Joey Cora

DBAHO

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 02:51 AM)
I'm sorry, maybe I just wasn't paying attention... can someone explain all the Cora hate for me?

Tell me you meant to put that in green....because if you need it explained....then I don't know what to tell you....

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
I would be happy to fly up from San Antonio to help out!! Could we put Cora on a flight out of O'Hare? He would be in Florida faster that way!!

Hell, if we are going to spend money on a plane ticket, I suggest we purchase a flight to Baghdad for him.

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP;

"In the midst of being besieged by hypotheticals and what-ifs regarding the manager's position of the New York Yankees Monday afternoon, former big league manager Lou Piniella spoke in vagaries -- except when one issue arose. He will not consider managing the Washington Nationals... That pronouncement came on the same day that, according to a source with knowledge of the search, the Nationals interviewed Houston Astros bench coach Cecil Cooper and Chicago White Sox third base coach Joey Cora..."

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is the last thirdbase coach that anyone has liked?I cant think of one.

Maybe the next one hired should be given the instructions " only wave runners home when you are very confident that they will be called safe at the plate".

Instead of " if you think they have a chance to score, wave them in ".

I think we'll like the next coach a lot better that way.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)

I guess you could make a case for Larry Bowa for the Yankees. no one's called for his head. plus he's the only other 3rd base coach I can name. I think Dale Sveum is with the Brewers now, but Red Sox fans hated him. then there was Wendell Kim with the Cubs, and now Joey Cora with the White Sox.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
Maybe the next one hired should be given the instructions " only wave runners home when you are very confident that they will be called safe at the plate".

Instead of " if you think they have a chance to score, wave them in ".

I think we'll like the next coach a lot better that way.

there was a lot of good from Cora last year. I can remember multiple instances last year where Cora sent a runner home on a hit to the outfield, and the only reason the runner was safe was because the fielder bobbled or misplayed the ball. now was the pressure of the runner being sent home why the fielder botched the play? or were the runner and Cora just lucky?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
I guess you could make a case for Larry Bowa for the Yankees. no one's called for his head. plus he's the only other 3rd base coach I can name. I think Dale Sveum is with the Brewers now, but Red Sox fans hated him. then there was Wendell Kim with the Cubs, and now Joey Cora with the White Sox.

there was a lot of good from Cora last year. I can remember multiple instances last year where Cora sent a runner home on a hit to the outfield, and the only reason the runner was safe was because the fielder bobbled or misplayed the ball. now was the pressure of the runner being sent home why the fielder botched the play? or were the runner and Cora just lucky?

I remember a lot more images of Sox players out at the plate by 10 ft. or more!

In many instances the catcher had a smoke before tagging them out!

:gosox1:

QUOTE(AirScott @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)

If a third base coach sends every runner home on every play, then yes, he is going to take advantage of some bad throws, misplays in the outfield, or stupid moves by the other team.

The problem of course is that sending every runner possible home, which seems to be Cora's M.O., also runs you into a huge number of outs on all of the plays that aren't close. There are many, many situations where you are better off with a runner sitting on 3rd and 1 less out than with a runner heading home who needs a miracle to score. The 1 time out of 5 or 10 that you get the miracle, yes you score the run, but the other 4 or 9 times, you hand the opposition another out and remove any chance you have to keep the inning going.

No one is ever going to like a third base coach, it's true. The goal though is for you to not notice the third base coach. If a runner gets thrown out at home, it should be on a very close play, so close that you're saying "This was an excellent job by the defense". Likewise, you shouldn't be able to look at the video and say "that guy would have scored easily". All we want is a little decision making, a little sanity from the guy.

Just think. If you've got Crede coming up next, and Konerko is rounding 3rd, and the defender already has the ball in the OF, you just can't send him. Cora never adapts to the situation (i.e. we have a big RBI guy coming up next) and almost never adapts to the baserunner (Konerko, Thome, AJ being sent home). He always, always sends people. Yes, it adds some runs when the defense makes mistakes. But it also subtracts runs and gives the other team too many free outs.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
If Cora goes to Florida, I would like to see Raines go to 3rd base. He definitley knows how to control the basepaths. He did well as a 1B coach last year.

Supposedly Raines wants to work his way to a head coaching job IIRC? If that's true, then 3rd base is the next logical stop for him.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
The Nationals have reportedly interviewed Joey for their managerial position.

I bet Sweet Lou had a lot of good things to say about Joey when he talked to Bowden. Lou loves him from the Seattle days. Joey has a good shot at this job IMO, and frankly I think it will make the White Sox a few runs better.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Could see R. Santana come back up, maybe Shines? Would they take him away from Charlotte?

I think Shines is going to be in the majors next season one way or another.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)

Bevington actually was a pretty good 3rd base coach. I liked Waving Wallace Johnson myself.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Cora can go............ see ya ................never was a fan of him as a player or a coach!

That's two of us!! I never liked Cora either. I just hope that they don't decide to take Dusty Baker instead.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
That's two of us!! I never liked Cora either. I just hope that they don't decide to take Dusty Baker instead.

Please. That name shouldn't even be spoken in any sentence with the sox. UNLESS that sentence is The Chicago White Sox defeated Dusty Baker's Crap sacks in '06.

Edited by TheOcho