Trade Mark Buehrle to...

WHITESOXRANDY

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Does Buehrle have a lot of trade value after this awful season for him?

It seems with all Williams positive traits, he doesn't know the damn thing about trading players at their peak value.

I'm not merely suggesting this due to Buehrle's troubles. I've stated before it was ridiculous (IMO) that not one starter was delt after the World Series. Any reasonable person would have guessed their collective statistics would likely regress; and if it didn't, they were going to command a higher salary the following season.

What made it even more difficult to comprehend is f***ing Brandon McCarthy was available to replace whomever was traded. AND Vazquez was acquired. It honestly made too much sense not to trade a WS starter. Our bullpen was noticeably weak -- trading one could have replenished that part of our team as well. How many games has the bullpen cost us? Or an entire season without McCarthy?

I can't say these moves would have been the difference between our current standings and a playoff birth, but I believe we'd be better off than our current situation.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Does Buehrle have a lot of trade value after this awful season for him?

The entire world knows Mark pitched tired and sore for the majority of the year. Having a full offseason, plus a stepped up workout regiment will make Mark a prime canditate for a HUGE year IMO. As a matter of a fact, I am going to be the first to say 2007 is when MB finally wins 20 games in a year. You heard it here first.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
If I'm in St. Louis's shoes...I don't know if I could possibly say yes any faster.

If I'm in Chicago's shoes...I consider this deal only if I'm 100% certain I can't resign Buehrle. Then I try to get more than this.

I actually don't think there's a chance the Cards would do this. They're losing almost their entire pitching staff, and Wainwright and Reyes are their only two strong young pitchers. By having two cheap starters for the next few years, they'll be able to pay some money to fill their other holes a lot more efficiently than if they traded for Buehrle, and what's about to be a huge contract of his.

Why do people want to trade Buehrle? One bad year? In which he had an extended season? C'mon people...

He's 27.

He's an innings-eater.

He's a lefty.

He pitches fast.

He pitches to contact.

He's had ONE SO-SO year.

Shoot, even Randy Johnson had and ERA of 5 this year. Mark will bounce back just like the rest of the Sox.

Edited.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Why do people want to trade Buehrle? One bad year? In which he had an extended season AND the WBC? C'mon people...

He's 27.

He's an innings-eater.

He's a lefty.

He pitches fast.

He pitches to contact.

He's had ONE SO-SO year.

Shoot, even Randy Johnson had and ERA of 5 this year. Mark will bounce back just like the rest of the Sox.

Mark didn't pitch in the WBC...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Mark didn't pitch in the WBC...

^^^

Yep there were a few things wrong there.

1.) Mark did not pitch in the WBC

2.) Randy Johnson is 43 years old (16 years older than Buehrle) and bad, so I'm not sure what the comparison is there.

3.) Mark Buehrle has a ton of trade value.

4.) Buehrle is a free agent after the 2007 season (next year). The Sox have already made one attempt (midseason) to re-sign him and failed. If you can not lock up Buehrle to a new multiyear deal before Spring Training of next season then he absolutely needs to be traded because he will be walking after next year. With a new purposal in front of the owners to eliminate draft pick compensation the Sox could get nothing in return for Buehrle is he does go elsewhere via free agency (not that any draft picks would be equal compensation).

BOTTOM LINE: If Buehlre can't be locked up to a multi year deal before next season starts he needs to be dealt. The Sox have to get some kind of fair compensation for the loss of Buehrle and an offseason trade is the only way to do so.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
Why do people want to trade Buehrle? One bad year? In which he had an extended season? C'mon people...

He's 27.

He's an innings-eater.

He's a lefty.

He pitches fast.

He pitches to contact.

He's had ONE SO-SO year.

Edited.

Because he's about to be in line for a huge raise with many years included in the deal.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
It seems with all Williams positive traits, he doesn't know the damn thing about trading players at their peak value.

I'm not merely suggesting this due to Buehrle's troubles. I've stated before it was ridiculous (IMO) that not one starter was delt after the World Series. Any reasonable person would have guessed their collective statistics would likely regress; and if it didn't, they were going to command a higher salary the following season.

What made it even more difficult to comprehend is f***ing Brandon McCarthy was available to replace whomever was traded. AND Vazquez was acquired. It honestly made too much sense not to trade a WS starter. Our bullpen was noticeably weak -- trading one could have replenished that part of our team as well. How many games has the bullpen cost us? Or an entire season without McCarthy?

I can't say these moves would have been the difference between our current standings and a playoff birth, but I believe we'd be better off than our current situation.

If we would have traded one of our big 4 starters after the world series last year, I would have thought THAT was ridiculous. We were trying to repeat and I wanted nothing less than our big 4 while doing it. Real GM's don't have the benefit of hindsight. Kenny kept the core together. You say "not one" as if you would have liked him to trade away even more than that. I'm glad you're posting on a white sox message board and have no affiliation with the team whatsoever.

El Duque was traded after the World Series, and the Sox were shopping Garcia.

As for trading players when their value is high, what about Miguel Olivo and Simas? I heard the Jeremy Reed wing in Cooperstown is currently being torn apart. Matt Guerrier won 18 games in the minors before he was traded.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
I actually don't think there's a chance the Cards would do this. They're losing almost their entire pitching staff, and Wainwright and Reyes are their only two strong young pitchers. By having two cheap starters for the next few years, they'll be able to pay some money to fill their other holes a lot more efficiently than if they traded for Buehrle, and what's about to be a huge contract of his.

I understand the reasons why St. Louis wouldn't want to do this, but some of those same reasons apply to why they would do it. Yes, they're losing their entire starting staff...but they're losing their entire starting staff! Aside from Carpenter, they really don't have anyone in their rotation. So if they want to shoot for the division next year...they can either hope that all of their young guys progress, or they can pick up a veteran wearing a ring.

I believe that Jim Edmonds and his $12m. salary also come off their books this year, IIRC.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
I understand the reasons why St. Louis wouldn't want to do this, but some of those same reasons apply to why they would do it. Yes, they're losing their entire starting staff...but they're losing their entire starting staff! Aside from Carpenter, they really don't have anyone in their rotation. So if they want to shoot for the division next year...they can either hope that all of their young guys progress, or they can pick up a veteran wearing a ring.

I believe that Jim Edmonds and his $12m. salary also come off their books this year, IIRC.

Edmonds has a $10M team option and a $3M buyout so yeah they'll have another $9M comming off the books in CF next year.

I just think that you have be careful with giving out these 5yr/ 70 mil dollar contracts. In most instances these pitchers do not live up to expectations i.e. Burnett, Pavano, Hudson. The only pitcher I have seen be consistent with such a large contract was Mussina. Buehrle has thrown a ton of innings over the past few years. Eventally this catches up. Also in past years the division was not nearly as competitive i.e. Detroit, last year Minnesota's offense.