President Clinton Raise $7.3 Billion

Texsox

Linked

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton wrapped up his second annual brainstorming summit on Friday with commitments worth $7.3 billion to combat illness, poverty, religious and ethnic conflict and climate change.

The 215 commitments secured during the three-day Clinton Global Initiative in New York were headlined by British billionaire Richard Branson's pledge on Thursday to spend an estimated $3 billion over 10 years fighting global warming.

While the 2006 initiative secured less than the 300 or so commitments made during the inaugural event last year, the value of this year's pledges almost tripled the $2.5 billion achieved in 2005.

"What Richard Branson did here is wonderful, but you don't need $3 billion to replicate it," Clinton told the summit, adding the aim of the initiative was simply to "create a piece of common ground in a highly contentious world."

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch, chief executive of News Corp. also reminded people that commitments to tackle the world's woes did not need to involve a big monetary donation.

"We can do many, many things -- they're not multibillion dollar things -- but maybe they're more valuable," Murdoch said at the event.

Among the pledges made was a commitment to create a green fund expected to raise up to $1 billion and to be managed by former World Bank President James Wolfensohn to support investments in renewable energy.

Microfinance nonprofit Opportunity International pledged to provide $500 million in loans, savings, insurance, and training to help 50 million people work their way out of poverty around the world.

:cheers :notworthy

Say what you will about them as Presidents, but Carter and Clinton have continued public service in a grand way. That's something we haven't seen from other retirees from the Oval Office.

java script:ArticlePaging(

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
great point. I wonder if GWB will follow the path of Ford, Reagan and his father and become a "consultant" or try and help out society like Clinton and Carter.

I'm not fan of H.W., but he and Clinton did raise a ton of money for the tsunami and Hurrican Katrina victims.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
great point. I wonder if GWB will follow the path of Ford, Reagan and his father and become a "consultant" or try and help out society like Clinton and Carter.

Seriously, would you want to be any where near Ford if he had a hammer in his hand? Or worse yet, a power saw?!?!

I think there are two parts to why Carter and Clinton continued civic work well after their terms ended.

1. Their ages. Both were much younger than the others.

2. Liberal do-gooders keep thinking they can change the world for the better.