Chicago's Olympic Bid

HuskyCaucasian

For those of you who havent seen what CHicago's final Olympic bid looks like, take a look...

ABC 7

CBS 2

NBC 5

Things of note:

Olympic Village on 37 acres just south of McCormick Place

95,000-seat stadium built in Washington Park on the South Side

The full list of proposed competition sites includes:

• Lincoln Park: sailing at Montrose Harbor; tennis at Waveland; whitewater slalom course near Fullerton.

• North Avenue Beach: beach volleyball.

• United Center: basketball, artistic gymnastics.

• University of Illinois Chicago: boxing, swimming, diving.

• Grant Park: archery, triathlon.

• Soldier Field: soccer.

• Northerly Island: cycling.

• McCormick Place: indoor volleyball, weightlifting, judo, wrestling, rhythmic gymnastics, fencing, table tennis, modern pentathlon.

• Washington Park: track and field, opening and closing ceremonies.

• Palos and Sag Valley forest preserve: equestrian events, mountain biking.

• Joliet: shooting.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
• Joliet: shooting.

how fitting. :bang

seriously i hope the city nails this. it would help showcase what a great city Chicago is and bring in enormous financial growth to the Chicagoland area.

I feel like the olympics have failed to bring in money like it should have to other cities

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 07:44 AM)
Seems like a giant waste of time to me.

And what the hell is that 95K-seat stadium going to be used for afterwards? Are the Bears going to move? No other sensible use for it after the Olympics leave.

It's going to be ripped down to a 10,000-20,000 seat stadium for local and national sporting events.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
Why wouldn't they just use Soldier Field? It's already a landmark spot.

The Olympics require the Opening and Closing Ceremonies to be held in a stadium with 80,000+ seats. There is really no easy way to wedge in that many seats in Soldier Field. Plus, to hold track and field, the stadium would need some massive field level alterations.

I really hope Chicago doesn't get them. It seems like a collossal waste of money to me. The Olympics being in other cities has never made me want to visit that city. Building a 95,000 seat stadium and then chopping it down to 10-20000 for what? What could they hold there? The security issues I could do without. Just say no.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
I really hope Chicago doesn't get them. It seems like a collossal waste of money to me. The Olympics being in other cities has never made me want to visit that city. Building a 95,000 seat stadium and then chopping it down to 10-20000 for what? What could they hold there? The security issues I could do without. Just say no.

Let's see:

1)Privately funded.

2)Brings in revenue to hotels which means it brings in money to the city.

3)Creates more jobs.

4)Allows for renovations and further gentrification of the city.

I say yes yes yes and yes again.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
4)Allows for renovations and further gentrification of the city.

Well, I'm certain there's a large group of people living around the proposed Olympic area who wouldn't consider this a benefit. Gentrification pushes out the poor.

On a personal level, I just find it strange to look ahead to 2016 and realize I'll be 31 years old. I'd like to anticipate all the diversity of the Olympics, and how it would bring in an amazing amount of women; but then it occurs to me -- I'll be too old to work the barscene looking for European/South American athletes. :ph34r:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems like a giant waste of time to me.

And what the hell is that 95K-seat stadium going to be used for afterwards? Are the Bears going to move? No other sensible use for it after the Olympics leave.

I would welcome another NFL franchise.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not going to happen

chicago is too attached to the bears

Although this would be a terrible time to launch a new franchise or welcome another team to move here, you never know what kind of shape the Bears will be in after 2016.

Today someone told me they hate the Bears ever since they dumped Ditka and talked about how many fans cheered when the Saints played the Bears a few years ago.

How many people in the Chicago area root for the Packers or Vikings because the Bears ran the Cardinals out of town?

I know people who refuse to support the Bears because of the McCaskey's.

You never know.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
I feel like the olympics have failed to bring in money like it should have to other cities

The last Olympic games which was actually able to turn a profit for the city hosting it, IIRC, was the 1984 games in Los Angeles, which was run with significant chunks of private money funding almost everything. Officially, for example, the city of Atlanta made a profit of about $10 million on the 96 games...but they spent about $1 billion on infrastructure improvements. And that's before the 9/11 attacks and the huge increases in the security budgets that had to come afterwards...new costs which have gotten to the point where it's nearly impossible for a small country, like Greece, to afford to pay for it.

QUOTE(GaelicSoxFan @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Nope. It's now Turner Field, home of the Braves.

That's the thing.

None of the Chicago teams are going to move there.

The Sox are locked in to USCF by the state and the US Cellular contract (although I suppose there's a chance US Cellular would agree to naming the new place US Cellular Field, but that would be stupid too).

The Cubs sure as hell aren't leaving Chewing Gum Park until it collapses.

I HIGHLY doubt the Bears would leave a newly-refurbished Soldier Field.

The Fire just had Toyota Park built for them.

That leaves.......................no one.

Chicago's not getting a 3rd MLB team or 2nd NFL team, and no one would care if another soccer team came to town.

There's no point in building ONE new facility, much less building it, tearing it down, and building a smaller one in its place.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
That's the thing.

None of the Chicago teams are going to move there.

The Sox are locked in to USCF by the state and the US Cellular contract (although I suppose there's a chance US Cellular would agree to naming the new place US Cellular Field, but that would be stupid too).

The Cubs sure as hell aren't leaving Chewing Gum Park until it collapses.

I HIGHLY doubt the Bears would leave a newly-refurbished Soldier Field.

The Fire just had Toyota Park built for them.

That leaves.......................no one.

Chicago's not getting a 3rd MLB team or 2nd NFL team, and no one would care if another soccer team came to town.

There's no point in building ONE new facility, much less building it, tearing it down, and building a smaller one in its place.

College sports, high school sports, concerts...