Luis Gonzalez for LF next year?

santo=dorf

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Yeah, because Ryan Sweeney has accomplished so much in the major leagues.

Luis Gonzalez is older than dirt and his big numbers mysteriously vanished right around the time that MLB started testing for steroids. No thanks.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Would you trade Ryan Sweeney for Luis Gonzalez? Would you sacrifice playing time for a young, up-and-comming stud for an old has-been?

No. I would look into signing Luis Gonzolez to a one-year deal, if it were cheap. His OBP the last two years are .366 and .359, respectively. I would bet anything Sweeney doesn't post a .360 OBP next year, at any level. I'd like to actually win in 2007, not waste at bats grooming Ryan Sweeney for 2009.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
let's see, we've had Sandy Alomar, Jim Thome, Robbie Alomar, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton and others.

Surely there is some really old former Indian who needs cash and would be willing to play left field for us next year.

If we're going to get somebody from Arizona, how about .... CHRIS YOUNG???????????

Strikes out too much

If he was cheap and the whitesox wanted to give both Fields and Sweeney another season at AAA i wouldnt mind. We would definitely need to replace Uribe though and add a leadoff hitter from that position. If Gonzalez sucks or breaks down he can be replaced at all star break with one of our prospects or trade.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
52 doubles from Luis this year. I'd look into other options first, but it wouldnt be an bad stop gap solution if it came down to it.

This is how I feel. Luis would be better than Pods or Sweeney, but not the best we could do. He is still a pretty good ML hitter. Also, a one year contract, tops.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Maybe we can talk Matt Williams out of retirement while we are at it?

And take Bob Melvin as well.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
let's see, we've had Sandy Alomar, Jim Thome, Robbie Alomar, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton and others.

Surely there is some really old former Indian who needs cash and would be willing to play left field for us next year.

If we're going to get somebody from Arizona, how about .... CHRIS YOUNG???????????

Nope he is ours at least till 2009. Of course he might play in 30 games next year because Melvin will find another washed up has been to play CF.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
This is how I feel. Luis would be better than Pods or Sweeney, but not the best we could do. He is still a pretty good ML hitter. Also, a one year contract, tops.

Would have to make sure somebody good was left on the bench for those 2 runners in scoring postion and 2 out situations becuase you can bring it to the bank that Gonzo won't get that hit.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Would have to make sure somebody good was left on the bench for those 2 runners in scoring postion and 2 out situations becuase you can bring it to the bank that Gonzo won't get that hit.

Yeah, its not like Luis Gonzalez has ever had a 9th-inning hit to win a game 7 of the World Series, or anything like that.