sox fans working the toll booths that would be more than happy to "wave" him right through.

Carlton Fisk would be a pretty bad fit for this team as bench coach. The best case scenerio (other than Ozzie being replaced) this offseason would be for Tim Raines to take over duties at 3rd base and the Sox go out and find a nice experienced bench coach for Ozzie. Someone who could get in his ear when it comes to the important decisions throughout a ballgame. A Joe Nossek type of coach, who could keep Ozzie from blowing games with his s***ty in-game managing.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 07:51 AM)
I'm sorry, maybe I just wasn't paying attention... can someone explain all the Cora hate for me?

the fact that he waves every player home no matter how fast they are. So assuming there would be a play at the plate if Podsenick was running he would send konerko in the same situation making him out by 10 feet.

Edited by SoxFan101