Chicago's Olympic Bid

HuskyCaucasian

I think despite all of the negatives that Chicago's bid for the olympics would be a huge shot in the arm if it was privately financed for the most part. There are a ton of infrastructure projects that Chicago needs done NOW, but can't get done because they are standing in line behind other cities and states who are facing the same crumbling systems. Heck the rapid transit system alone needs huge rebuilding work on a couple of the CTA lines, not to mention the addition of the circle line to better connect the suburbs. The interstates also need a huge amount of work, not to mention the need to untangle the railroad spurs in the southside and southern suburbs. The olympics are a surefire way to get these projects done because the host city has to be first class, and the transportation system is a huge part of a bid.

Then there is the civic pride that would come with the entire world converging on Chicago for two weeks and getting to see how incredible Chicago is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
The last Olympic games which was actually able to turn a profit for the city hosting it, IIRC, was the 1984 games in Los Angeles, which was run with significant chunks of private money funding almost everything. Officially, for example, the city of Atlanta made a profit of about $10 million on the 96 games...but they spent about $1 billion on infrastructure improvements. And that's before the 9/11 attacks and the huge increases in the security budgets that had to come afterwards...new costs which have gotten to the point where it's nearly impossible for a small country, like Greece, to afford to pay for it.

It is absolutely not possible to measure how profitable (or unprofitable) an Olympics has been for a city. There are far too many costs, and too many after effects, to measure. Some of the major benefits to hosting an Olympics, such as drawing tourism, simply cannot be measured (how do you know if someone came to Chicago in following years because of that one thing?). Its too complex.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
I think despite all of the negatives that Chicago's bid for the olympics would be a huge shot in the arm if it was privately financed for the most part. There are a ton of infrastructure projects that Chicago needs done NOW, but can't get done because they are standing in line behind other cities and states who are facing the same crumbling systems. Heck the rapid transit system alone needs huge rebuilding work on a couple of the CTA lines, not to mention the addition of the circle line to better connect the suburbs. The interstates also need a huge amount of work, not to mention the need to untangle the railroad spurs in the southside and southern suburbs. The olympics are a surefire way to get these projects done because the host city has to be first class, and the transportation system is a huge part of a bid.

Then there is the civic pride that would come with the entire world converging on Chicago for two weeks and getting to see how incredible Chicago is.

And that is one of the big reasons why I like the idea. Chicago is in need of some major transit and transportation work, and this is a great way to spur that funding.

I thought the 95K stadium would remain to the extent that it can hold a Super Bowl or other major events. I really doubt it would chopped down to 20K. Although there would have to be more use than that.

Chicago needs a serious transportation makeover, and if this is the only it gets done then I guess that's the way it has to be.

[quote name=G&T' date='Sep 25, 2006 ->

Chicago needs a serious transportation makeover, and if this is the only it gets done then I guess that's the way it has to be.

10:59 AM' post='1296067]I would say chicago has some of the best public transportation of any city I have been in.

Chicago's transportation system is OK but could use some definite improvements. Like for example, why isn't Metra Electric integrated into the L system? A big chunk of the south side isn't serviced at all by CTA other than buses which they keep reducing service on. Despite the fact that New Jersey doesn't have any non-greater metro area population centers other than Atlantic City, it actually has a good system.

Newark has a subway. Light rail on the Jersey side of the Delaware from Trenton to Camden. Newark and Jersey City served with PATH subway service and light rail and all sorts of rail in North Jersey.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
The biggest problem with Chicago;s overall rapid transit system is much of the infrastructure is aging quickly and isn't able to be fully utilized because it is literally crumbling.

So...can someone explain to me how spending all the money on security improvements, new stadia, police overtime, and so forth is worth the extra billions it would cost beyond simply spending the money to improve the transit system?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
So...can someone explain to me how spending all the money on security improvements, new stadia, police overtime, and so forth is worth the extra billions it would cost beyond simply spending the money to improve the transit system?

Because if we get the Olympics, there would be federal funding (and state) made available to the area well above and beyond current levels. Also, private industry's contributions may go towards transit, and not just stadia and such.

Plus, just revamping parts of the transit system won't help us get more tourist money, before, during and after the Olympics.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
Well, I'm certain there's a large group of people living around the proposed Olympic area who wouldn't consider this a benefit. Gentrification pushes out the poor.

On a personal level, I just find it strange to look ahead to 2016 and realize I'll be 31 years old. I'd like to anticipate all the diversity of the Olympics, and how it would bring in an amazing amount of women; but then it occurs to me -- I'll be too old to work the barscene looking for European/South American athletes. :ph34r:

Lol, I'll be 30. How crazy would that be?

Anyway, the plan is for Olympic Village to turn into Condo's and affordable housing which is much better than the parking lot it currently is.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
I dont see how building an olympic stadium to be stripped down after the olympics will bring tourist money after.

I'd rather see Chicago spend the money on updating its transportation system and making the lives of people who actually live there better first.

And that's how we'll get the money, via the Olympics.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
I dont see how building an olympic stadium to be stripped down after the olympics will bring tourist money after.

I'd rather see Chicago spend the money on updating its transportation system and making the lives of people who actually live there better first.

The stadium means little for later tourist dollars. What I was referring to was the draw to Chicago as a city after it held the Olympics.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Chicago's transportation system is OK but could use some definite improvements. Like for example, why isn't Metra Electric integrated into the L system? A big chunk of the south side isn't serviced at all by CTA other than buses which they keep reducing service on. Despite the fact that New Jersey doesn't have any non-greater metro area population centers other than Atlantic City, it actually has a good system.

Newark has a subway. Light rail on the Jersey side of the Delaware from Trenton to Camden. Newark and Jersey City served with PATH subway service and light rail and all sorts of rail in North Jersey.

How would it be integrated? That doesnt make sense really. Apparently you have never been to LA and see what a lack of public trans can do to a city. Chicago's is not the best (i think DC is awesome) but we have so many routes to get within blocks of where you want to go, its one of the tops IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
How would it be integrated? That doesnt make sense really. Apparently you have never been to LA and see what a lack of public trans can do to a city. Chicago's is not the best (i think DC is awesome) but we have so many routes to get within blocks of where you want to go, its one of the tops IMO.

Chicago's system is better than most cities. But I do agree that CTA and Metra could be linked much more effectively. And that is a big part of that 2020 transit plan for the city. Olympic money would get that rolling.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Just wondering, what kind of CTA and metra link is being called for?

From what I recall offhand...

A CTA circle line (just got a flyer on my door from the Alderman, it goes through our neighborhood), which basically goes from the Loop southwest along the Orange line corridor to Ashland... follows Ashland north to around North Avenue... then turns East and ends at North/Clybourn to link up with the Red and Brown. This will supposedly link up with stops on 5 or 6 Metra line stops.

Metra is putting in a beltline too, from O'Hare west along I-90 to around Rte 59 or Randall Road, then south through the west burbs all the way to Joliet. The link is at O'Hare.

CTA wants a new line or an extension to Oak Brook, and to link up directly at stops in Oak Park that are already right next to each other.

What I'd LIKE to see is links at existing places... for example, the green line goes right over Northwestern station for the Metra. Why not just build a stairwell entrance right there? Things like that can be done easily.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
Just wondering, what kind of CTA and metra link is being called for?

The "Gray Line"

http://community-2.webtv.net/GLRTS/GRAYLINECONVERSION/

There has been a proposal to turn Metra Electric into an L line, charging CTA fares. It could be done as simply as leasing trains from Metra.