Would Cotts be a decent option for a starter

Wanne

I'm almost starting to think he's worth a shot...especially if a package sends BMac, Freddy or Javie somewhere. Maybe he's better suited as a starter. I know he was usually put in with inherited runners for the most part...but the guy did not look comfortable all year long. At one point...wasn't that a thought at some time in the past year or so? Leaves a hole in the bullpen...not really IMO. It was a hole with him in there this year.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I'm almost starting to think he's worth a shot...especially if a package sends BMac, Freddy or Javie somewhere. Maybe he's better suited as a starter. I know he was usually put in with inherited runners for the most part...but the guy did not look comfortable all year long. At one point...wasn't that a thought at some time in the past year or so? Leaves a hole in the bullpen...not really IMO. It was a hole with him in there this year.

I used to think so too. But, his season as a relief pitcher has been so far opposite of last year and the number of long balls he gives up is scary so I just am not sure anymore. Lefties in the starting rotation are good things though and if he can get straightened out as a starter I think it's worth a look anyway.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
So should we not be thinking about adding Brandon to the rotation next year?

That's kind of my point. Everybody's lamented about how BMac is not suited for relief and is a starter. Well...the same could be said for Cotts. He's been a starter his whole life and honestly it takes a certain mindset to come out of the pen IMO. I would like to see him come up with another pitch or work on command of the off-speed. But he sure as hell may be more useful as a starter than he has this year coming out of the pen.

I'm not sold on him being a valuable trade piece either, although lefties out of the pen are valuable...he really diminished a ton of his value this year. I just think it's an option to possibly look at.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
That's kind of my point. Everybody's lamented about how BMac is not suited for relief and is a starter. Well...the same could be said for Cotts. He's been a starter his whole life and honestly it takes a certain mindset to come out of the pen IMO. I would like to see him come up with another pitch or work on command of the off-speed. But he sure as hell may be more useful as a starter than he has this year coming out of the pen.

I'm not sold on him being a valuable trade piece either, although lefties out of the pen are valuable...he really diminished a ton of his value this year. I just think it's an option to possibly look at.

Brandon actually has complimentary pitches to his fastball which is something Cotts is severly lacking. There's really no comparing the 2.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)

There's a difference between coming up a starter and being suited to be a starter and coming up as a starter and yet still being suitable/best suited for the bullpen.

Cotts has been a starter all his career before the big leagues...but he doesn't have the stuff of a starter. After a few innings, every hitter has seen the same pitches over and over and over again.

BMac has 3 good pitches already...decent low to mid 90's fastball that is a little too straight...big overhand curve ball, and gorgeous changeup. That's enough for some pitchers to get by...but even with that, he was working on a 2 seam fastball last offseason, which could be another really good pitch for him. So we're talking the difference between 1-2 pitches and 3-4 pitches between the 2 guys.

Furthermore, when Cotts was good in 05, a good portion of that came because he has somewhat of a deceptive delivery with the sidearm component. It makes the fastball look faster than it really is. Logan is an even more extreme example. When you only see this for a few batters each game, it works really well, because it takes some time to adapt to it. But like a lot of guys with tricky deliveries...if you don't have the stuff to go with it, i.e. you're not throwing upper 90's or something like that...eventually people can adapt to the delivery.

QUOTE(GaelicSoxFan @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
Have you forgotten that Jerry Manuel already tried Cotts as a starter? He wet himself.

Well, that one's just unfair...a couple of games started under the worst possible conditions is just no way to judge a pitcher. Seriously...middle of a pennant chase, going for the sweep, at Yankee Stadium, and you start a rookie? Wow.

We tried Grilli and Rauch as starters as well. Both of them are now succeeding in other peoples' bullpens.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Yes because 1 pitch starters are always super effective and good.

Especially when the "sneakiness" to their fastball disappears.

Now Cotts just has that girly leg kick and a straight, 90 mph fastball without deception.

He can leave immediately with Garcia and Podsednik.

Edited by Flash Tizzle